Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Road Warrior

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
CheeseOnToast greentooth
Another character for my frenzied porfolio boosting spree :

RoadWarriorWIP1-1.jpg

RoadWarriorWIP2-1.jpg

Heavily inspired by Japanese fashion. Google "Harajuku" for some mental references. It's a district in Tokyo famous for teenage fashion.

Still got a few bits to build, including holsters + weapons. I'm considering giving her a feather boa. I think I'll go for a red white and black colour scheme, with the jacket oxblood, complete with white racing stripes.

The low poly model will have alpha'd hair tufts coming out of the hair ties. I know it looks a bit odd without them laugh.gif

Replies

• fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    looks good cheese. something is slightly bothering me about her shoulders and i can't quite put it into words. love the face and all the strap detail. outta curiosity...do you do your straps n'stuff in mudbox? or another app?

s'lookin' real good!

cheers

i got it about the shoulders!!! the arms look like they would be sticking out from the top part of the shoulder area. i think the biceps on down to the hands needs to be lowered just a tad
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Cheers Fritz, good call I think. I'm also not sure about the length of her neck. I'll probably make some tweaks on the low-poly model, where I won't have to worry about shifting 1000's of verts at a time.

The hard suface bits and pieces are modelled in the Silo 2 beta, btw.
  • allyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    She is looking great so far. Perhaps the knees could use a little smoothening.
    I really want to see the finish on this. smile.gif
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    good stuff Cheese(awsom avatar btw), but i think those boots have too brutal and massive shapes, maybe more elegant silhouette can make it cooler?
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Finished the low-poly, and started texturing.

RoadWarriorWIP3.jpg

Askhat - I know what you mean, but I wanted big and brutal laugh.gif
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    oh this is looking really nice man. Textured head is fantastic, coat shader very nice too.

Looking forward for next updates.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    the fringe would look better if it were modelled. Normal mapping is good for somethings but not fringes.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looks really good, I really like the face smile.gif

The shoulders and upper arms are still off though (unles its meant to be stylised?).

Anyway, a PO to show what I mean..

poanimvx6.gif
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Cheers guys, I've fixed up the shoulder/armpit area as suggested by fritz and Xaltar (oooh, fancy gif laugh.gif), and dropped the arms a little too. The high shoulders are a bad habit of mine, so crits like this are a big help.

Hawken - agreed. I'll see if I can go back to the highpoly and model some thickness into the fringe and ditch the bumpy hair, hopefully without fucking up my existing textures.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Nearly there :

RoadWarriorWIP4.jpg
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knee caps are off, otherwise nice work.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looking better smile.gif The sharp edge (seam on the top of the jacket sleve) on the shoulder needs to be brought in tho, the way it is now is not realistic and would be bloody uncomfortable. If you want it there you will need to scale it up a bit verticaly and then rotate it a bit so the bottom is almost flush with the armpit. Take a look for some leather jacket reffs and also have a look at some anatomy of the shoulder region. And yeah the knee caps need to wrap arround the leg a bit (not the cap realy, just the wrinkled skin, again, some good reffs will help a lot).

Looking good to me otherwise. Keep it up smile.gif

Oh and the gif is just a basic image transition wink.gif
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    She looks French I quite like the face.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    nice work, the only thing I don't like and it's more of a personal taste is the totally realistic clips on her boots...they look exactly like they do in the real world and come off as rather boring and uncreative, technically solid though. Best of wishes with your portfolio.