Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Necro

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
praetus interpolator
<font color="red"> Update and done. </font>

Necro006.jpg

Necro from Xrucifix on the request forms. the concept is here. Now, I didn't draw it up, I've just been going off it. I've been messing with some normal mapping stuff.

Necro002.jpg

Necro001.jpg

NecroWires.jpg

Replies

• Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dennispls polycounter lvl 16
    You might want to reduce the amount of polies on his hands
    Theyre quite high in comparison to the rest of the character.
    Also in the last shot it says 4500 somewhat triangles
    but looking at the wire i cant help but wondering where they went:/
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    cheburashka on background heh.
    I like the model, you could cut out polys from nose
    and fingers and add them to clothing.
    and btw, looks like you need to invert green channel of your normal map.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    looks like you need to invert green channel of your normal map.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
    Certainly looks inverted.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    that is quite the... interesting... watermark you're using.

For that polycount, things should look a lot smoother. Your polys need some redistributing. The shape of the eyes, for instance, is very angular and low, but you've got that particular shape beveled a lot. Worry more about shape and silhouette and let the normal worry about shading.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Redistributed some polys in the hands and face. I'll get some screens of that up later, but for now I have some texture business.

Necro003.jpg

Necro004.jpg

Now, my big concern and problem right now is making the cloak interesting since it's...a black cloak. I plan on using alpha maps to make it torn around the bottom and sleeve ends but other that that?

Anyone have any ideas on that they'd like to share?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Little bit of texture work to go. then done!

Necro006.jpg

Necro005.jpg

Necro007.jpg
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Cool. Did you actually check the green channel like a couple of folks suggested? The normals just dont look quite right.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    done? you must be kidding, i see just brown clothing
    and pink hands. what are you talking about? :::D
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Daz - yeah, I had the green channels inverted a while back to fix that one. I'll recheck it out, but I'm curious as to how one knows when it has to be changed?

Conte- I think my biggest question is how to make the cloak more interesting. Since I'm doing this request and the concept isn't mine, I didn't necessarily want to go about adding designs. So, how could I interesting?For some reason when I read that it comes out almost sarcastic, but I am genuinely curious because I don't know what to do.

And yeah, the hands need some work. I think the spec is blowing out some of the details as well because looking back at it there's alot more in the color of the hands than can actually be seen. Either that or does XNormal blur any channel?
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Praetus, you could use some fabrics textures there, dirt, dry dirt, blood and more nasty things etc=)
    Also, check parameter of glosiness- too thin.
    you could tweak specular, add some noise there, pull down
    that shininess on the cloak.
    and please, green channel of normal map=) check it
    p.s: sorry if my last comment was offended you. keep up!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good but far from done.

Crits:
    1) Whats up with the spec? Is he wearing a shinny rain coat? Is it cloth? Is the cloth wet and that is why it's shinny? The point I'm getting at is your spec is way off, cloth, especially old worn cloth won't have much of a spec at all.

2) Check your opacity maps, it looks like you have quite a few misc floating pixels that are not connected to the main pieces.

3) It looks like you did a lot of shadow painting on the face, but you are letting the normal map do all the work on the cloth? I would also add some kind of color varriance in the cloth as well.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I will agree looking back on it spec needs work. Ha, I get so excited about thinking I'm donw I posted it and then I take a step back a day later and see exactly what people are talking about.

Conte- I'm not following with the green normal channel because I don't know what it's supposed to look like normally. Perhaps a screenshot of the channel would help with pointing it out.

Normal Map

Normal Map Green Channel

Vig- I'll have to recheck spec. When I render in Maya Spec doesn't seem so shiny like a raincoat, but in X-Normal ir looks really glossy. I need to see if I can tone that down a bit somehow. Also, the floating bits of cloth are from XNormal not rendering 2 sided objects. The actual trans map is fine.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm not following with the green normal channel because I don't know what it's supposed to look like normally. Perhaps a screenshot of the channel would help with pointing it out

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just use swizzle "X+Y-Z+" in the xNormal 3d viewer slot, that will invert your green channel automatically, Then grab a screenshot and post it to see if that solved it!

[ QUOTE ]

Vig- I'll have to recheck spec. When I render in Maya Spec doesn't seem so shiny like a raincoat, but in X-Normal ir looks really glossy.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just a note... remember xNormal uses RGB channels to control the specular color modulation and ALPHA for the variable specular power(the shiny factor). To low the shiny fill the alpha channel with, for example, a value of 8 or 16 ( the default is 32 or 64, can't remember ).

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, the floating bits of cloth are from XNormal not rendering 2 sided objects. The actual trans map is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Select your mesh and uncheck the "backface cull" option in the xNormal 3d viewer options, so the mesh will be rendered as two-sided.

About the transparency, if you use the 1bit mode need to tweak the alpha ref value. For other alpha modes you will need to split the mesh and assign the models in correct order ( real transparency is hard and slow frown.gif, unless you can enable FSAA and use the GF7 transparency supersampling / ATI adaptive antialiasing )

Btw, in case you want to get realtime shadows with your SM2.0 card inside the 3d viewer you need to change to OpenGL.

Hope it helps.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Switched the green channel, comparing the two side by side I see what you're talking about. Although, some of it may need to be switched by individual layers. Also, I got it to be two sided

Thanks Jogshy

NecroTestInverted.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    just a quick thing I noticed:
    the silhouette of the skull on the belt is too polygonal thus ruining the illusion of being a high detail mesh that using a normal map is supposed to create. A few extra edges will correct this.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Very good point. I'll have to fix that when I get home later on tonight.

Here's a Maya render so transparency isn't working, but I started with some dirt and I think it looks a bit better here than in XNormal.

NecroMaya.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Maaaaan, just select your green channel in "Channels"
    and push "Ctrl+i" already+)))
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I did, I swear. It has actually changed too. I noticed changes in the belt as well as the skull immediately.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    alright, so since here is the side by side. Which one of the has the correct normal values? A or B? There is also the possibility that some of these have parts reversed, so I think I need to look at ZBrush perhaps.

NecroA.jpg
    NecroB.jpg