Home General Discussion

Your favorites on the DS and PSP.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
Finally got my hands on a PSP and a DS. I was wondering what are your favorite games on these two portable pieces of gaming goodness. So far I'm loving Brain Age on DS, the Sudoku puzzles are so addicting! And I've always been a huge GTA fan so I'm very much lovin some Liberty City Stories!

Replies

• Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    The Castlevania series on the DS has lost the charm of the old art style it retained up until Aria of Sorrow, and has been replaced by some generic anime bullshit, but the gameplay is still superb. A welcome substitute for the departure of Metroid. New Super Mario Bros wasn't bad, albeit a tad bit easy. I hear Meteos is an excellent puzzle game. Another popular one I haven't tried yet is Pheonix Wright, looks funny, worth a peek. But don't forget, ANIMAL CROSSING.

As for the PSP, there's a limited library with shitloads of half-assed ports. There are a few gems though. As forementioned, GTA, as well as Lumines, Metal Slug Collection, WipEOut Pure, and Metal Gear Portable Ops.

Handhelds are great. : )
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    DS: Animal Crossing, Final Fantasy 3, Brain Age. That's all I've got. I hear Metroid Prime Hunters is good too. 'Fraid I don't have a PSP though, so I can't suggest anything on that front.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    The Phoenix Wright games are both great. Meteos is a lot of fun. I can vouch for Metroid Prime Hunters, though if you don't have the thumb stylus, be prepared for hand cramps with play sessions lasting longer than, oh, half an hour?

No PSP, but there's apparently a huge collection of PS2 games that run on an emulator on the handheld.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    animal crossing
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Lumines for PSP = must , for the DS - the new mario bros smile.gif
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    Killzone liberation, Syphon filter, if your into fighters guilty gear, Street fighter alpha 3, and tekken are very well done for the PSP. Daxter and Ratchet and clank are among the best games on the system. Oh and Lumines and Loco Roco are great if you can get them for 20 dollars or less. For Ds Games Try Custom Robo there's a shit ton of dialogue to click through at times but its like a portable Armored core, Age of Empires fucking rocks the system. I personally didn't like the Metroid game for DS to each his own.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    yeah, the castlevania 'cut-scene characters' have dripped into hohum anime, but the actual game art is some of the best pixelart ever made, and the gameplay is amazingly addictive--like a sidescrolling diablo. both of the games rock.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Only game I bought for my PSP was Monster Hunter. Go get it and support the cause!! *_*

Keep your eye peeled for SimCity DS. Should be here sometime this summer? And, if you like strategy games Advance Wars DS is great.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    The only game I keep playing on the DS is Tony Hawks american wasteland. It plays exactly like all other tony hawk games and has surprisingly good graphics.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Cooking Mama for the DS!
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't been playing my PSP much, and currently only have two games, but Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is phenomenal. The story has incredible depth (just as one would expect from the series), the graphics are just about as good as it's PlayStation 2 counterparts, the gameplay is in realtime, like other Metal Gear games, it's got online play, and there's an added element of strategy when managing your Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, and Delta teams.

I sound like a walking advertisement, but it really is a great game. Check it out. laugh.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    PSP
    - Archer Maclean's Mercury
    - Mercury Meltdown
    - Wipeout
    - Burnout Legends
    - Vice/Liberty City Stories
    - LocoRoco
    - PQ
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    True Swing Golf on the DS
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    definitely the castlevania series on DS damn awesome gameplay and as Joe said, some of the best pixel art ever done, great music too.

on PSP, I'd say Daxter is one fo the best platformers out
  • Nogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mariokart for the DS (as long as you're playing with 2+ people with a DS)

I don't play a lot of PSP games, but Daxter's fun if you're a fan of the Jak & Daxter series, but Star Wars Battlefront II is really good too.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    And Metal Slug Anthology on PSP laugh.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Too bad they don't sell Bleach DS in the US (at least as far as I know), that's a neat little fighting game.

New Super Mario Bros is a no brainer.

I liked Megaman ZX.

Many people seem to like Trauma Center and Kirby: Canvas Curse.

Castlevania PoR seems somehow weaker than the other Cvs on the handhelds, no idea why. I like the gameplay system but the levels are less interesting. Worth playing but I'd go through the GBA Cvs (yes, even Harmony of Dissonance) and DoS first.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    advance wars for the DS is the best. you can easily sink 100+hours into that game.
    i'm also diggin FF3.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    if you like pokemon, then get Emerald for GBA. Pokemon Ranger was fun and you can get an exclusive by playing through the main and then all the extra missions, leading up to Diamond and Pearl for the DS this month. wink.gif

New Mario was ho-hum.. not even interesting enough for me to care about finishing.

Phoenix Wright is pretty interesting, but be prepared to read A LOT!

Brain Age is good for your noggin.

Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (if you are a big fan of the old PS version)

i hear the Castlevanias are awesometastic.

avoid Diddy Kong Racing like a rabid spider monkey...

Trauma Center is a bit nerve wracking sometimes. lol
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    you know kdr--I felt that way about portrait of ruin too...but then I REALLY got into it..mostly its the sidequests (a great addition!) and all the OCD collectable aspects--which they really fine tuned for this game (100% the skills, items, poweringup skills, quests, map, it just keeps going..!)
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    I know it's not out or anything but there is hope for the psp!

Castlevainia Dracula X Chronicles looks to be sweet!

I also really want to play Pirates on PSP since I've yet to play it on any system.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I just picked up a DS myself, so this is a good thread to read over. Although there haven't been any surprises yet.

I bought mine with Hotel Dusk (great game - probably a lot like Phoenix Wright which I haven't played yet), and Lunar Knights, which I'm holding off on playing until I beat Hotel Dusk. I hear it's great though.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    ELITE BEAT AGENTS. and the original game from japan ouse tatake ouendan (butchered spelling) fantastic fun games.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    favorite games on the psp:

sonic the hedgehog
    sonic the hedgehog 2
    streets of rage
    double dragon
    earthworm jim
    mario kart
    super mario world
    doom
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I gotta say on the DS there's:

Elite Beat Agents
    Animal Crossing
    Mario Kart
    New Super Mario Bros
    Final Fantasy 3

On the PSP:

Syphon Filter
    Metal Gear Solid
    Wipeout
    Lumines 1 or 2
    GTA series
    and of course the best game Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters is the best platformer (sorry vahl).
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Puzzle Quest is surprisingly cool. It's basically a HOMM-style rpg (not sure how the companions thing works since I've just started playing and don't have any), where the battles are played out in a turn-based variant of Bewjewelled. I haven't played the PSP version, but I'd imagine the DS version would win out just on the fact that Bejewelled really needs a touch screen to be played properly.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    DS:

I love puzzle quest. Must buy it as soon as I can. It's out of stock on play.com and it's not even released in Sweden yet.

Bought castlevania por today to have something to play while I do my commuting of hell. Need to stay sane!

So far it's pretty nice.