Home General Discussion

The Real Grindhouse (Tarentino Stole it)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
Just saw this posted on some other forums. I don't know how true it all is, but it seems completely in character for Tarantino to me.

http://www.therealgrindhouse.com/ (Read the text below the trailer stuff)

I've got to admit, I've never liked a thing about Tarantino, so I'm biased to believe that it's true and spread the word and all. Be interesting to hear what all of you think as well.

Replies

• AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Did you get to watch the video before it was pulled?
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Lol if thats true, what an asshole. They should sue the fuck out of him mad.gif Hate it when fat cats treat people like shit.

I heard he also ripped textures from HL2 tongue.gif J/K
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for this Tulkamir. I'm on the same page as you, I've never really liked a thing about Tarantino.
    I haven't seen either movie, so I don't know how much of the original is "ripped off". Chances are they only share the same title and genre.

-caseyjones
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Man I always knew I didn't like that guy. Now I don't like him even more. What a dick!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    never liked a thing about tarantino?
    pulp fiction?
    natural born killers?
    jackie brown?
    kill bill 1&2?

srsly
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    wait, did he steal anything besides the movie title and the genre? And, unless I'm mistaken, isn't "grindhouse" the title of the genre?

maybe i misread the text... it seems like this guy is bitching about terintino deciding to make a movie in the same genre as him, not really stealing any of his ideas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's the case, this guy is a little baby who needs to spend his time making movies instead of bitching about how some hollywood big shot made a movie in the same genre as him.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    never liked a thing about tarantino?
    pulp fiction?
    natural born killers?
    jackie brown?
    kill bill 1&2?

srsly

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I rest my case.

Glad to hear I'm not alone in my thoughts on the guy. smile.gif
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    wait, did he steal anything besides the movie title and the genre? And, unless I'm mistaken, isn't "grindhouse" the title of the genre?

maybe i misread the text... it seems like this guy is bitching about terintino deciding to make a movie in the same genre as him, not really stealing any of his ideas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's the case, this guy is a little baby who needs to spend his time making movies instead of bitching about how some hollywood big shot made a movie in the same genre as him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. He even awknowledges he knew Tarantino was a fan of the genre, even before he was shooting his film.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I thought Kill Bill 1&2 was balls. Walked into the cinema with high expectations and walked out with a disappointed look on my face. I do like Pulp Fiction and won't deny that he has made some good films. Just don't like the guy.

-caseyjones
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Casey, you pretty much said it like I've been thinking it. I've got more or less the same mindset.

I do agree that it seems as if only the general idea and name was stolen as well. (Though if that article is fully right, there was some real copywrite infringement on the title).

I would also like to point out that given this, Tarantino's own attempt to claim that the new bond was stolen from his ideas becomes quite hypocritical. Not to mention incredibly egotistical. (http://www.hollywood.com/news/Tarantinos_Bond_Grudge/3672694)
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Tarantino is FAMOUS for ripping off shit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Tarantino#Borrowing

I mean one has to look no further than Kill Bill. Had only about 3 original ideas in it. The rest were all taken from all the kung-fu movies he watched from the seventies.

I remember when he directed an episode of CSI a few years back. He went on the late night talk shows chatting it up, and basically said straight up that he stole the idea and copied it from a made for TV movie he watched when he was a kid.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I'm glad he steals ideas. He takes good ideas and makes them the best of what they can possibly be.

his movies would be shyt if he didn't.

Lighten up, copying can be good.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    "Bad artists copy. Good artists steal."
    ~Picasso
    (Granted he was an arrogant man)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I believe the man is a prick, but, I also like his movies, and agree that EVERYONE who is an artist steals. That's how you get better, that's how you learn, that's how you progress.

And I also agree with Ferg, that from the evidence presented so far, it only appears that he made a film in the same genre as the guy that's complaining. Don't get me wrong, if his movie was a double feature zombie/car chase, then he might have a case. But if his whole thing is that Tarantino made a movie called Grindhouse, and HE made a movie called Grindhouse, I don't think he's got much to stand on.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh hush, like noone here takes ideas from things they like.

*cough*WoW*cough*
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I can't really see why he is making a big deal about this. From looking at the trailer Grindhouse was a rip off of all Tarentino's other movies like say the remakes of the Mariachi idea, and his other vampire flicks. Zombies have been done and so have crazy people killing others. There is a department that deals with titles of movies already being used and they tell studios of this and to change it. My question is Why didn't this happen? He should have called the correct people and bitched, but it sounds like he didn't. Besides the "The Real Grindhouse (Tarentino Stole it)" is a much more exciting title especially since Tarentino is such a nice guy, than say Grindhouse wink.gif

I guess I ripped off the guy that inspired me by looking at his cool cute tank when I decided to make mine. wink.gif

Alex
  • chinups
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chinups polycounter lvl 17
    OMG thats such a scam, 99cents a download lol, as if...some shmuck trying to get money.
  • ill_logic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ill_logic polycounter lvl 17
    tarantino steals stuff... what a shocker!

but seriously, hasn't his entire career been based on the conventions of these same older movies? have these people seen any of his other movies, particularly jackie brown or kill bill? as time's gone on, he's only gotten more blatant about it.

but seriously, rodriguez had to really ham it up to pull of making planet terror seem as though it was an awesomely bad old horror movie. death proof just seemed like a tarantino movie (to me at least).

if anyone should sue tarantino over this movie, i think it should be the makers of vanishing point. dropping name references & then even getting the same car as kowalski? they at least deserve a check!

also, the makers of the 'real' grindhouse are really slighting rodriquez. hell, more than half of the movie is his (if you include machete). bastards. are they also going to go after edgar wright & rob zombie? (i could care less about eli roth)

-J
  • ill_logic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also if you were looking to make a proper case out of this, a proper press release would be a lot more legit than:

"Quentin Tarantino is a thieving piece of shit and he knows it."

just thinking out loud here...

-J
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Quentin Taratino steals from other pieces of work? ...no shit! He drops references in his movies like nobodies business.

I bet bruce lee was rolling in his grave when Uma Thurman was jumping around in that yellow jumpsuit though...

Upon reading this guy I think he's trying to claim the term Grindhouse as his own, which it's not. The film that hit theaters last week clearly states the definition of Grindhouse is where two B movies are played back to back. Not only that, but this guy's film is not related to the big blockbuster other than the name and where it was inspired from. He didn't sue because a lawyer told him he had no case, not because he just didn't want to.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like publicity stunt.
    Also "stealing" ideas, yea like why not? Its like evolution, if everyone made their own ideas then we only would have shitloads of shitty ideas.
    Also arent 90% Hollywood movies like almost exact replicas of some standardized script or other?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You'd think after the number of times this has happened in the past, that people would make some effort to protect their ideas before handing them over to some Hollywood exec. If this is indeed true then he's just learned a valuable lesson in not being naive, something that will no doubt serve him well in that cut-throat industry.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Tarantino is a terrible actor though, I wish people would stop giving him roles. Even cameos are irritating, because his face is annoying.

That said, he does make good movies.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    love his movies , hate him for stealing, love neo-god avatar. I rest my case.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    oh hush, like noone here takes ideas from things they like.

*cough*WoW*cough*

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah my thoughts exactly. that game has tons of reference to movies and even other games. this guy is just being a weiner who wants in on the movies' success.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    A bunch of wank. The guy's complaint is entirely that Tarantino stole his title, because Death Proof is not some haunted house horror flick. Considering that grindhouse is a term that's been in usage for decades, and that Tarantino has been doing the whole pulp/exploitation his entire career, I'm pretty sure he didn't need this guy's (foolishly unsolicited) poster Fed Ex'd to him to come up with his current feature.

To those who don't like Tarantino or his work, no problem (I find him arrogant and annoying), but I don't think he's ever claimed to have had an original concept put on film. Res Dogs is a remake of City On Fire, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown are basically Elmore Leonard clones (the latter especially), and Kill Bill is a modern day hodge-podge of kung fu, samurai epic and spaghetti western flicks. I haven't heard anyone shitting on Scorsese's Oscar win because The Departed was a direct adaptation of Infernal Affairs - I don't think it's stealing if you do it in broad daylight with everyone watching (and like as not applauding.)
  • Nogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whether Tarintino has stolen movies or not, he's getting a lot of attention for it (good and bad), and in the end, isn't that what Hollywood really is about? Fame?

I don't care about Tarintino as a person, but I like his movies. I'm still planning on seeing Grindhouse in theatres.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    what? Tarentino stealing? who cares?

isn't his entire directing style basicaly making homages?
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah mostly homages and he never hid that fact.

He's a movie fanatic and he's just bringing back some of his favorite movies/characters/genres and mixing them together.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    agreed with teh turd above ^
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, lots of good points. I'd have to agree now that this is a crock.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Verm.....spot on dude...
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    ....and starwars is a copy of star trek with blasters instead of phasers.
  • ill_logic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    ....and starwars is a copy of star trek with blasters instead of phasers.

[/ QUOTE ]

and hidden fortress, but with droids instead of retarded farmers.

-J