Home General Discussion

Welcome to the post VT Shooting world

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
Student expelled for making CS level with the same layout as his school

Its interesting, where do you guys think the line is between free speech and suspicious behavior is? Keep in mind the level was on his home computer, so it wasn't even at the school. I would say that it should be looked into further, but immediatly expelling any student that does something that can be interpreted as vaugely threatening seems paranoid and overboard. Seems like there should be more evidence inorder to just outright expell the kid. I mean if he's also got an asenal of weapons, kill lists, and a history of threatening people at school then absolutly do something. Also, is expelling this kid supposed to make him better or something? If he really was planning on storming the school and shooting some folks up than thats probably just more fuel for his fire. People do that kind of thing because they feel alienated from soceity to the point where they no longer see the value in their or others lives. Also, does this seem like the tactics from the "War on Terror" to anyone else? Are school admins now going to be allowed to read all student email, even emails sent from home "just in case." Will student creativity be curtailed simply because it contains violent imagery?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Me and my friends made an Unreal Tournament 2k3 level of our dorms and surrounding area in 1st year of university.
    Mainly because it was easy to get measurements and reference whenever necessary... not because we had some mad urge to kill everyone in the block.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    make a President bush model for quake or unreal, and you'll have the secret service at your door.

In fact Im scared just mentioning it.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    Actually josh its already been done:
    http://politicalarena.planetquake.gamespy.com/
    LOLLERZ :P
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I made a Quake1 map with my brother of the Iranian embassy siege in London. It was fun!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    this is going to far, but then School administrations have been characterized by hysteria and knee jerk defensiveness. They cannot control the causes of said violence so they make a symbolic gesture against simulated violence and uses the fear of parents to back it up.

Our favorite Lawyer Jack Thompson is allready declaring that Cho "must have been a HALO player". Just hunker down and let it pass by., and remember to vote against politicians who grandstand like this. it wasn't games, it was mental illness, and there is not preventing, or really containing it (in a free society).

Scott
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah this student just happened to make something at the wrong time and it got found out. After some more arguing he will be back. I was told when I drew up floor plans for my college not to model it for a death match level because it could be constituted as being a threat. I went on to argue with them and call them a bunch of commie pig fuckers and that got me in more hot water but thats a different story.

and man they should really disbar Jack Thompson
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    Didn't Jack made a bigger deal about counter-strike?

This is pretty shitty situation. When I was in engineer college, I made counter-strike 1 mod of my college's building and even put our teacher's face onto the player model so we can kill them... That was a long time ago. We were having lots of fun with that mod.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Are school admins now going to be allowed to read all student email, even emails sent from home "just in case." Will student creativity be curtailed simply because it contains violent imagery?

[/ QUOTE ]

Already happened at my highschool last year. They hired a group of people, and their entire job was to browse the myspaces of students to see what they were up to. If they found evidence of threatening behavior, or even drinking/smoking under age, they were called in. If someone was in question, they would ask to see their private messages, if they didn't comply they would be suspended, and other such penalties (like, not going to Senior Prom). It was rather disheartening.