Home General Discussion

digital cameras

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
I'm in the market for a digital camera. This is going to be my first, surprising i know wink.gif. Some say Canon is better, others like sony. What camera do you have and why do you like it?

Replies

• Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Just go down to the local compusa or best buy and try out a few see what gets you the best results in store. It doesn't matter if the camera can take cool pictures if you cant with it.

Its the sure fire way to make sure you get what you want.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, I don't really know much about cameras, but from my friend's experience, I can tell you this. There is more to a camera's specs then megapixels. My friend bought a cheap ass camera that is about 5 megapixels, but the pictures are still shit. So... go find out what else makes a camera shoot badass pics. I'd also suggest you go find some reviews of cameras online.

Personally, I've got an Olympus Stylus 300 Digital. I like it.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    You want sufficient megapixels, a good lens, and some manual controls. Anything over 6 megapixels should be sufficient.

Now, how much do you want to spend, and what will you be using it for. If it's just for snapshots, there are lots of good options. If you want to shoot sports stuff, a good zoom and manual control over shutter speeds is important. If its for textures, good control over aperture/light levels is key.

There are lots of good cameras out there from various manufacturers. I'm a little bit partial to Canon and Nikon cameras.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I just picked up a Sony W200. Don't remember who it was here that I talked to, but they had one, too.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    You really gotta specify, are you looking to get artsy with your photos, be a hobbyist photographer? Obviously you'll be spending more. Also, how much do you care to spend at the max? I got a Canon EasyPix 5.1 megapixel camera a few years back, retailed for about $250, has treated me great, although I use it casually.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I just picked up a Sony CyberShot DSC-H2. Wonderful camera for the price (about $300). It's got 12x optical zoom, super image stabilization, and manual shutter/aperture/exposure settings. Great all around, and I don't regret the purchase one bit.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    image stabilization and how the colors turn out are the major things to be looking for in reviews. 10 mega pixels is worthless with shitty image stabilization. Its all about how good of a picture you can get with the least amount of work. Yet also allowing you to fine tune the settings to what you like.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.dpreview.com/

i'd go there, great reviews and samples
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canon PowerShot SD1000 looks like a good choice.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To elaborate... tongue.gif
    If you just want a little pocket thingy, i can't really help you.

Other than, if you plan on using it a bit for source images or just want better quality than the meh-average, then good lens are just as important or more than the megacalifragilisticpixels.

i've always been a fan of the Sony DSC series, they're basically in the normal pricerange as your small cameras but usually have great lens... which means that they're bigger too, close to SLR cameras.

If you want to go SLR (exchangeable high quality lens, more expensive, more features, more robust, more pro, better for anything, heavier etc) then, you could go all out for a Cannon 5D which is plain overkill if you're not making a living out of your photography, or save half of that money and get a Nikon D200.
    Half the price, comparable features, awesome camera... we have one at work, and i bought one for myself too.

The only thing with SLRs is that you have to know which lenses to buy, you'll usually only get the body without lenses, and then depending on what you want and need, there's 5000 different lenses. Although as with everything, there's some great and cheap allrounders.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    things i want to do with a camera:

take pictures, capture textures, video capture (optional)
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    truthfully though, lee simply needs a camera to post his spread to suicidegirls. one day his life long dream of becoming a straight-edged pinup girl will be realized. :]

I've always been a huge fan of the Fuji Finepix series. Amazing quality, sturdy camera, sexy design, and an affordable price. I haven't done any recent research on them, but my old Finepix was the best camera I had ever owned...until my old roommate stole it...awesome guy.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    things i want to do with a camera:

take pictures, capture textures, video capture (optional)

[/ QUOTE ]Something you *don't* want... a 'box' (compact) camera with and in/out zoom lens, they eat batteries like a crack whore on a suger high.

Get the largest storage media card you can.

Make sure the camera can be powered from the USB port when downloading images otherwise camera needs to power itself and thus use batteries again.

Depending on what you *are* doing (as a couple of the chaps pointed out) look to see if you can get a cam with RAW image support; that's uncompressed none shitty jpg but they eat storage space like the aforementioned lady of the night.

Get a package deal if you can that include rechargable batteries, you'll want to get the ones that you can charge as and when as opposed to the ones that need to be fully discharged before they can be recharged.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    For a pocket camera you just cannot beat the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasoniclx2/

10.2 mp, image stabilization, 16:10 ratio, huge lcd, full manual controls, raw, bracketed exposure shots for doing HDR, and it's 7.2 oz, fits in your pocket. I'm never without mine. I got mine for 400 USD in black.

All the recent images on my website were taken with the LX2
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/pics/france_07_01/index.html

p1040562.jpg

poop.gif
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose we all have different experiences and standards of what's good.

If you want to use it for textures then i'd stay away from plain pocket cameras, you don't need an SLR but you do want good beefy lens.
    I've had several cameras from different brands over the years and i've used other peoples pocket cameras and they're all still worse then my old Sony DSC 707 that's 4-5 years old.
    Resolution is not as high, but the crispness and detail clarity you get from the lens still beats the higher resolution of newer pocket cams.
    I haven't looked into the newr models, but they still sport the better lens and mine records video too so i assume the newer ones do too.

If you want to make the jump and go SLR then the Nikon D200 is awesome.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7581606@N08/sets/72157600046434545/ that was all shot with the Nikon. YOu can go into all sizes and see the original fullres imiages there too.

I'd read up on the dpreview site, the last page of the reviews 'conclussion' sums the review up. See if the pros/cons bother you and make sure your pick is 'highly recommended' there at the bottom and you're good imo.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $1500 for a camera! Nice pictures but good god, i wold never spend over $500 on a camera you don't use all the time. A good price range to stay in is $300-$500 for what you would use it for and how often you would use it.
    Use that site listed a few posts above as a filter, buying guide, features search. Then put in your prices and features you want.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    I just got the D200 as well... It's a piece of work, though sometimes slightly heavy, especially when waiting for the perfect shot, when you forgot your tripod =[
  • Kytos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kytos polycounter lvl 18
    Lee, my suggestion is to not buy a camera that uses regular rechargeable batteries. They just don't last very long on average. Also I'd look at what kind of memory storage card the camera uses.

Canons are good but have a tendency towards a lot of options you may/may not want. Olympus tends to be a solid brand, but i don't know how many of them do video.

I currently have a Pentax, and I really like the brand. It is a nice 6 megapixel point and shoot. Takes nice video/sound. And as a bonus is dust/water resistant and rather durable in general. OptioWPI
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero, i do use it all the time, the d200 or the old Sony (lighter) are always with me.

I wouldn't recommend a SLR for a first camera for him either, but they are there as an option. He did ask about our cameras.

...It is heavy, try having it a around your neck for a whole day, either your neck or shoulder are gonna be really sore at the end of the day tongue.gif
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thegodzero, i do use it all the time, the d200 or the old Sony (lighter) are always with me.

I wouldn't recommend a SLR for a first camera for him either, but they are there as an option. He did ask about our cameras.

...It is heavy, try having it a around your neck for a whole day, either your neck or shoulder are gonna be really sore at the end of the day tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Try sticking your head/one shoulder thru the strap, like you'd do with a couriers bag. / instead of | works for me and you can push the camera tight against the strap (take the slack out of it) to get a semiregid tripod type thing.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    I got this camera for my trip to Israel, and I fuggin love it. 7.1 megapixels, 3x zoom, a bigass screen, nicely sized for a pocket, sleak design, and chicks are always grabbing for it saying "let me see your camera!"
    It also accepts SDHC Cards (High Capacity), I got a 4gig SD card for around $30 bux off newegg cool.gif which means about 4,000 of the highest quality shots
    the best part - I got it for $230 at Best Buy (worst buy) but Circuit City has it for $200
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Casio-EX-...roductDetail.do
    let us know what you end up getting!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady: i've got the 5 MP version of that thing, its so tiny i love it, can take it anywhere, its about the size of my phone(razr) so almost never notice it in my pocket. picture quality isnt top of the line or anything, but damn its nice to have for just taking random photos.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I personally have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX8. I really like the size, the price wasn't half bad, and the quality / speed of the shots is pretty up there in my opinion. I've had a couple canon powershots in the past and was never completely satisfied with them.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I bought a Casio Exilim EX-S600 specifically for my trip to Norway. It's similar to the one steady has. The main reason I bought it was the excellent video recording feature for a camera its size. With a quick firmware update, the camera supports SDHC cards. With a 4GB card, I can take around 2 hours of continuous 640x480 at 30 fps quality video. Good microphone too. Large bright LCD screen. My only complaint is the wrist strap is too short for my large hands. The strap is a must because the camera is so tiny. I handed it to a friend, and forgot to tell him to put that on, so he dropped it on concrete two seconds later. There's a small dent in the corner now, but the camera still works fine. It's funny because every user review mentioned how fragile it is. The photo quality is what you'd expect for a simple point and shoot.

The Pentax WP series of cameras are also cool. They're waterproof, which is awesome if you're active outdoors. No worries when it rains. The cameras are small, easy to carry, and there is 3x zoom without a retracting lense. In general, Pentax makes durable cameras. They're cheaper, and the professional SLR series is compatible with a large selection of lenses.

Canon's and Nikon's cameras are great for professional photos. I owned a Canon Powershot, but it felt fragile. I wasn't happy with it. Too bulky and slow for a point and shoot, too simple and user friendly for a professional. In my opinion, Canon takes the best quality photos, but their hardware and features should be improved. Nikon's SLRs are great cameras for quality at a good price.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone know of a decent point and shoot digital that is pretty cheap... like around or just over the $50 mark? I'm not looking for anything to take poster sized prints, but something my kids can take on vacation and the images won't look like udder shit.
    It seems like 2 Megapixel camera's would be dirty cheap now, but no one seems to carry them anymore (5MP or up these days). I've been doing my best to find a great deal on some of the $100 camera's out there, but can't seem to find anything that takes it down to a decent price.