Home Technical Talk

(3Ds Max 8) Morph modifier issue - mesh moves?

Jesster
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesster polycounter lvl 17
Hey All,

When I go to add a "Create Morph Target" to my face mesh; the face mesh moves to the left on screen when I move the spinner from 0 to 100. The mesh is deforming correctly but it is just moving. What am I missing here to cause the Mesh to move to the left?
If I do a "Load Multiple Targets..." the 1st target gets doubled. If I use the spinner on the 1st of the doubled Targets it works correctly but the 2nd Target has the moving to the left issue and all the rest after that one.

I tried adding a "Reset xForm" When I do this and move the Morph spinner to 100; it now moves backwards.

(Thinking out loud here) I maybe off here but some how it is saving the position of the Mesh I am targeting. But then why is it working when I do a "Load Multiple Targets..." on the 1st target that gets doubled then?

Thanks for your help on this smile.gif

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    strange....make sure you reset transforms on all the targets too...as well as the base mesh...collapse the reset xform into the stack, then add the morpher modifier, then reload all your targets
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I've had this a lot in max 9 too. Spinning the morph moves the source object.

I always manage to fix it, but I'm not sure how.

Let me think on it.

I'm sure it was something to do with the order in which I cloned the source mesh and set up the morphs.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could be different pivots?

Morph targets use their pivot position & orientation as the center of the morph transformation. You might want to make sure they all share the same pivot location/rotation, then Reset Xform to "bake" the pivots.

If you have a short character morphing to a tall character, and you put both pivots at the bottom of the feet, then the character will grow properly from the floor upwards... but if you put the pivots at their waistlines then the feet will morph down through the floor.
  • danskimanuk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

Im having a similar problem. When I 'up' the spinner value on the morpher modifier, I get my morph but my mesh also moves in a strange way.

I understand that the pivot location may be different for each mesh and that is what is causing the problem, but as a relative noobie to max i dont know exactly how to ensure that both meshes have the same pivot in terms of setting the pivot points? Can anyone give a quick howto on this, and how I can incorporate the xform modifier to ensure the set pivots remain?

many thanks
    Dmanuk
  • freddyatlantis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    freddyatlantis polycounter lvl 4
    im not quite sure yet why this happens, but here is what you need to do.
    first select your target mesh and using alt+A align the target mesh to the original mesh in the x,y, and z positions and orientation. then select the target mesh, turn off the skin modifier (as well as any other modifiers that you have in the stack), go to the hierarchy panel and select "affect object only", then "center to pivot". that should do it.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    I just had the same problem and found a solution. ( I think :D )

Do NOT apply a XForm modifier to neither of your target or original meshes... This causes them to move to their object positions. Not pivot positions.

I hope that helps someone. It took a good 1 hour for me to pick that up by trial and errror.
  • ahmedsafaxp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try deleting the morpher targets, delete morpher from the actual character and add it again , place it under the skin layer and then import the morph targets and assign them.