Home Technical Talk

Education (university and work experience)

I have searched for threads on these things but I haven't had any joy.

Hey guys, I reached the point where I'm going to have to make some decisions about my future and what I want to do, I originally wanted to do something with games ever since I was in primary school, but forgot about it until about 6 months ago (I'm 22 now). I left High School with 2 A's and a B at A-level, with the view of going to university to do something arty/designy. after under-estimating my potential I applied for a local uni that was way below my expectations, and when they sent me the mind numbing first assignment (after too much education) I couldn't believe how inane it was, so left before even beginning. I worked for two years as a Sign Maker, learning ins and out of vector graphics etc, and as a purveyor of ultimate evil...oops,I mean,a nightclub photographer. So I went back to education, with a view of going to a good university to do 3D stuff, specifically with games (I enjoy all 3d, but modelling etc for games in particular), I'm now doing another 2 A levels which I'm on course for High B/As and evening courses (on in 3d animation, which is what got me interested), I might have chance to fit another humanity A level in next year too, and life classes and stuff to help with the weak points in my art.

potentially leaving me with 5/6 Good A levels, A portfolio in traditional art and photography which I've been gathering. That's enough of the background, Now, the questions.

1. I have the grades/ability to go on most courses in the UK (university wise), so is it worth me going on one? or, after next year, try to get on the work ladder and advance up, learning as I do now in my spare time?

I can see advantages of both, I like structured briefs/work for me to work through methodically, but I also like to research the stuff myself, sometimes finding I go in different directions all the time. so I'm not sure.

2. would taking a more academic course and still doing the art in my spare time be a reasonable option?

my first thoughts are that art is all I've ever been comparatively good at, and all I can really see myself doing, however it'd be nice to fall back on something... boring yet more secure.

3. how would I go about getting useful work experience in the industry?, for example over the summer?, has anyone done this at all??.

I feel that by reading these forums and looking around the net and seeing how all these amazing artists are doing things, you can learn lots, especially when you get people creating tutorials etc, so I'd like to go and see someone working to see how they handle their workflow etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, any threads that I may have missed etc,

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    If you've got a good portfolio of traditional art and a good array of A-levels, I'd take a look at some fine art courses, preferably ones where they have a respected curriculum of traditional drawing/painting/design/illustration/sculpture as opposed to the more modern interpretations of "fine art" like sticking bits of wood together or throwing paint at canvases, because you won't learn much that way.

Do some research of fine art courses and that will give you a good solid foundation which you can use to get into whatever sort of art job takes your fancy - should game art not be your thing, you could always go in for design, illustration or any number of things a good fine art degree would bring.

I would avoid courses specifically tailored towards "games" because they always tend to be catch-all, low-quality affairs with poor teaching standards and little guidance or experience to be gained from them.

Much better to take a course which gives you a solid foundation in the basics, which can be applied to whichever field catches your interest later on.

I'd probably avoid going straight into work and skipping university unless you really need the money and nothing else right now.
    University is a great chance to play around without any real risks, you can learn a lot and gain a degree which will open a lot of doors for you in future.

It's harder to get an internship or temporary games job over a summer because they usually look for more long term employees, but it's not unheard of (I got a junior artist position up in Dundee in for 3 months in 2004).

So yeah, do a lot of research onto any courses which sound interesting, ask around and check out how the students rated them, and see what their curriculum involves. You don't want to be stuck learning something you're not interested in for 3 years and paying for it.

Just my thoughts, hope that helps a bit smile.gif
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    I have a mix feeling about education. I just graduated BFA as a 3D game major myself. As much as I want to work hard by myself, sometimes the class environment really affect me more than I wanted them to. There were quite many classes that both teacher and classmates made the class kind of discouraging...

By the way I just finished a class taught by Dabu in this forum and it was a really great experience. My finals didn't turn out very good, but Dabu has been a great teacher and my classmates were awesome. Classes like these are really encouraging and give me lots of inspiration and connection. You really have to consider carefully how the learning environments will be.

And I agree with MoP, some of my most helpful classes were not computer classes actually, but were my charcoal drawing and oil/acrilic painting classes. Understanding how to draw and paint really bumped my poor 3D skills up by a ton. Not to mention there are many many cool digital art pieces being made by tradition fine artists these days.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    [ QUOTE ]

I would avoid courses specifically tailored towards "games" because they always tend to be catch-all, low-quality affairs with poor teaching standards and little guidance or experience to be gained from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT! I feel like I got burned and payed quite a bit of money for my school. Most of what I have learned was either self taught or on forums like PC. Game school was a waste of money for me.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take as many drawing and painting courses as you can.

Take some CGSociety courses for what you are interested in, anything is better the University if you aren't concerned with the experience or the all around education. I just graduated from a highly regarded art school and the best course I took was a foundation Drawing 1 over the summer because I transferred from architecture and skipped my entire foundation year.

Once you get some experience, a BFA or degree isn't nearly as important. From what I hear, it is important for getting in the door, as it shows committment and some experience. If you can put together a strong portfolio, combined with your real-world experience and prior jobs, I don't think you should have a trouble getting a job as a game artist.

A degree is all well and good, but it'll be 3 or 4 years then until you enter the industry, and you'll likely have alot of debt. Its personally not a situation I'd want to be in. My suggestion would be to spend the next year creating a portfolio. If you have the background, and work hard, the good game art will come naturally.
  • Ramj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantastic, this has really cemented what i should be doing, the fine art route seems to be the way to go( i agree about modern stuff too, yark), i was a little unsure at first because my brother did fine arts and is now working in a mail room somewhere, :-), it seems so obvious that it is the only real way i can go, thanks guys!
  • PolyPutty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started teaching myself 3D about at the age of 15 or 16, now I am 21 with a career in video games. I am self taught and advanced my skills rather well. My company also seems to like it that I can teach myself very fast. I did go to college, but I did it in traditional art skills, I feel they are the most valuable thing you can have. getting a degree in traditional art skills pushed me to the proffesional level. What it really comes down to is what works best for you. If you can get good in your spare time, good for you. Some people like the comfort of an academic setting. I got their without much education, but then again I worked my ass off in high school teaching myself while all my friends were off screwing around. Just makes sure you get an education that teaches art and not tools. It is a lot harder to learn how to become a good artist than how to use a 3d package. I would avoid schools that just teach the software.

//edit
    Also if you are intrested in animation take classes to get good at animation, I took a couple 2d animation classes and I think they help both maintain your drawing abilitiy and learning timing the good old fashioned way. You obviously will want to learn how to do it in 3d as well since its a different ball game, but same principals.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I went to the Art Institute of California - San Diego. While a lot of stuff I learned was self taught I did get a lot of connections that helped me get industry leads. I think that was worth a lot of money on it's own. I attended GDC and other conferences for free, even had a free GIGA Pass this year.

The point with those schools is you get out what you put in. A lot of the instructors are older vets with not much next gen tech stuff but there are a few. Though like any education you get out of it like you put in and I can't stress that enough.

I would do a lot of traditional art. I started with traditional art, sketches, etc and while in school moved more towards 3d and that type of stuff because I enjoyed it more but my 2d skills are still pretty solid and you can see a huge difference in people with 2d skills and not with 3d work most of the time.

Just do a lot of research and find out whats the most beneficial decision for you for your education and your finances.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Self teaching is great - it shows a company that you had the skills to pick up something by yourself, showing initiative.

Having a degree is superb because as well helping to protect your future, it will show a prospective company that you were able to complete a series of tasks and deadlines set by others - and to an ability level godd enough to get award a degree.
  • Ramj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm a pretty competent artist if i need to be, it was always the thing that i was good at throughout ... everything, but i do prefer deadlines and being taught, i'm not too worried about being taught software etc because i'd also be teaching myself in my spare time too, whilst we're on the subject then,

-any art colleges/universities i should be considering? in the uk or otherwise?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Did a degree in CG myself. Hardly learned a thing. This was basically because I spend (and had been doing for the 2 years previous) been self taught and doing a lot of practice. It often takes awhile for things to get implemented into a teaching curriculum, and with the speed this field moves, the teaching can lag a fair distance behind.

There was also a LOT of more or less useless fluff that wouldn't directly help you get a job.

I second was Jesse says about a traditional art degree. That stuff has a long and strong foundation that can be applied to different fields. It would be good to learn that at college, and keep up with cg self teaching.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Get your foundation art classes down, and avoid professors that are not into teaching art technique. Pretty much all my computer classes taught by my professors were a joke. Most of the time they mentioned all the wonderful things that could be done with 3d or scripting but never showed how to do it and to make things worse due to their deadlines never gave enough time to learn anything new and experiment.

Fine art classes have become a joke too. There are to many professors out there that think working in a realistic style is uncreative and don't bother to explain how to produce good colors in paintings and don't explain to students how to make use of the media. So be careful.

Alex
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    Self teaching is great - it shows a company that you had the skills to pick up something by yourself, showing initiative.

Having a degree is superb because as well helping to protect your future, it will show a prospective company that you were able to complete a series of tasks and deadlines set by others - and to an ability level godd enough to get award a degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreeing with this. Having been entirely self-taught in 3d, I consider it one of my strongest assets, if only because I know that my skills are future-proofed by my ability to quickly adapt and learn new techniques and software.

Having said that, I do have a degree, but its in design (with a heavy focus on printing...ugh) and business management (I'm a "multidisciplinary studies" major, which is pretty much choose your own adventure.) Still, the piece of paper means that I won't have to worry about missing opportunities because I don't have a degree, and the classes that I took give me a wider range of skills and understanding that I wouldn't have gotten with a 4 year fine art degree. Although I do wish I had more studio critiques, polycount and the like provide plenty of feedback smile.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    If you have a sweet portfolio, no one at any game studio I know will refuse to hire you just because you have no formal education. In this biz skill is what matters. You do not NEED any schooling. I dropped out of high school and taught myself game art and I’m doing fine.

But I agree some classes in traditional classes would be helpful in learning. I sometimes wish I would have taken some. So here’s my personal breakdown

School education needed = 0%
    Traditional art school (perspective anatomy drafting architecture) = could all be helpful
    School focused on game art or game design = Money pit.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Bumping this up because I have a similar situation. I'm currently in school and have obtained a job in the industry. So now I'm doing school and 32 hour work weeks at the same time and I don't have time for anything else. My school projects are looking bad because I don't have enough anytime to work on them so my portfolio is suffering.

Ive been thinking that if I quit school Ill have a lot more time to just to do personal projects and get my portfolio looking better. If I don't Ill be spending almost all my time doing online gen ed classes for another year. Ive almost made up my mind on quitting but wanted to know if any of you thought I would benefit from finishing.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bumping this up because I have a similar situation. I'm currently in school and have obtained a job in the industry. So now I'm doing school and 32 hour work weeks at the same time and I don't have time for anything else. My school projects are looking bad because I don't have enough anytime to work on them so my portfolio is suffering.

Ive been thinking that if I quit school Ill have a lot more time to just to do personal projects and get my portfolio looking better. If I don't Ill be spending almost all my time doing online gen ed classes for another year. Ive almost made up my mind on quitting but wanted to know if any of you thought I would benefit from finishing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate I know you personally and trust me I thought about leaving school many times when I was there. BUT how much money have you already thrown at that school just to throw it all away and not have that degree? Yeah true your life is hectic as hell right now but it's for a short amount of time and then you will have your degree and no matter what that's a huge thing in life.

I would stay in school. BUT... I understand the other side as well.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    theres also something I dont think has been touched on yet: you can get a job in the industry without qualifications but if you're in a situation where you're up against a similar applicant, it may tip the balance in your favour. Theres other things besides the main subject that you lean in uni such as meeting enforced deadlines and other organisational stuff (heh if you do well smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    What Rhino said is pretty much how I feel about it. When we're looking at candidates, its all about the quality of work. That said, rooster might have a point. If there were two candidates with work on a completely even footing (unlikely) and zero industry experience, then perhaps the degree candidate looks better on paper.
    But furthermore, If you ever want to try working abroad ramj, you'll want that degree. You'll have a much, much tougher time getting a job in the US, Canada or wherever without it.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Nate, the education and degree will last a lifetime. Sure, it isn't the most prestigious of schools that we go to and we both now where we stand as far as skills go, but the job you are in right now might not be there in 6 months, or 6 days.

But having that degree, especially as close as you are to being finished, can open more doors for you in the future.

What if 5 or 10 years from now you decide you want to do something else? Or move up to a different position at another company that wants people with degrees?

Having your degree under your belt might not seem like it's a huge door opener, but for as much as you have already invested, and as good as your stuff is, you could really take that to the bank by the time you graduate.

I would lower the hours, or take fewer classes, but don't stop going, especially as young as you are. It's sooo hard for people to get motivated to go back to school once they have been out for a long time.

Anyhow, just my 2.5 cents.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Yea after talking with a lot of people, and listening to you guys, Ive decided to stick it through. I have three art classes left. I plan on taking one per quarter so I can actually get some good work out of them, then just finish up my gen ed as fast as possible after that. I hate the idea of being at school for another year but I dont want to have regrets in the future. Thanks for the advice
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Nate if you are about to finish then stick it through, no point in leaving if you are almost done. If you are already in debt with students loans you might as well get the paper to go with it. If you don't have enough time for school just cut down partime status, there really is no reason to rush through it. I did and I regret it because I didn't have enough time to get to know my peers and enjoy school.

Alex
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah for sure. You don't want to rush through it and end up a miserable old man like that one guy from school. What the hell was his name? Oh yeah Donald Ott. Man that guy is grumpy.

Good for you for sticking it out Nate. Now just start working on some kick ass pieces.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Rush through it? I'm the last one left still there!

This is my last week though...I showed em how to turn a 3 year degree into a 4-year ;D

Actually I was feeling the strain too. I didn't have mommy and daddy paying my bills, and I didn't wanna pay my loans for the rest of my life like my old man does...so I cut it down to 3-4 classes per quarter.

And Nate -- If you aren't taking those Gen-Eds online, you should for the last few quarters. They are a joke.

Grumpy? Wait till this week is over and I stand next to a bunch of clown-shoes who half-assed their way through this school and got the same degree I did. Some of my bitterness will recede when I don't have to watch more dread presentations by people who flushed $80,000 down the drain.

That's just a few less applicants I gotta worry about!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good for you Nate, being that close and seeing it through is the best thing to do in my opinion.

My 25 cents worth:
    - Most schools are crap.
    - It's a weird dynamic, almost everyone I have ever talked to that has come out on the other side of a degree has said it wasn't worth the money and time they put into it BUT they are glad they have it.
    - Most students come to the experience of higher learning with the attitude of I'm paying this much I demand a degree the only thing I should have to do is wait. Schools cow down to consumerism more and more letting their standards slide, hurting the people who actually want to learn. Especially hurting those who don't coast in on daddies dime.
    - Guild Hall is about the only school worth its weight.

What matters is that you walk into an interview with a good set of skills and a great portfolio, how you get there is up to you. Just don't think any of it is handed to you. I look at a degree like a mechanic looks at tools, you can use it to scratch your nuts or you can fix your car with it, your call.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

What matters is that you walk into an interview with a good set of skills and a great portfolio, how you get there is up to you. Just don't think any of it is handed to you. I look at a degree like a mechanic looks at tools, you can use it to scratch your nuts or you can fix your car with it, your call.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Quoted For Truth,
    I have found schools to be entirely overpriced for no good reason. I can't speak for all schools though. I payed a great deal of money to go to school where a learned very little.
    I learned the most from practice and polycount. However like many people have said before, graduating from school shows that you can hit deadlines. If you turn school into a personal thing and make it a point to deliver exceptional quality (regardless of instructors underwhelming requirements) on time you'll gain a lot.