Home General Discussion

UFC/Pride

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
Anyone watch UFC or Pride?
I watched UFC last night and I couldnt believe Crocop was knocked out by Gonzaga.. such a disapointment I was hoping Crocop would get to fight Randy. Andrei Arlovski was disappointing too but at least he won smile.gif
The brits and the frenchman kicked ass which was cool to see but it didtnt make up for that knockout.

Incase you didnt see the fight heres a clip of the knockout.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCe_HD4WKJw

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I Dint see that one...but watched the Catour/ Silva fight....I think Randy suprised everyone with that win. Just goes to show you that superior training can put down size and strenth...and youth for that matter
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    unbelievable... crocop knocked out like that ? Now UFC is going to milk it for all they can. Hopefully Mirko will come back and defend Pride, no pun intended.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Crocop got torn apart, it was wild. He got pounded on the ground then knocked the hell out on his feet. What a fight. His title match with Randy will be a good one for sure.

Bisbing was great also, he needs a title shot.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The crocop upset was a huge surprise. This made for an exciting finish to the free-pre-view. Gonzaga could have a bright future ahead of him.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Crack......

hanging for the Chuck Liddell vs Quinton Jackson match.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    My opinion is that UFC is the only real fighting there is
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    hrm i feel that pride is quite in another level in terms of quality of fighters and intensity.. I think that's due to the number of foreign competitors, especially those from eastern europe.. They are tough lads with remarkable experience in hand to hand combat on and off the ground.. Look at Fedor Emelianenko.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    I KNOW!! such a fucking shame about crocop. mann!!!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    crocop sucks! Fedor Emelianenko rule that world.
    forget about mirko.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    crocop sucks! Fedor Emelianenko rule that world.
    forget about mirko.

[/ QUOTE ]

your russian your biased :P

Crocop has style, he's a great striker. Fedor is a power house but submissions just arent as fun to watch wink.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I enjoy Pride tooooons more than UFC, although I enjoy them both. The quality of fighters on Pride seems to be triple of that which UFC has.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    i see your triple .. and i raise you .. quadruple !
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I enjoy Pride tooooons more than UFC, although I enjoy them both. The quality of fighters on Pride seems to be triple of that which UFC has.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I do agree, thats why its good to see Pride fighters appearing in Ufc.. shame Pride was bought up by UFC. I'm guessing it wont be too long before they start calling it UFC Pride Tournaments.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Do you guys watch this pay-per-view or is it on regular TV? I dont think we get it on either over here frown.gif
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spike TV for UFC, or ordering it on PPV.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah that kick to the head was a huge shocker, he fell hard, it looked like he messed up his ankle too. surprising he was able to stand and talk normally only a few minutes later. Great entertainment!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    The show seems like something I would watch, really.
    I mean, two people beating the living crap out of each other, and it's not fake? hells yeah.
    My only problem is I don't watch t.v all that much in general.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't seen the Crocop Gonzaga fight yet, but wasn't it a high kick that actually spelled doom for Crocop? It's ironic if that's true, as Crocop is notorious for putting out his opponents using exactly the same technique.

Lots of upsets in mma recently. Personally, I thought St. Pierre's loss to Serra was far more surprising.

With Zuffa buying Pride, things should get much more interesting. A lot of mid-tier Pride fighters could take the belts in the UFC. (See Anderson Silva vs. Rich Franklin). But fighting in a cage can throw off some fighters games as opposed to the ring. The cage just encourages so much more slop in takedowns. Still, there are some matchups that I would love to see...

Vanderlei Silva vs. Liddell (Or Couture). Hell yeah!
    Fedor vs. Arlovski and Sylvia. Fighting both at the same time! (Edge to Fedor)
    Gomi vs. Any of the decent UFC lightweights.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    hey, movie are unavailable now! frown.gif
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I love UFC, but haven't been able to watch it in a long time. I saw the clip of that Crocop knockout. Crazy.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i havent watched much pride but i keep hearing the hype that all the fighters in it are so much better than UFC fighters, then when crocop and jackson signed on ufc all my pride watching friends were hyping them up to pretty much instantly run in and take the titles, then they had their debut at a ppv and both had very mediocre fights then crocops next fight he gets footmurdered by gonzaga, if jackson can't beat liddel then i think i'll write off all the pride hype as just hype untill more show up. I'm not saying they are not awesome fighters in pride. i'm sure they are plenty. just i keep hearing how pride fighters own ufc and just have not seen any proof of it yet
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Rhinokey, fanboys will be fanboys, I keep hearing the opposite though. It seems that UFC promoters and fighters alike like to pick on Pride competitors. I guess it's a tendency for a popular franchise to be cocky.. Nevertheless it would seem that crocop didnt take the fight seriously and underestimated his opponent, Mirko is a great striker and got a taste of his own medicine. It would appear that he didnt seriously train for a hexagon match either, still training in the ring.

I dont want to undermine Gonzaga at all, but there will always be loyal fans who will defend their passion to their balls. Just take it for what it is, a Pride fighter thought he could get a lucrative contract for the least amount of work and got proved wrong.

It's not that UFC fighter suck, it's just that the level of competition and competitors in Pride is higher.

I like both
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    The top-tier UFC guys would be very competitive in Pride. The mid-tier Pride guys would be very competitive in UFC. It's not so much that Pride guys are so much better, it's just that there is more competition and depth in almost every weight category.

The reason for this is pretty simple. Pride pays a hell of a lot more to its fighters. A low-level UFC guy will only be paid $2000-$5000 for a fight, whereas in Pride, a lower tier fighter would make something more like $8000-$12000. Consequently Pride tends to get the better international fighters. This means that the low to mid-tier guys in Pride tend to be better than the low to mid-tier UFC fighters.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The rules are slightly different, or were in Pride before the buyout. Aggression is encouraged and the fighters actually loose pay for standing off from each other. Also the square ring encourages less dancing (Werdum) and assists fighters 'cornering' less aggressive opponents.
    The take downs are also more carefully executed, no one wants to fall out of a ring in pride! so the grapplers tend to think more before they act, like Fedor.
    I am sure a few good UFC fighters would do well in Pride, its just been that most who have tried walk away in bad shape. smile.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone watch Chuck get knocked the fuck out? laugh.gif
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, the man who couldn't be beaten got taken down. All new champs this year, ushering in a new era.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I feel that Dana White has been building chuck up for a while.. he hasnt had a fight with a good striker since rampage beat him down in Pride, fixing him up against grapplers.
    Dan henderson should take out Rampage wink.gif Failing that they can always bring over the Axe Murderer laugh.gif
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Tim, can you upload that movie to youtube please?
    i've told my brother about crocop's shameless knockdown, but when i've wanted to show movie, just didn't found.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seems most of the vids have been deleted but heres one man! wink.gifhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBPqEbabuNY
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    man, i've talked about GonzagaVSCrocop ufc fight
    but thanks anyway
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    He never should have appeared on Entourage........gone soft...haha.....
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    chuck's one of my fav's, but its time to get more pride guys in and really make it harder to hold onto a belt for so long.

I can't remember which ufc it was, but I first saw gonzaga fight a guy named " the shaman". It was possibly the worst fight I've ever seen in any mma event. 3 rounds of nothing except the fans booing, "gooo hoome!!" He waits till the last 10 seconds of the final round and superman punches to win.

If I was mirko I wouldn't have trained hard either after seeing crap fight like that.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    so you woulda had your head kicked off also?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Youtube will take them down within the hour. Zuffa (UFC owner's group) is very defensive of their property.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    ya, they show past fights on their website for a fee. Zuffa must be hurtin for money. :P
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18