Home General Discussion

TMNT Movie! + new games

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
WEEEEEEEEE cowabunga says it all! Going to the first showing here at 12:30pm, reviews havn't been too kind, but like that would have stopped me!

Been playing the GBA version and its very good. Supposedly its the best of the new games. Bought the XBOX360 version also, but waiting till i see the movie to play. Supposed to be like Prince of Persia for kids, but will post impressions after see the movie and stuff later today!

Replies

• Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    The only bad thing I heard was that splinters voice is a bit lame, hopefully I'll get to see this sucker soon too!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, I'm disappointed in the way Splinter sounded in the commercials. Funny, my wife was the first to point it out. I do think it came out way better than I was expecting though (base on the commercials atleast).
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    will be seeing it tonight!

can't wait!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'll probably pick up the new 360 game as well. Though last night I was playing the original TMNT arcade game (they got it on 360's arcade smile.gif )
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK FOLKS! Its official, the movie ROX0RZ MAH BOXORZ!!!!

Opening was dumbed down with a narration explaining what was going on, but i guess not everyone knows a whole lot about the turtles, especially the kiddies.

Voice acting was all pretty good, Splinters voice didn't seem to fit him, was a bit too 'rough' for my taste. Visually its stunning, everything looks good, the fight scene in the rain was especially impressive.

Story with the villian was only so-so, it was much more interesting to see what was going on with the 4 turtles working out their problems, mostly Leo and Raph as usual.

There were some cool ass looking monsters in the film, the only problem is they are only shown for a couple seconds at a time, as more of a montage then fight scenes.

Ending was kinda quick, but make obvious remarks to a (possible) sequel, which better happen.

All in all i give the film 1000000000 stars out of 5, so quit reading this and head to your local theater!
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I think its because Splinter sounds too much like Aku that people are having a problem with his voice.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Based on that review, I'll wait for the DVD :P
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Based on that review, I'll wait for the DVD :P

[/ QUOTE ]

BASED ON MY REVIEW YOU WILL GO SEE IT RITE NOW THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!11oneeleven
  • EarthQuake
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    Can't wait til 3D Guy makes me go with him to see it! (which he has already informed me will happen...)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Just got back from it.

Surprisingly good.

Full of cheese - but its a goddamn ninja turtles movie. Excellent children's movie - so go there expecting that and no more.
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    Just got back from it too. It reminded me why I liked turtles as a kid. It's freakin Turtles!! Great Movie but the story line was kind of weak, but hey, it is a kids movie. And it had Patrick Stuart in it, my hero!!!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got back and it was damned entertaining!

I loved the characterization. The stuff between Leo and Raph was fantastic.

Excellent movie, I'll go watch it again tomorrow most likely.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Apart from feeling a bit short and being at times a bit heavy on the exposition, I really enjoyed this. They've done an exceptional job of balancing between the comics, cartoon series and movies which must have been a bloody nightmare to get just right.

Its also got some lovely animation, something that far too often is missing from CG movies. Fight scenes are well choreographed and have everything has a good sense of weight. Theres a particularly nice shot towards the end of the Foot Ninjas dispersing.

It really did need to be about half an hour longer so that they could dwell on some of the sotry elements long enough for them to make some impact. As already mentioned, the ending seemed particularly short.

I actually really liked this representation of Splinter. His thick Japanese accent did take a few moments to get used to but I think he's probably my favourite representation of the character.
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    first off. yes I liked the movie.

The art was a cross between Brad Bird (the Incredibles, obvious influence) Stargate, and the Fifth Element.

I think this movie had better fight choreography, than any other animated project I have seen.

Mako may not have been the Pen-ultimate person to voice splinter, but hes freaking MAKO! He was the embodiment of all that is wise ass Chinese wisdom. I say was, because he died of throat cancer shortly after he finished recording his lines.

Mikey Kelley was a perfect Michaelangelo. I wasn't Familiar with the voice actors of the other turtles, but I think they were spot on for their characters.

Chris Evans and Sarah Michelle Gellar were good enough as Casey Jones and April. Enough so, that I didn't think "HEY, that's not Casey Jones, thats Chris Evans."

overall, I think its a good PG film and the art of the movie was close to the original idea for the turtles.

If you understand what it was you liked about the turtles as a kid and think you would still like that, you should check them out. <reading Rainbow exit jingle>
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    The stuff between Leo and Raph was fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think this movie had better fight choreography, than any other animated project I have seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarah Michelle Gellar is April... groan...
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just saw it, dug it. grin.gif Hopefully if they do a second one it will at least match this one in standard.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it last night. 'Awesome' sounds about right. smile.gif
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah seen it today...thought it was pretty cool.....
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I love the movie overall.
    My Gripes:
    Story was pathetic, I didn't care at all about the stupid 13 monsters & his brothers or whatever. Something involving Splinter, Krang, or some other known baddie would have been cool.

Splinter's voice was horrible, and even his look wasn't quite right.

I didn't mind how April looked. . . but what the fuck happened to her being a reporter. . . it was very strange, especially when she starts fighting along side the turtles. .

KC Jones was totally wrong dude. He was some Keanu Reeves/Surfer boy ditz character in this, instead of the crazy New Yorker with access to a sporting goods store that he should have been/was in the first movie.

And with all those gripes. . . I Still loved it. The look of the turtles was fantastic! Even though I would have loved for them to have gone darker & more back to the roots with the movie, I think that's impossible at this point and I think they found kind of a happy medium between the dark badasses, & the cartoony clowns.

While there were jokes throughout the movie, they fit in a lot better than the first couple movies where they were very cheesy & punny.

Oh also, Fight scenes were fantastic and the cinematography was great too!

One more thing, I think this is the first movie I'ev ever seen where sais were used for their actual purpose of breaking swords, so major points for that.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    tumer-- dunno if this has been said or not yet, but this movie has very little to do with the previous movies or the old cartoon series-

I think its more based off the new revival cartoon series (and thus the original old E&L comics)..a lot of things, like the april, casey, leo+jungle etc. stuff, come from that. When they talk about shredder's death, they arent referring to the second movie, they're reffering the episode where shredder gets his head chopped off. It's a much more comic-booky, and less cartoony world.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    No I do recognize that, and appreciate it. I'm pretty sure Casey was still a psycho new yorker with a bat in the comics. Honsetly don't remember April very well so maybe she wasn't a reporter in the comics? Dunno. But I do know that these aren't following the old cartoon/movies.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    So how're the games?
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gba version rocks, kind of like the old arcade games with more moves, better animations. the console versions are way easy. made for kids really frown.gif but am still trying to enjoy it.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    saw the TMNT movie, animation was great, I really liked the art style. Story was a little dull but I still enjoyed it. The human faces looked kinda like Mr Incredible. If i had kids, I'm sure they would of enjoyed it too smile.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I finally got to see it! It was like a private viewing because no one else was in the small theater.

AWESOME. I loved it! Yea, Im a turtles fan. Even still, the animation was pretty good (especially Leo and Ralphs fight scene in the rain), and the film was just so damn fun.

Anyone play the full console/pc title yet?