Home General Discussion

WTF

Hooyaah
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Hooyaah polycounter lvl 17
Will Polycount ever be back? What do you think?

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    HOOOOOOOOOYAAH!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I did the poll, but decided to make up my own question.

"Will you people ever stop asking this question?"

You do know that this will be closed soon, right?
  • Hooyaah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish I knew the answer. I don't come here much anymore since all the great features left. I don't go to the movie theatre to hear the chatter of the audience before the reel starts. I come for the real entertainment. If the movie doesn't start soon, I am leaving the theatre.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The greatest of all features: The forums smile.gif

Polycount never left!
  • Hooyaah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The forums are a near infinite source of information, no doubt. I miss the new models and the downloads. I do not mean to sound negative about Polycount. I just hate the loss of features that were invaluable to me and others to whom I have spoken.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The greatest of all features: The forums smile.gif

Polycount never left!

[/ QUOTE ]

wurd!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I wish I knew the answer. I don't come here much anymore since all the great features left. I don't go to the movie theatre to hear the chatter of the audience before the reel starts. I come for the real entertainment. If the movie doesn't start soon, I am leaving the theatre.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one cares if you leave. You can take your tiara and go right now, no need to wait around.
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    What verm said. Also: fuck off, we have what we come here for -- you are a minority, your opinion doesn't count.
  • Hooyaah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol. You guys are so sensitive. I said nothing against the forums and the usefulness that lies therein. My opinion must count to evoke such a knee-jerk (jerk emphasized) reaction. Peace Out. You can all talk amoungst yourselves cuz' I never see what you have to say again. Remember vitreol is the tool of the less articulate and perspicatious mind.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Noel, easy =)
    i didn't really understood the question, Hooyah
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I think the search link needs to be increased in size. what's everyone's obsession with these q3 models anyhow?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    And before you say "fileplanet.com", they don't even have half of the collection polycount had.

Plus they have insane wait times

Stock player characters get boring after a while you know poly131.gif
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    lol. You guys are so sensitive. I said nothing against the forums and the usefulness that lies therein. My opinion must count to evoke such a knee-jerk (jerk emphasized) reaction. Peace Out. You can all talk amoungst yourselves cuz' I never see what you have to say again. Remember vitreol is the tool of the less articulate and perspicatious mind.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You spelled perspicacious wrong blush.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    And vitriol.

spelling mistakes are the tool of the more articulate.
  • steveo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitreol is spelled right. I think the dude just wanted to know where to go for model downloads. There is always fileplanet, but there are no pretty pictures, helpful descriptions and reviews like he was probably looking for.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    not according to American dictionaries.

And we all know those are the ones that matter. laugh.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Guys, give it a break. The original post had a valid question, although it was not phrased as well as it could have been.

I think a lot of people here don't realise how many people used the frontpage but not the forums, and now only the forums remain, there are a hell of a lot of people who won't understand what happened, all they know is that the place they used to go for pictures, info and downloads has disappeared without trace.

This is nobody's fault, just something that couldn't be avoided due to the huge bandwidth and storage needs which the frontpage and model database took up. Forums are only a few megabytes on disk, and only text - easy to maintain. A multiple-thousand-model database is a behemoth, and needs somewhere to live.

Maybe if we had a big Paypal Donate button on the frontpage to get a fund to buy a dedicated place to host stuff, we could start rebuilding that stuff.

If anyone has the time and money to set up the model database like it used to be, host it for free, and keep the site maintained and streamlined, please, speak up now!

If anyone fancies the task of overhauling the old frontpage into a new XHTML/CSS whatever streamlined site, get going now, and let us know when you're done.

I have a version of the site on my PC here that I'm chipping away at slowly, but work and real life take precedence, so it's very slow progress.

Believe me, I want the frontpage back up just as much as anyone who posts a thread about it on here, but it's not something that can happen by magic, or without a ton of effort, and everyone who's in a place to do that at the moment is just too busy.

Seriously though, if anyone does want to re-do the old frontpage into up-to-date coding standards, let us know, that would be awesome.

Cheers,
    -MoP
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    and may I suggest for the umpteenth time a small informative sticky FAQ that explains the situation, I'm sure that would help aleviate the confusion and reduce the wtf threads
  • steveo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, I think I meant Filefront. Yes, there are more mods and maps than I could ever use. No frills, like I said.
This discussion has been closed.