Home Technical Talk

Mudbox

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
Mudbox...How does anyone create anything with this system hog? It appears to be a sucker for mesh density above 1.5 million. simply opening and saving an existing scene with a mere 2 million faces sends my system into a chugging twisting cry for help. Its no wonder that busts seem to be about 75% of all mud box models out there. It would be suicidal to create a full character unless you had the most expensive system on the market.

In Zbrush 2 I can reach nearly 6 - 7 million faces with ease. I have a fairly descent system in today's standards. Yet Mudbox crunches like nobodies business. Anyone else experience or share my agony in using mudbox and are there things I can do to improve performance for mudbox (drastically)?

Replies

• jgarland
    My computer is a piece of shit, so I have trouble sculpting anything with more than around one million faces, but Mudbox has such an unprecedented ease of use that it makes it worth it. If my computer starts to slow down, I just begin to hide parts of the mesh that I'm not focusing on.

It makes no sense to show the head or legs when you're only working on the torso. Hide them, and keep working. If you need to look at the entire mesh to ensure that everything flows well, just show the hidden parts and hit the space bar. This will allow you to look at the mesh, without sculpting it.

There are a lot of tools you can use to help combat slowdown. Check out the Mudbox forums for more.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Have you tried the option to make it write the other subD levels to your hard drive, to free up memory? It makes swapping between levels slower, but by the time you hit the high polycounts you're probably mostly detailing in the one level anyway. Also, hit space from time to time, does some kind of video memory refresh, and seems to improve response time for camera moves.
  • indian_boy
    dude are u sure? i've got:
    512 ram
    1.8 ghz Pentium 4
    GeForce FX 5200

and the thing can churn out over 2 million polies! without using the technique CheeseOnToast suggested! but then again, i was jiding parts that i wasn't working on... the only problem with that was i'd sometime mistakedly up the subD level, and then the model would have a seam between the hidden and unhidden parts... once u get used to it, its an amazing program
  • Entity
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    when i was using the trial I could get models up to 3+ mil. polygons on a 2 year old laptop with 1gb of ram
  • Jaco
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Stupid question: How do you hide parts of your mesh? I can mask, create layers and all sorts of shit, but I can't hide parts of my mesh! crazy.gif
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 18
    Hide selekted, hide unselekted smile.gif
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Also, creating selection sets right at the start is a real time saver - just select polys on your lowest subdiv, then create a set when you have, say, all of the arm selected - you will then be able to select this at any time from the object menu on the right and hide unselected to only work on that area, like katzeimsack said.
  • Jaco
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    doh! God bless you two, I thought hide selected hid only objects, not faces.
  • cyborgguineapig
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks so much for the responses and tips.
  • Mark Dygert
    It also helps to pre-sub-D selected areas of your model, like around the eyes, lips, nose and ears. So your million polys are where you need em not at the back of the head =P

Yes yes you can select specific areas and sub-D those but it does that layer lock thing, until they figure a way around that I'll keep pre-Sub-D'ing on continuous meshes.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah exactly what Vig said. that damn layer lock thing has pissed me off many a times.
  • dom
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    what layer lock thing? if you want to sculpt continuosly over different subd levels on the same mesh, just go to preferences, levels, and turn freeze inactive off. the only downside is what you see in mudbox when it comes to working with lcoal subd levels, isn't an actual representation of the mesh..thats why you see that seam between the diff subd levels and how they tear apart when you sculpt over that seam...

correct me if i'm wrong.
  • Mark Dygert
    Interesting, I didn't know about the "freeze inactive" option. I guess I don't go that deep in the menus on a program that lays it all out front. The mesh breaking seam is a new issue still making it impossible to work with... I hunted around for a way to merge the two levels back into one so I could paint across the seam but I couldn't find it =/ It almost works... but doesn't...
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Vig, partial subdivide is really only for painting detail within the borders of your selection, not across them. If you want to fix the seam you'll need to drop back down to the level where you did the partial subdivide, and then hit shift+D to bring the whole thing up to the same level, which kind of defeats the purpose.

When you export a mesh with partial subDs, it automatically brings the rest of the mesh up to the highest level, to get rid of any seams. So if you're using a command-line normal or displacement mapper that can handle higher polycounts than you can actually display, that's when to use partial SubDs.
  • Mark Dygert
    Ahh makes sense. I'll make better use of it in the future knowing what I have just learned, thanks! It still holds the title of nearly useless feature and I'll just pre-Sub-D before I go into MudBox like I've been doing since it can't really handle that the way I want.

I've started freezing the few polys around the seam after shutting off "freeze inactive" it's not perfect but at least it makes it easier to paint across, and to weld later in max.
  • Shaze
    But what exactly are you doing with tools such as zbrush and mudbox... it make an insane number of polygon and bad mesh, that's practically useless. And if you need animate it, or import it in a video game, that's just gonna be a lots of pain. And even for the high quality movies, it will render way too much slow because of all those useless polygons..

So, whats the explanation?
  • Zcubed
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure someone else will be able to explain this much better than I can, but the meshes created in these sculpting programs are never animated or imported into games. Rather, the detail is baked down into a lower resolution model's UVs in the form of a displacement or normal map (games). This is much less resource intensive than true polygonal detail.
  • Shaze
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure someone else will be able to explain this much better than I can, but the meshes created in these sculpting programs are never animated or imported into games. Rather, the detail is baked down into a lower resolution model's UVs in the form of a displacement or normal map (games). This is much less resource intensive than true polygonal detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you apply a displacement map and you want it to appear the best as possible, you need to but upgrade the number of poly, otherwise, it would just have been faster to make the whole things and modify it in a normal 3d tool such as Maya, 3DS... nah?

And for the normal map, you just modify your character, you don't create it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Shaze I don't think you are really understanding how much faster it is to use a program like mudbox / zbrush to add high detail to models and then export them in normal or displacement maps. This is something that has been a normal thing for a few years now and is starting to become a norm in the industry. Modeling all that detail where it can be done just really isn't the fastest way to do things.

As for the statement "and for the normal map, you just...." I'm not sure what you are saying here but no you don't make a character with the normal map but you do add a ton of detail to the model that can't be rendered by the game engine because of poly restraints.
  • Shaze
    [ QUOTE ]

As for the statement "and for the normal map, you just...." I'm not sure what you are saying here but no you don't make a character with the normal map but you do add a ton of detail to the model that can't be rendered by the game engine because of poly restraints.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I was waiting to see if someone could destroy my arguments and you tell a lots of things that I didn't even said frown.gif

I said, for the normal map, you don't create the character under mudbox or zbrush, you just MODIFY it. So what's the purpose of modeling under Zbrush or Mudbox.

Everyone of you said that was for displacement or normal map which is for refining an already made model, but for CREATING a model, this is just a big waste of time.

Sorry if it wasn't clear
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, zbrush is also a big waste of time for making gun fights!!
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe a quick run through of workflow would help:

Games-

1. Knock out a quick base mesh in max/maya/xsi etc. just to get the main forms in and try to keep the polygons square and fairly uniform size.

2. Take into mudbox/zbrush/silo, sculpt in a huge amount of detail.

3. Build a low poly mesh (that will be in a game)around the high poly,

4. Bake across the detail as a normal map

Film-

1. Model your character in max/maya/xsi so it is animatable.

2. Take model into zbrush/mudbox/silo, sclupt in a huge amount of detail

3 Bake detail into a displacement map

4. Apply displacement map to original, animatable model in max/maya/xsi

5. Render

Though there are variations of these workflows.

It's true that sculpting is just modifying the model, by pushing verts in or pulling them out, moving them a bit etc. But the speed (and ease) you can do this, and the level of detail you can work in quickly, is just not managable in standard 3D apps (max/maya/xsi etc.).

Watch the video of this guy making a colossus, and think how long it would take to do that in a standard 3D app.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=045693
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yea, zbrush is also a big waste of time for making gun fights!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO...Yeah I can see how that would be a waste ...
  • Shaze
    Thanks god!, the devine voice has spoken!

Yeah, now it could make sense. Thanks

But I still thinks that these programs are more editing/refining tools than creations. Because somes of these steps could have been modified/removed so you just have to edit the mesh.

The only reason you could create a mesh from nothing, would be for creates images, thats probably why they said it was more like a painting tool.
  • StJoris
    I must point out they are also awesome for concepting, you can build up form very easily and intuitively, very loose.
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Shaze, those tools can be used for creating also.
    i am doing very rough basemeshes(cubemen) and then creating
    something, i am not MODIFYING it.
    also, in zbrush you can start from zspheres, sculpt over it,
    retopology, applying details from old mesh, paint texture over high rez, then extracting model(for lowpoly), uv it in unfold, import, bake color map and normal map.
    hope that will be useful info.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well this thread has been derailed rather successfully with quite a pointless question, don't you think? congrats...

anyway, in response to the original topic - mudbox is noticeably slower than Z2 and worlds apart from the performance of Z3 indeed. the work-machine doesn't go too well beyond 2 mio and you get dotty strokes as a result.
    i'm too lazy/unorganized to play the hide/unhide game tho, workflow/interface is nicer than Z's but the slowness bothers me more, personally because it comes into play long before i reach the detailing-stage.
    even the interface is quite sluggish itself. at least they managed to fix some nasty bugs with the more recent releases. if they came up with a nice paint engine and at least sped the app up to Z2 levels, i'd consider it as a replacement for Z, for now it's more like an addendum to me.
  • EarthQuake
    mud is fine for up to around 5 million for me, and if you seperate that into a few objects, which most models will generally have its more than enough, unless you absolutely always have to work with every object at full sub-d, which is just retarded. And honestly, you shouldnt need more than about 5 million for a 2048, you can only fit about 4 million pixels into it so whats the point? Do you need 20 million polygons for some lame skin detail noise, that wont even show up in your normal map?

Not to even mention that you wouldnt actually be able to import any of those meshes into a seperate program to render maps from, so you're stuck with zbrush's normal maps, and no ability to render ambocc from them, etc....
  • Entity
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    film work then? I know anything below 10 million isn't enough these day for main characters.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Shaze I have trouble understanding your point. I could talk about the need for sculpting apps for hours but I think that some pics would be more clear.

http://www.kolbyjukes.com/subpages/beelzebub.html

See?

I'm sure you understand it very easily as soon as you try the apps. It's actually a lot of fun which is not bad either!
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    earthquake. 5 million - more power to you. i have yet to see a machine that does that in a useable fashion around here. the general sluggishness of mb turns me off, maybe you are just more patient than i am tho.

in other words - who needs more than 640 kb of RAM? wink.gif