Home General Discussion

Get Well Cards for Josh

I just saw this video on YouTube, and it was kind of touching. There's an eight-year-old boy in Kentucky dying of leukemia. His name is Josh Adkins, and his last wish is to get into the Guinness Book of World Records by receiving the most get-well cards.

I think it would really add some happiness to the rest his time in this world if the members of Polycount could help to fulfill that wish. I encourage you to send him a card, and get your friends and family to do so too. I'm sure we all pass by a mailbox at least once a day, so it's not a lot to ask, considering what's being asked of him.

You can see the video here. Pass it on.

Replies

• Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/children/shergold.htm

I hope its not related to that. Because then it goes from touching to sick and exploitive.

[ QUOTE ]
    Guinness World Records retired the category for the most get-well cards, leaving Craig's 1992 record of 33 million unchallenged. Cards continue to flow in, though, and the latest guesstimate has it that over 200 million have been received. Years ago Craig's Shelby Road home was granted the British equivalent of its own postal code.

At one time, Guinness explained its position very clearly in the FAQ on their web site, saying of Shergold record:

This record attempt has ceased. Many years ago, a boy fighting cancer started a campaign for people to send him get-well messages in order to set a record for the most items received. Not only was that boy successful in getting a mention in the 1991 edition of the Guinness World Records book, he also made a full recovery. However, since then chain mails have started up with variations on the original story, some requesting business cards or compliments slips rather than get-well messages. If you get any such request, please destroy it, and if anyone asks you about it, please tell them it is a hoax!

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is a hoax...they're going to get owned for putting their faces on YouTube.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While it's true there have been many campaigns like this, I don't believe this one is a hoax. Even if he doesn't get into the Guinness Book of World Records, he'll be happy to know that someone at least took the time to send him a little message of good will.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That snopes article mentions Guinness closing off the category for get-well cards, so it would seem like a hoax. Either that, or very uninformed but real people