Home Technical Talk

Have to use old version of Maya to mod game?

Hello,

I am very new to everything other than texture painting, but I have learned how to model things in Maya 7 at school. I had the intention as a summer project to create characters for a game called Age of Pirates made by Akella. However, I found out that appariently in order to mod the game - you have to use maya 4.5. I do not understand why this would be so. Why would a newer version not allow you to use it? I just thought that I would find out more information about it before I went through the trouble of actually modelling something for it, only to be disappointed that I can't use it.

I still do not know anything about rigging, or animating in maya yet, and I'm hoping to learn about it more during the summer - for now, though I'm not sure how yet- I figured that I would try to build my model around the skeleton that is used in game for all of the already existing in game animations. I guess also - if what I am thinking of doing is impossible for some reason - I was kind of hoping that somebody might be able to tell me so - once again to save myself disappointment later down the road.

thank you very, very much for your time, and help!

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    My guess would be that they wrote the tools that export the maya data into their game engine for maya 4.5. Therefore, they're not going to work with a later version.

However, that's all moot, and probably bogus info, since the game has yet to actually even be released:

http://www.akella.com/en/development/

It looks to me that it was a pc title that got turned into a 360 title at some point in its life, which will make modding highly unlikely. I think it's evolved into this game, still in development:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/captainblood/index.html?q=age%20of%20pirates
  • Kaivai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha - nope

It was definately released. It's confusing because they for some reason have two different games with Age of Pirates in the title. Captain Blood has yet to be released, but Age of Pirates is out - I bought it. smile.gif

Thank you very much for the reply! I guess I'm going to have to track down maya 4.5 somehow... I wonder if they had a demo for that. Actually, though unlikely, maybe since maya is to 7 or 8 now, 4.5 would be cheap - it would be great to have my own copy... Sorry - thinking out loud. Thank you very much!