Home General Discussion

Project offset

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Fuse polycounter lvl 18
Clever marketing idea, their site requires a certain amount of unique hits in order to reveal some kind of a press release i suppose .. They log all IP's and the progress bar dynamically fills up..

More on ign http://pc.ign.com/articles/782/782412p1.html?RSSwhen2007-04-20_141500&RSSid=782412

Start clicking away lads smile.gif

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Eeeenteresting
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Well their texture resolutions are certainly more realistic now. I'm kind of surprised the whole bar is not full already.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Neat idea. I wonder how many licks it will take to get to the center though.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    *sigh* ...highlight the whole page or look at the source code, and you see this:

01101011 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01101111 01101001 01101110 01100111

Which translated using a binary translator means "Keep Going"
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    On the shot on that page the ground looks suprisingly flat, like it uses oldschool bumpmap or something...
    Weird and i tought thay had parallax and all that shit.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, actually if you look at the highres image on the IGN article, the only thing that is vaguely impressive is the lighting - all the textures seem fairly flat and blurry, although they're fairly consistent and the model is quite interesting. Nothing that blows me away though. Crysis is looking considerably better, if that shot is anything to go by.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Woah shit, i forgot about this game
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    seems like they have landed in reality. wink.gif i'm sure crysis will follow sooner or later.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    It looks like... Half-Life 2 with nicer shadows.

Which is no bad thing by any means, but not terribly exciting.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    seems like they have landed in reality. wink.gif i'm sure crysis will follow sooner or later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Truth, yeah smile.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say it looks pretty damn good for a small studio like they are. Textures may look rather low res, but that image is also really high resolution.

We'll be able to just better once they throw some more images our way.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Getting close now. All should be revealed by tea time methinks.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, actually if you look at the highres image on the IGN article, the only thing that is vaguely impressive is the lighting - all the textures seem fairly flat and blurry, although they're fairly consistent and the model is quite interesting. Nothing that blows me away though. Crysis is looking considerably better, if that shot is anything to go by.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the trailer on gametrailers.com with the dragon. This game lost me there with horrible character models .
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

engine is the word!
    main is work of artists, and not teh power lol
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Look at the trailer on gametrailers.com with the dragon. This game lost me there with horrible character models .

[/ QUOTE ]

They've made a distinct style choice that might not suit everyones tastes, but I think horrible is a little harsh perhaps.

Oh yeah, and what thomasp said about reality setting in.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had long since forgotten about this, but now I'm pretty excited about it. It looks a bit hit-or-miss at the moment, but I've got high hopes.

The art direction reminds me a bit of Fable or The Hobbit. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the overly exaggerated proportions aren't my cup of tea. I think we'll have to wait and see how it turns out. It's really too early to tell what the final product will be like.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Well the meter has reached the end and returned to the begining, leaving a new character picture in its wake. Some kind of neat crocodile mount thingy.

It may not be gears of war or crysis, but it looks quite nice nonetheless.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, the characters look nice, environment is a bit sub par
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    buh, while the environment doesn't blow me away like I was hoping, theres no way I would describe it as sub par. maybe the hype is leading us to be critical, because nothing I've seen of this game looks remotely poor
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    It looks like... Half-Life 2 with nicer shadows.

Which is no bad thing by any means, but not terribly exciting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. I want to see any computer or console run at more than a snail's pace with a full screen of Parallax Occlusion... that alone brings my comp to 30 fps or so... add in all their other goodies and you won't have anything you can run on even DX10 for the next couple years until hardware catches up. IMO that is a good thing, just not fair to compare with Offset.

And yes I would have hoped for something impressive than a flat and barely bumpmapped plane with considerable mipping and blurriness clearly visible as a 'teaser shot' too.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    New picture is up:
    teaser_k7pHUthA.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    That's pretty nice, but the HDRI and DOF can't hide the SHITTY flat floor.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    that fucking floor murdered my cat. And I think it just called your mother fat. And sat on my hat
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I simply do not understand the shitty floor vibe. It's made of polygons. They kinda have a tendency toward feeling flat. Normal maps are more apparent in motion than still. Parrallax maps are far from standard. Seriously, get over it.
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    Everything looks nice to me. Lke that croc thing, it's quite cool if you get to ride it, and judging by that saddle I'd say you do. Only thing I dislike is this stupid hits bullshit -- extremely tedious.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Creature looks pretty cool, yeah. Also nice to see they're presenting stuff that looks like it could be in a final product, rather than showing off stuff on ridiculously high-spec hardware that is likely to be cut or heavily reduced for an actual build.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    All that waiting for just one screenshot? That made me sad.

On the other hand, this game seems to have something Crysis does not-- art direction. Looking cool!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    yeah... brilliant marketing scheme, but they need to adjust the amount of unique IPs that need to hit the page cuz... this is ridiculous... its like thousands of people have to hit the page just to unlock 1 somewhat crappy screenshot... i wouldn't be surprized if people just lose interest and the rest of their stuff never gets unlocked at all lol
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I really like all the offset stuff I've seen, but I agree with rawkstar, it requires way too many ips just for a screenshot. We've had videos before, so requiring this for screenshots seems a bit off.

Hopefully after this screenshot there will be something more interesting.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    it'll be another screenshot for the next one too, and probably the next one after that. Then its videos.
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    This much waiting for two screenshots has probably killed it now. It's not bad looking, but asking that much for just this so far, and expecting more, is unreasonable. I think they've already killed the interest in getting traffic to the site now.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    maybe they think they have more fans than they actually do? Interesting idea though.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I was expecting a full site with previews...not one more image. Requiring more unique IP addresses is just going to kill it, if it already hasn't.

NVM! They've released more binary text...going to go translate it...

NVM again. I could care less about a scrambled message from the Project Offset message board moderators.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    maybe they think they have more fans than they actually do? Interesting idea though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the idea is actually to attract more fans... or at least, expose more people to the game. The purpose of the hit counter thing is so you'll send a link to everyone you know (or post it on various forums you browse) to get the counter up, and therefore expose more people to the game (people who may have otherwise been unaware of the game) who will also spread the link. At least, that's the idea. It's a viral marketing type thing, but not quite as annoying as most viral marketing techniques.

Though, seeing as the progress bar has pretty much stopped dead in its tracks after the second screenshot, the idea may not have worked as well as they hoped laugh.gif.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    You hit the nail on the head there V, way too many IPs required and I've already lost interest. The screens look nice, but meh!

-caseyjones
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    man. this is taking forever. nice creature, not so nice waiting times.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the meters apparently crawled to a halt. If I was the Project Offset team in charge of this, I'd drop the amount of hits required to move it, and drop the whole unique IP requirement down to just having each individual IP hit count once per every few hours or something.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Fuck, this site is lame. I waited like a week and thought all would be revealed. One more picture, who cares just show me the whole thing already. Maybe when you buy their game they will only have 10min of gameplay until more users subscribe to the MMORPG and then another 10min of gameplay will be unlocked. Ass. And that creature does look pretty cool, way better than the environment.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    The bianary in the source has changed to (translated):

AnmroyYd.p.YdabtoUrpD.nlcbi! - Esp. Warsaw and SkateHead

its typed dvorak style on a non dvorak keyboard

so it reads:

AlmostThereThanksForHelping! - Esp. Warsaw and SkateHead
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Finally, a use for my botnet.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    cool looking game, asshole way of presenting it
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    nice crocodyle, i like.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    nifty idea.... pretty shots

but...

/bored

edit:

whoa they have some beautiful concept art
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ok, so their art director is khang le ... my hopes for this project just shot right up!