Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SciFi Wall Panels

Sayanora
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
Right now, I'm working on getting my portfolio off the ground. So far, I've created a header for my name title and the monitor off to the right for my contact info.

The lighting is subject to change, but I just wanted to get some overall feedback.

One version is has projected shadows ala' an overhead grate or the like. The other doesn't. Just looking for some feedback, thanks smile.gif

webtemplatevl9.th.jpg
webtemplate1mp3.th.jpg

Replies

• chinups
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chinups polycounter lvl 17
    Hey man, im not sure i like the one with shadows, its just to busy imo.
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks nice, it should be an interesting site, I agree with chinups about the shadows though.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks sweet, agree on the shadows. Are you also going to make a game asset out of that?
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, appreciate the insight. I kinda figured the shadows were too busy, but they looked cool at first smile.gif No matter, I'm axing them as your conclusions seem to be unanimous.

StJoris:

I don't think I'll be making a game asset out of this piece in particular. However, I will be doing a sci-fi environment as soon as my site is up.
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wish I'd finished this soon after I posted the model, but I got wrapped up in other things. Anyway, it's more or less finished and my site will finally go up tomorrow, assuming something catastrophic doesn't go down.

Despite it being largely done, if you feel it could be improved in any way, let me know! Thanks everyone smile.gif

websiteartou2.jpg
  • Fjornsvavne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fjornsvavne polycounter lvl 17
    Looks good smile.gif Supposedly it won't be that big in it's finished state? Making a pretty hefty header, I'm just saying. ^^
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think u should reduce the glowiness of the email id?
    otherwise it looks cool!
  • madman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good for me, maybe you can just add more rust on texture, but this my my private feeling, nice work!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the whites are too strong, maybe add some scratches or something that breaks the monotony of really sharp edges ?
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice for a header, but i find your scratches are in strange places, in the crevices near handles? I'd say the handle would deflect blows or scratching and should get it instead. The big interlocking doors seem like they get scratched a lot more when the teeth clang into each other, but it looks crisp clean. Now for a header that's perhaps not too important, I guess. I second indian_boys opinion about the glowiness. Looking good for the rest:)
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really wanted to have this up earlier, but my isp (along with imageshack)has made this difficult. No biggie, here's the updated version!

websiteartnewjd8.jpg

Fjornsvavne:

No, I don't think it will be quite this big in the final version. Although, I don't plan on having links to a bunch of empty/useless sections, so we'll see smile.gif

indian_boy:

I completely agree and I had no intention of leaving it that glowy, w/orange to begin with, that was just the mouseover graphic when you highlight to click the email link. I disabled it in this version.

madman:

I'd thought about making this thing super dirty/nasty and all that, but I wanted to keep it somewhat clean. However, I did add some rust stains dripping underneath the screws/bolts.

Johny:

I brought the whites down a bit and add more of a pale yellow (maybe it's a bit more saturated than a pale?) to the main light. If it's still too much, let me know smile.gif Also did some strategic scratchery throughout the piece as well.

StJoris:

I'd thought about the placement of my scratches as well and you helped bring some of that to light. Banged up the handles and other panel pieces some and got rid of most of the excess in areas that wouldn't have received much damage. Really banged up the teeth on the doors as well, hope this works laugh.gif

Hopefully, I've taken most of your comments into consideration.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey sayonara, i did a paintover to your design
    paintoverxg3.gif

i think this could work well. lots of tubes and pipes and rust.. like the nuclear dawn website and whatnot.

the menu could be done with flash, with the buttons going up and down. and throwing smoke arround
    laugh.gif

just my 2cents
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    keep it simple, theres nothing as annoying as waiting flash stuff to load when all that matters is the gallery smile.gif looks cool , the white highlight in the down part of the header is still very strong .
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I don't like how the wires cover your name, to be honest. At first glance, it looks like it says "Daug Kavanag".
    Other than that, looks sweet. I like bitmap's suggestion on nav bar placement as well. Good stuff.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Judging pre-emptively, this looks way too bulky for a folio page. Simplify it! gogogo!