Home General Discussion

Looking for an old book, help needed!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
This is going to be a real stretch, but it's worth a shot.

I'm looking for a book I read countless times as a kid. It was likely published in the late 80s. It was basically a collection of stories and descriptions of various dragons and monsters. The book had full color illustrations on each page that were cartoons, not realistic paintings. I don't remember the name of the book, but I do remember it was big, not a little novel size. It was also white on the outside and I *think* was called something like Dragons, wyrms, something and something" or something like that, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, the one thing I remember vividly about the book was that it had a story toward the end about a a valiant young knight that prays all night before going out to slay a large pink devouring worm (not wyrm). It was all great fun and for years I've been trying to find it. Does anyone have even a clue for what it was called or where I could look with such cryptic info?

Thanks.

Replies

• sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    I have a book called The Flight of Dragons by Peter Dickinson dated 1979. It seems to fit your description. I don't remember the stories. It's been a long time since I read it.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    I know the one you mean - I've got it at home and have scanned through it not too long ago for the great drawings. I'll try and dig it out if I can find it. There's similar books in the series about witches, giants, trolls etc.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I know the one you mean - I've got it at home and have scanned through it not too long ago for the great drawings. I'll try and dig it out if I can find it. There's similar books in the series about witches, giants, trolls etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fantastic. Eagerly awaiting your find.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Ahah - sorry - I had totally forgotten about this post... hadn't had a chance to go back to my parent's house and rifle through my old books but after a bit of Amazon searching, i think I've found it.

This is the book I was thinking about - fits your description pretty well and the illustrations are great.

Dragons, Giants and Witches by Christopher Rawson

0860203425.01-A3595O50HRLRVD._SCLZZZZZZZ_V45165226_AA240_.jpg
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That certainly looks familiar, it very well could be the book. I can't seem to find any site that has pics of the inside pages though and all the used copies I can find are about 40 bucks.

Thanks very much though, this was a big help. Might just order a copy and hope for the best.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, I recognise those illustrations... can't remember what book from though. Might have been a similar series, it was published by Usborne and the illustrations must have been by the same guy because the way he does dragons is identical.
    I'm pretty sure it was a collection of stories encompassing Paul Bunyan, the Lambton Worm and possibly St. George and the dragon.

Edit: Illustrations were by Stephen Cartwright.

Edit 2: Yeah, awesome - I did an Amazon search, some of these bring back a lot of childhood memories ... I had a few of these books, I think this was one of them:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stories-Giants-U...319&sr=1-44

Still love the way he drew characters, very fun and nice style. You can actually get the book FAT_CAP mentioned on Amazon UK for under £10 second-hand. My parents might still have a few at home, although I suspect they'll all have been given away to younger relatives by this point smile.gif
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    oh man! I used to love those books when i was a kid!

Totally recognize the guy's style. He had one book about medieval life with xray views of castles and cool stuff like that. I might have to look him up too.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    we didn't have booksd when i was a child. We had to write on stone tablets!!
  • Wildfyre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hiya smile.gif

We read this book so much as kids the cover fell off!! It eventually disappeared sadly, but i'm now also searching for a copy. I remember it being a white book also - similiar to the dragons, giants witches, but with stories from dragons, giants, witches as well as goblins, wizards and more. I actually think it was a compendium of the lot, but can't seem to find it anywhere either. No idea of its title. Best i can figure is that is was also published in a few volumes. It seems the format on the inside is the same tho, so i'm starting to wonder if my memory has just got a little hazy!!
    It was such a kewl book, i'm hoping to find it so my kids can now enjoy it smile.gif

Oo and the Young Readers series - same illustrations, but very different format - not the comic book style from the originals.
  • damianwampler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if you're still looking, but the book is:

Stories of Dragons (Young Reading (Series 1)) (Young Reading (Series 1))
    by Christopher Rawson et al.
    Link: http://amzn.com/0746080743

I loved this book as a child and spent about 2 years looking for it.

51EKka4O4pL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    Best - Damian