Home Technical Talk

macroscripts

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
i tried to remove primitives from 3ds max today. didn't work.
in the macroscript folder theres a file named
Macro_ObjectsPrimitives.mcr, and it seems to have listings of all the primitives in max.
i removed the whole file, and restarted max.
primitives worked perfectly.
so where are the primitives, and how can i remove them?
even better, i'd like to modify the standard values of the cylinder for example. never needed 5 heightsegs..

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is how I get around the problem, its only a half fix but it works pretty well.

Before you click to create the cylinder set your segments and sides, this will set those numbers as default for that scene. Now every time you go to make a cylinder in that scene it will use those defaults. Unfortunately setting up your maxstart.max file this way, won't work. I'm sure there is a more technical way to butcher max into doing what you want but this should help make life easier for now.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There used to be a plugin or script around somewhere that let you create your own primitives. Can't find it in a quick search though. But I'll keep an eye out.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Here's a script I wrote for an artist at GPG that had similar complaints. Unzip it to your UI/Macroscripts folder, restart Max, and then make a button for it. It's pretty self-explanatory, just makes primitives with more game-friendly defaults.

quickPrimitives.zip
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Why would you want to remove primitives from Max? They tend to be the base for almost all polygonal models for games. Am I not understanding the question?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theres certain primitives i do not use, and theres certain primitives i do use, that i'd like to be on that list of "standard primitives" instead.

i'll check out that quickprimitives thing fatassasin, thanks.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Hope this isn't a hijack ... but while we're on the subject of ridding ourselves of evil, does anyone know how I might remove the Edit Patch modifier and Convert to Editable Patch from the modifier list right-click menu?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did you know theres almost 100 modifiers in the modifier list?
    how on eart are you supposed to remember what all this stuff is supposed to do?
    i remember back when i was just a pencil and paper guy
    all the tool i ever needed was pencil, eraser, and sharpener.
    mudbox gave me that feeling again, its clean, unobstructed and actually fun to work with.
    i wish all programs were like that.
    3ds max is bloatware, its got way too much stuff for its own good. its like a fat guy who ate, and got obese.
    its too much. way too much. too much features everywhere.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i agree w/you dejawolf. and not only is the obese guy still eating...he seems to remember all the food he hated. and on top of that...he rarely goes to a restaraunt twice to order something better. he continuously farts and burps and throws up because all the crap he's eatin' over the years.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hope this isn't a hijack ... but while we're on the subject of ridding ourselves of evil, does anyone know how I might remove the Edit Patch modifier and Convert to Editable Patch from the modifier list right-click menu?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, yeah... I've accidentally converted to patch once or twice in the recent past... not difficult to undo, but annoying all the same!
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, nowadays i only use the right click menu for hiding unhiding, freezing, and creating certain primitives.
    i have line rectangle, circle, cylinder and box on my right click quad menu,
    and added hotkeys for convert to editable mesh to C, and convert to editable poly to V.
    so creating a box and converting to editable mesh is lightning quick.
    you can remove editable patch by going to customize>customize User Interface > quads, then click no the bottom left cornered grey or yellow marker thing.
    therre should be a context convert to. expand it, and remove the items by right clicking>delete menu item
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think Malekyth was referring to the list you get when right-clicking over the stack, rather than the quad menus you get when right-clicking in the viewport (I know I was!).

Now that you mention it though, it's a pretty good idea to have convert to EPoly on a hotkey, I think I'll have to start doing that smile.gif
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    you know, the only feature i normally look for whenever a new max version comes out is the ability to customize the rollouts themselves.get to pick yourselves which button should be in there and where, switch to the default layout if needed. that would so make my day over having some programmer dude decide that the frequently used function x is to be placed somewhere far down the list within a myriad of the more useless buttons.

i mean, does autodesk employ interface designers or do the intern coders put together the interface? are autodesk actually using their own maze .. eh program? i fear i do not even want to know the answers. laugh.gif
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually discreet were the original creators of 3ds max, and then they got bought up by autodesk.
    www.discreet.com will redirect you to autodesk.com
    but max was already fairly bloated during its earlier days.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    from what i recall, max development was started by kinetix, the former yost group, a bunch of freaks who used to write plugins for 3d studio DOS in more prehistoric times.

later, autodesk bought them and slapped the discreet label onto them to beef up on coolness. discreet logic themselves, makers of famous hi end video solutions, had been bought by autodesk not too long before that. and i'm sure they were were really happy to be associated with max, the crashfest piece of quality 3d software. wink.gif
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Now that you mention it though, it's a pretty good idea to have convert to EPoly on a hotkey, I think I'll have to start doing that smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, I was talking about right-clicking over the stack, but putting it into the Quad menu is definitely a better idea! Working from the Quad, or maybe a hotkey (though I tend to use hotkeys for things I use more frequently than that ... or I never learn them smile.gif ), would be faster than clicking the modifier list, anyway.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i use modifier sets. why these are not open standard is way beyond me. you have a little button that looks lik a windows window with 4 buttons under the modifier list, click that and configure modifier sets.
    here you can pull whatever modifiers you use the most dowon onto as many buttons as you'd like.