Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

NBA Street next gen environments and new web site.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Hello, I have finally purchased a .com and I have updated my website with user friendly functionality as suggested like 2 years ago.

http://malcolm341.com

1. click on a thumbnail then click on the big image to be taken back. You can now naviagate the site with just the mouse.

2. I've added a back button to any page that leads to a gallery.

3. Cleaned up my resume and made it more clear and concise.

4. NBA Street Homecourt environments on the top left, the broken link is the downloadable court that has not been released yet I will upload the images as soon as it is available on xbox live.

5. Background image and title image, now my page actually looks like an artist may have made it.

6. Please let me know if you find anything that is broken except the missing image on the main page as I already know about that.

8. Still need to brand all my images but I thought I would share first and add the branding mombojumbo this weekend.

Replies

• Jaco
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Easy to navigate website and awesome work! Haven't found any broken links yet. Very minor problem, the title says Untitled smile.gif
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    No Offence... But are you SURE those are next gen? The courts all seem really last gen to me, as in PS2 level? I understand that as an EA game it needs to have awesome detial on player models and nothing else, but those shots really do seem PS2 level. The detail otherwise is fantastic, its just the texture resolution (Polycount, while low, is also not really a problem as such in these scenes).

The problem I have is the first thing I notice is the silly filer used over everything. Then I remember its the style of the game, so thats fine. But then I see the courts texture resolution could of been done on a PSP and its like "yuk" time.

Other than that the work is great! The weapon models stand out as top notch work and the subway scene is leaps and bounds above the basketball stuff!

(In no way am I being harsh to you. I know how EA work and more than likely, it was their decision for the courts to be that under detailed. It just came as a shock to me because everything I saw of this game looked nice before.)
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Ahhh wait a darn second... I WAS LOOKING AT PS2 SHOTS. Right? I just clicked another (un marked) pic and it took me to another page of shots of BB courts and these look way more next gen to me. Sorry about that tongue.gif
  • Sa74n
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    incredible environments. very impressive with the lighting and colours - and texturing =). dont know if its worth showing the playstation controller and smirnoff bottle - they look a bit weak compared to the rest and are not really game related (or of other significance).
  • beancube
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    yeh, loving the overall lighting on each environment smile.gif
    Thanks for sharing.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome stuff Malcolm, I always like seeing your environments, they're really consistent in terms of style and high quality. Great work!

Just curious, are they entirely your work (modelling/uv-maps/texturing/lighting), or did other people do stuff for them?
    Also, are those screenshots from the game, or renders from the modelling app?

Cool stuff all round.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looks really nice. Very cohesive lighting and environment bits. Is this the same engine as NFS:MW? Looks similar in some ways, especially the lighting.

Also seconding Mop's question.

poop.gif
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    LOVE your work! love your site. your older layout had inspired mine, and your recent changes are nice.

42.55 KB is pretty big for a thumbnail. i'd aim for half that to speed up load times, especially when there are so many loading at one time (40 KB x60 for your first page)

"ruckerdlcgallery"? more like "fuxoredlcgallery" wink.gif
    for me, all of the associated thumbs for that gallery are broken images.
  • EricElwell
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    hey malcolm, fantastic work! Very inspirational

also having problems as kp, nothing in that gallery shows up. thumbs or large images. Really though, great stuff!
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    also, you should name the title of your page to something other than untitled. when i added it to my bookmarks i had to name it so i could pick it out from a list.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Great work as usual Malcolm. Just wish I could view most of it. Your host server is incredibly slow, even on the massive pipe we have here at work.
    Other than that, no complains. Layout is super simple, but it works for what you need. Also, as KP mentioned, a page name would be nice smile.gif
  • allyx
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    Great work, the renders are awesome, but I did notice a chunky shadow scene in the Goat section.
    http://malcolm341.com/goat05big.htm

I love the weapons, but you may want to change the wireframe color for the weapons to white or another color to have more contrast between the textured surface to make it a little easier read.

I also bookmarked your site. smile.gif
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    as i said on msn the scenes are really nice. detail texture magic for the win!
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome thanks for your comments guys. I have been bookmarked!

Odium, yeah the bottom shots are from the ps2 those are years old, I will brand the images this weekend to make it more clear what you are looking at.

Mop, all the work there is mine there are a few misc models that my friend did but 98% of the work in those shots I did. Models, textures, lighting, uv map, and colour correction all by me. We had a really small team so we decided to give each artist 2-3 environments and have them take it from start to finish by themselves. I do not recommend this deligation of work and it just about killed me. I am extremely humbled after shipping my first next gen game and developed some kind of stress disorder trying to finish these 3 environments.

Poop, nope this is a new engine written specifically for NBA Street Homecourt, NFS does not have falloff shadows or ambient occlusion. These are all in game shots taken from the xbox360 version I did not retouch these images at all. Of note you guys might be interested in these features of the rendering engine.

1. 4x full screen antialiasing 60fps @ 720p

2. 4x full screen antialiasing 30fps @ true 1080p on xbox360

3. unified baked lighting system on everything in the world all models can shelf shadow and shadow others.

4. baked directional soft shadows that spread and blur from the casting source

5. baked ambient occlusion on the whole world, all models can shelf occlude and occlude other models.

killingpeople the broken gallery has not shipped in the game yet I will fix that link when the fourth environment is available on xbox live. I will add a title I didn't even know that mattered, I don't know much about .html

allyx, yeah that is a resolution issue, with the harder shadows they get stair stepped if they are too low res, we have a fix for that but it never made it into the pipe, you shouldn't be able to see anything like that from the game cam any ways.
  • Pedro Amorim
    oh. this environments are so good! these are some of the best i've seen. laugh.gif
    God dude. pretty awesome! pretty inspirational!!
    gonna downloaded them to my inspirational folder asap. pure eyecandy!
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    very nice stuff man, as adam said, very good use of detail textures the result is damn cool
  • Sayanora
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    Malcolm, I'm not sure there's anything left to say, critique or praise wise. Top work man, exactly what I want to aspire to smile.gif
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone!

Are people still having speed issues with the site? I've tried it from home on my older computer downstairs and at work and it seems acceptable as the full size images are 440k and I saw on Poop's site that he uses .gif files for thumbnails so I tried that and was able to half the file size for each thumbnail so the gallery type stuff should load faster. I didn't even know .gif files had improved in image quality. Last time I used one was like 1996 and it looked horrible. I also removed the older work as it seemed out of place with the new stuff. Still need to figure out what I'm going to do with the background image to keep it from tiling on resolutions higher than 1280x960. And if anyone accidentally goes to my old site I've put a page up to direct them to my new site.
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    very nice stuff dude! looks great!

good renders
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, the nba street stuff isn't a render it's an in game shot taken by pressing x on the 360 controller. Or did you mean the older stuff?
  • Sandbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    beautiful work
  • JZak
    Offline / Send Message
    JZak polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Malcolm thanks for sharing your link to your updated site.
    It's great to see some really impressive environment work.
    Would you be able to post up your textures as well? I think
    it would be interesting to see how you packed your maps and
    the various texture sizes as well.
    Cheers!
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Hey I played the NBA demo the other day, very nice in action!