Home General Discussion

"Must see Pic: Amazing Starcraft 2 Mock Up"

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sonic polycounter lvl 18
http://www.digg.com/gaming_news/Must_see...ter_look_better

A digg article with about a thousand diggs.

Wasn't this a polycounter's entry for the Blizz competition?

Replies

• Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, and the comments make my brain bleed.

Ugh.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    It won best 3d enviro for Starcraft.

http://www.blizzard.com/inblizz/contests/artcontest2006/secondaryprizewinners.shtml

So many fucktards on that site lol confused.gif
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    I don't think Star Craft 2 will look years beyond that mock up...something even beyond Supreme Commander
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yes, and the comments make my brain bleed.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha i like this one most laugh.gif

"Wow, that's old... it's been on youtube for quite some time."

damn someone must have animated my work without asking me for permission xD
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    that is the worst misuse of textures i've ever seen. why did he bother to make normals maps?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simple thing, as this is a RTS Game and i planned it for lower system specs too, i decided to make it work with and without using normalmaps. another point is, that blizzard is no company with much usage of normalmaps, they prefer painted textures, as you could see in some winner entries, there have been better from polycount but the only difference i could see was the visible usage of normalmaps. The Models with handpainted textures, but by far less good execution, won.
    However there is a visible difference between the normalmapped and the simple shaded models, but its not as big as it was in games like Doom3 for instance. I always hated it, to turn the graphic options lower and having to see dead looking Models.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    that is the worst misuse of textures i've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pffft, hardly confused.gif

The man churned out a shitload or work, and his prizes were well deserved. So many haters on that site, its funny how opinionated people can be even when they clearly have no clue what theyre talking about.
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    if you want to make a per pixel lighting and non per pixel lighting versions then why have you mixed the textures of both types together? both types of engine require completely different textures to each other. also by now it should be possible to automatically generate the old generation textures from the new generation textures.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    both types of engine

[/ QUOTE ]
    its the same engine, just one option "turn normalmaps on/off" in this case, normalmaps don't do the job, they just ADD details, having extra texturefiles for one option sucks, you have to reload every texture, instead of just turning the normalmaps off

[ QUOTE ]
    should be possible

[/ QUOTE ]
    should be possible now but wasn't possible for me when i did this picture, i did this with engine specs from these days not engines now and not engines when SC2 will come out.

However, why do i defend myself? I did this how i did this quite a while back and with the aim to win something in this contest, to have one more portfolio piece that helps me get jobs as a freelancer, its working great so far. Thats all.
    I've never been a fan of the normalmap look and do like models with prebaked lighting information and normalmaps as an ADDITION, just my preference, you don't have to like it smile.gif
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    it is frustrating that you went as far as to get normal maps but decided to barely use their potential, and it's frustrating that Blizzard has gone so low-tech.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    You're frustrating.It's a bad ass piece of artwork, enjoy it. He didn't ask you for crits.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    It's frustrating that this thread is not geared towards a crit of the work, but has turned into it. It's a solid piece, and I'm sure it has to be a bit of an ego boost to see your work being discussed elsewhere like this. :]

I love this guy's post:
    [ QUOTE ]
    seems too much like this..
    http://www.mudbox3d.com/gallery/pages/terrain.html

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    I saw this on Digg earlier. It's good to see people outside of game art communities enjoying Neox's work.

Though some of the comments are rather laughable grin.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    You're frustrating.

[/ QUOTE ]

burn. laugh.gif

Anyway, congrats, Neox. smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All those comments made me want to play StarCraft again. Nice piece of work, still holds up after a year, nice work =)
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Played a game of SC last night. Shuttle dropping Zealots into peons is pure fun.

Had this as my background for awhile back when it was released and its still bad ass. In fact I think I'll put back on my background again.

Great work Neox!
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    You're frustrating.It's a bad ass piece of artwork, enjoy it. He didn't ask you for crits.

[/ QUOTE ]

last time i checked i wasn't reading deviantart
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Some of those comments gave me a laugh. Shows how clueless some people really are.
    It was great work then, and it's still great work now. I'd love if Blizzard ever took on that art style for the next StarCraft (if they ever make one).

-caseyjones
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    "You're frustrating." Awesome. Yeah man VIPr is a bit annoying. I mean come on guy it won an award. It looks amazing. It looks better than the shit pile Blizzard calls World of Warcraft. God I hate that game by the way. Whatever SEKNeox that was an awesome piece and I have already said that.

pooh should be tossed at the hater(s)
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It looks better than the shit pile Blizzard calls World of Warcraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Err, what? Of course his stuff looks better - WoW's 3D assets are four years old, nary a normal map in sight. That comparison is faint praise.

[ QUOTE ]
    God I hate that game by the way.
    pooh should be tossed at the hater(s)

[/ QUOTE ]

Early entry for the Ironic Comment of the Month award, hm? smile.gif
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

last time i checked i wasn't reading deviantart

[/ QUOTE ]

and this is general discussion, not pimping and previews.