Home Technical Talk

ShaderFX 1.5 is now available

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ben Cloward polycounter lvl 18
Hi Everyone!

Kees Rijnen and I would like to announce that version 1.5 of ShaderFX (the node-based real-time shader editor for 3ds Max) is now available at http://www.lumonix.net/shaderfx.html. This version is a free upgrade to those who have already purchased the plugin - and as always - a free demo is available for download.

After we released the first version of ShaderFX, we received tons of good ideas for how to make the software better. We went to work and had a great time adding all kinds of powerful new shader tools. We're including some features in this version that were previously only possible in high-end software renderers - or to artists backed by a team of graphics programmers. These complex effects are now possible in ShaderFX by simply wiring a few nodes together. We've been able to create some really amazing shaders in the process of developing the tool, and we're really excited to launch this new version and see what all of you guys can create with it.

Here's a quick look at some of the new features we're including in the new version:

* Subsurface Scattering – For skin and other translucent materials
* Perlin Noise – To create procedurally generated texture effects
* Glow Material - For creating bright glowing objects
* Bump Mapping – For adding surface detail with a gray-scale height map
* Object Space Normal Mapping – Extended normal map format support
* DXT5 Normal Maps – For high quality four to one compression of normal maps
* Relief Mapping – Simulates complex surface detail while maintaining a low poly count
* Refraction – Light bending for transparent objects
* Multi-Subobject Materials - Allows for multiple shaders on a single model
* Projected Texturing – Can project a texture onto a model in world or object space
* DXSAS Support – Export shaders using Microsoft's standard for annotation and syntax
* Custom Code Node – Programmers can insert custom HLSL code into the node tree
* Instruction Count Report – Shows shader's performance and allows for optimization

We've included a more detailed description of each of the new features on the web site as well as demo videos on most of the new features. Come visit the site, take a look at the new features and tell us what you think!

http://www.lumonix.net/shaderfx.html

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you have a period in your link in the top one there =)
  • Ben Cloward
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed. Thanks!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Ben,

Does a purchase also include future upgrades?
  • Ben Cloward
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Vassago! A purchase will include any future upgrades up through version 2.0. That means you'll get any bug fixes and new features that we add between now and the release of version 2. Once we release version 2, current license owners will be given a significant discount. The price to upgrade to version 2 will probably be less than half of the current price - although we haven't decided on the specifics yet.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds good Ben, thanks.
    I'll probably pick this up later tonight. Great work smile.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    great news Ben ! Those new features look awesome smile.gif I can't wait to give them a try
  • Pavel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pavel polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks guys for making 3dsmax so coolness to work with material...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Attempting to talk my bosses into it, awesome tool guys!
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the BEST tool I have ever used. I've been using it since December or so and it is worth its code in gold.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya Professor, get back to your total war duties, eh? wink.gif

Yeah, ShaderFX is great. Makes it very easy for artists to create awesome shaders.
  • Ben Cloward
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the kind words guys. It's encouraging to hear that you like the tool.

So I'm curious - now that you've tried it out, what do you think is still missing? What additional features would you like to see? Kees and I have some pretty cool ideas for including in the next version - but I'm interested to hear what you guys think we should add.

-Ben
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it possible to have ShaderFX output the resulting shader into a renderable material? I understand some elements (like SSS for example) cannot be setup with max material like that. But if it could at least set up a diffuse/normal/spec/color values, etc etc.
    Not sure if that's possible, but it'd be damn cool smile.gif
  • Ben Cloward
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A real-time shader that can render in a software renderer is a really cool idea. However, hardware and software renderers are very different from each other. Creating a system that could render in both would probably require building both renderers together from the ground up with that goal in mind.

ShaderFX can do a lot of things that Max's software render doesn't allow you to do, like control the lighting model directly. It's much more flexible. On the other hand, Max's software renderer can do a lot of things that real-time shaders aren't capable of - like ray tracing, global illumination, high quality texture filtering and anti-aliasing, etc. The two renderers weren't intended to be compatible with each other and I'm pretty sure that trying to make them work together would not be possible.

Instead of redesigning the way Max renders, we've chosen to focus on building a system that works with the way Max currently works. So if you want a shader that will show in the viewport as well as render, you can use the renderable material shot that appears at the bottom of the DirectX material rollout. While this does require you do "do it yourself" - building the renderable material from scratch based on your settings in the shader, it does allow your viewport shaders to be rendered.

Now that I think about it though - we could probably design a system that would automatically populate that map slots in that renderable material based on your real-time shader settings. We'll look into it. Thanks for the cool idea!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have rendered Max viewport shaders before, using Make Preview. If I force my card to aniso AA, etc., it does a decent job.

Still like the idea of scanline conversions though.

Seeing this tool Ben makes me wish we used fixed-function shaders! Kudos to you and Kees.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i have a dumb question for you ben: i use the DX display thingy for normal, spec, glow, etc....

so what your shader does is render in viewport...plus has lots of other toys to mess around with right? and is more user friendly for peeps that don't know how to write shaders?

also, is it superior at displaying textures ie: normal, spec, etc...than DX display? or am i missing the mark on understanding this?

i may not be making sense...i'm tired. ha.

thankns
  • Ben Cloward
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Eric! I've used the preview render feature in Max as well. It works pretty good. While typing my previous post I had a cool idea that we may add to future versions of ShaderFX that will allow you to render that materials. I need to test it out. We'll see . . .

One thing that I've seen lots of studios doing is using ShaderFX for a mock-up and communication tool. So the artists will create the shader in ShaderFX that they want, export the FX file and take that to the programmers and say - "Make it like this!" That way it gets both groups on the same page - so the artists can see what they're getting in a visual way, and the programmers can see what the artists need in a code sort of way. Then the programmers can implement it in the engine (adjusting for specific engine requirements, etc) and the artists can use ShaderFX in Max to preview what they'll be getting once they export. So it becomes a useful tool in the pipeline even though the "fixed function" ShaderFX code isn't being used directly in the final product.

Fritz -
    So - what I hear you asking here is "If Max already has the DX Display feature, what's the point of having ShaderFX?" I think that's the more blunt question that you wanted to ask.
    wink.gif

Basically ShaderFX is way more flexible than the DX Display check box and gives you an order of magnitude more control over your shader. With Max's standard material, you're stuck with basically making the same shader every time. It's a Blinn lighting model and you can choose what maps you want to apply. With ShaderFX, the sky is the limit. If you want to create a Phong lighting model instead of Blinn, you can do that. If you want to do reflection mapping, refraction, relief mapping, subsurface scattering, animated UV coordinates, texture blending with vertex colors, etc, etc, you can do that. You can even invent your own lighting models - or use no lighting model at all.

So - to sum it up, the DX Display feature is basically one shader with a few options you can choose from, and ShaderFX is a super flexible system that lets you create pretty much anything you can think of.

Take a look at some of the demo videos from ShaderFX version 1.5 to see what I mean:

http://www.bencloward.com/ShaderFX/ShaderFXPerlinNoiseNodeDemo2.wmv
    http://www.bencloward.com/ShaderFX/ShaderFXReliefMappingDemo.wmv
    http://www.bencloward.com/ShaderFX/ShaderFXprojectedTextureDemo.wmv
    http://www.bencloward.com/ShaderFX/ShaderFXUVrotatorNodeDemo.wmv

There are more of them on the site if you want to check it out further.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    Wow that looks really fun to play with... Is there anything like this for Maya ? frown.gif
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    hey man...thanks so much for answering a pretty basic question. i appreciate it...and that's pretty much what i was asking. i'll look into it more for sure.

thanks again!!!