Home Technical Talk

strange wacom issue

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
ok i'm wondering if anyone has ever had this issue or heard of anyone having a similar problem before.

here's what happening, i have an intuos 3 6x11 tablet. Every once in awhile i get error messages saying either "tablet driver not found" or "tablet driver needs to be reinstalled", all the while the tablet works just fine. I get these while using the older version of the drivers 4.93-3 which are aimed for Windows XP only, no vista or 64bit. BUT after some time that driver "breaks" ie the pen only works in mouse mode and none of the tablet functions can be accessed, i get the same error saying tablet driver not found etc etc, but this time nothing works.

Now, I tried the newest versions of the drivers, the ones aimed for XP, Vista etc. and they usually work just fine for about 4 hours... at which point every active window starts to scroll sporadically, and it then becomes very difficult to uninstall this pestilence since everything keeps scrolling back and forth without any input on my part.

So there... every single wacom driver i've tried BREAKS, eventually that is. and these drivers have always been pretty stable on all my other machines, so i'm wondering if its something here thats making it go all out of wack, but i really don't know what it could be, so just posting to see if anyone has ever had any problems like that or heard of any solutions ... PLZ smile.gif

Replies

• cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    one of the many recent windows updates breaks the drivers so that is why this occurs. i am not sure which update it is but i have noticed this too. i wonder if it has anything to do with vista code or compatibility with vsita and xp since installing wacom drivers on vista will also get borked with the same error.

err also, if you installed the latest wacom drivers that's supposed to work on xp and vista then that may be the reason why there is weirdness there as well...
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Is this on your laptop?
    I dont have a specific solution to help you with , but..

At work a year ago, I had a serial wacom tablet that would be working, then just not work. Which all I needed to do was reboot...????.. then it would work. funny drivers maybe.

I got upgraded to a usb wacom, not Intuos 3, but step below that and its never conked out.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Found this on the Wacom knowledge base.

http://www.wacom.com/faqs/knowledge_search.cfm?id=237

might help.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I sometimes get that happening (errors saying driver not installed or the stylus acting like a mouse), usually seems to be tied to me leaving Photoshop open while locking/unlocking the computer.

Usually a log off/log on again fixes it, if not a reboot always makes it work again. I haven't had to reinstall any drivers, I just have the latest ones (although it's an Intuos2), it doesn't even do it that often... but it does do it from time to time.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    when that happens instead of rebooting i just unplug the usb , plu it again and bam , fixed smile.gif its weird and annoyinh too thou...
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    johny what you are suggesting requires a_getting up and b_bending over
    that's practically preposterous

i've these errors occasionally, dunno which versions were the drivers, i just reboot.
    all you can do is switch drivers really
  • hawken
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    yeah ive had this one the last week or 2 also!

annoying aint it

r.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    I had the same problem after some windows update. Downloading the latest Wacom drivers fixed it, but it also reset all my settings for the tablet. This means your touch pads on the sides of the tablet now work again (if you disabled them), hence the sporadic scrolling in active windows. My wrist tends to press the touch pads accidentally while I'm typing and causes the active window scrolling to go nuts. When I first got an Intuos 3 tablet, it took me about an hour to figure that one out. smile.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    nah i put the pen away and didn't even touch the tablet, and the scrolling kept going on, its working well with the old drivers now, but i guess we'll see how it goes.
  • allyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    I had a problem with the scrolling just last month. It occured in Internet Explorer only. I thought the buttons were stuck, but the pen and tablet worked fine in Photoshop which was the other application I had open. Not sure how it happened, but it eventually went back to normal after swapping back and forth between Photoshop, IE, and exploring through my files.