Home General Discussion

Monitors Wide or not?

Hello, I am quite new here but I like this community, you are doing a great job guys (and girls off course)! Now I have a question, I am about to buy (a) new monitor(s). What do you guys suggest for using it for modeling and texturing? 2 smaller is better than 1 bigger? What about wide? Lots of 22" are wide and just as expensive as 20" normal.

Replies

• TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    The dimensions of your monitor really don't matter. The more pixels you can have on screen, the more of your texture you can see at any point, but you're going to be zooming in and out anyway.

Dual monitors can be useful if you like to keep all of your tool palettes on the second screen, but aren't significantly better than a single widescreen. Personally, I just switched from a pair of 17" 4:3 monitors to a single 23" widescreen and am plenty happy with the result.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    At work: Two 19" 4:3 CRT monitors. YUCK!

At home: One Dell 24-inch widescreen. AWESOME!
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    At work: Two 19" 4:3 CRT monitors. YUCK!

At home: One Dell 24-inch widescreen. AWESOME!

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, another Dell 24 inch at work (unfortunately), it's brilliant! Far better then the two 19 inch ones I used to have.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Widescreen rules - BUT I think two are better than one - they can go in different positions, and often fit onto a desk better.

mind you, they are a bastard to calibrate. I use one for photoshop and one for max.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Ohh man 24" ! I have a 19" samsung wide screen and it seems huge to me I can't imagine 5 more inched im jealous ! Defiantly go for a wide screen you'll love it
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I <3 my widescreen.
  • Nogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I prefer two monitors together because I usually end up working in two seperate programs and I like seeing both open at the same time. That's when I'm working, however.

If you plan on playing games too, you might just want the one widescreen.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    You can always disable the second screen while playing games. I used to have a dual setup at home and the second monitor never interfered while playing games, unless the game was in windowed display or there's a cursor. But it's best to disable it while in games so as not to reduce your framerate.
    Working on getting rid of my 19" wide and getting a dual 22" wide setup.

-caseyjones
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I've had dual 20"s, 1 widescreen 20", 1 widescreen 24", 1 30" widscreen, and a few variations on those in dual setups (30" widescreen + 20" 4x3 dual for example).

I'd pick widescreen 9/10 times. Widescreen is just so much nicer. Especially anytime you are using a timeline which I do on a daily basis. There are few occasions where I wish I had duals, but never enough for me to want to trade in.

24" widescreen is the perfect size imho, and it's what I use now. I've had a 30", and it's nice to show off with, but it's just way too big. It's like staring into the sun.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    2 monitors is best, 1 for the work, 2 for the reference ( or in my case as I'm a modelling, for the layer manager and materials tab as well as reference).

That said, widescreen is great as theny ou can expand the toolbar on the right in max so it has everything displayed and still have more 2d real estate for the actual work too.

I have a 24inch widescreen lcd and 24 inch regular crt at work. At home I have a 30inch wide lcd and 24 inch crt.

r.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are the CRTs as a second monitor by choice Ror? Or just coincidence?

-caseyjones
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    20" wide main screen and 19" second screen here
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    22" wide main LCD and 19" CRT..
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks for all the replies! I think for me cost-wise it's best to go with dual 22" wide, you just get more screen real estate with less money than on a 24". Going to sift through some review now to see which one i should take. I found many are TN-panels, i had one 20" TN-panel before and it was horrible, because when ever you move your head it all changes and there is like 30% brightness difference across the screen. Do you know any IPS or MVA panels 22" wide that don't have this? Or are some TN-panels better than other, and did i just have a bad one?
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, definitely wide. Even with only one it's like having two when it comes to 2d/3d apps. You can have most of your tools off on the right side of the screen, then it's like you still have a full screen for all else. I'm thinking of getting one more widescreen for home. Even numbers scare me.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    2nd crt is by choice, its helpful to be able to also judge how the work appears on crt as lcd changes the colour and sharpness a lot from crt and more people have crt.

r.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Duh. The proper answer is dual widescreens. At work I've got one of those bad-ass widescreen dells, with a standard one beside it (both LCDs). Lots of desktop space!
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    I use 17" widescreeeen on the laptop plus the 21 for the cintiq, I do all work on cintiq tho, max, ps , bodypaint.
    and a third ,crt, for ref\movie\dl and color thingy, like ror said.
    hehe.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    22" wide main LCD and 19" CRT

[/ QUOTE ]
    Same here.
    Photoshop on the CRT with the pallets extended off to the main widescreen. Max on the Widescreen with its floating pallets extended onto the CRT. When you switch apps the pallets for the other hide behind the current app. Max is on the wide because color doesn't matter as much and extending the right side tool pallet one row is VERY nice.

I'm also left handed so my tablet sits to the left of my keyboard, right under the CRT monitor. Mouse in the standard position to the right of the keyboard. The computer lab nazis always freaked out when I started moving mice around so I learned to be a righty mouser like everyone else.

At home I just have two 19" CRT's. I don't spend that much time at that computer so I haven't seen it fit to upgrade to a widescreen.
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    21"trinitron and a 17"lcd to the left of it. I work on the crt and have all the rest on the lcd (application pannels, winamp, my tv (dscaler)).
    And don't forget a decent multimonitor app; I find UltraMon is worth the money...one hotkey and your mouse cursor is on the other monitor. Things like that are really convenient.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I have a 24" widescreen and a 19" regular lcd monitor at work. Widescreen LCD monitors are awesome you should definitely have a widescreen. I have a 24" widescreen at home and I want to get a 19" lcd to have the same dual screen setup at work, and I'd say having one widescreen and one regular is great unless you want to go overkill and get two widescreens. Having the second monitor is awesome for having reference images up and/or panels and tools from the program you're using.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys convinced me that wide is good, I was a bit reluctant at first going with wide but now I'm going to try. At this time the 22" wides are priced about the same as 20" wide, but the 22" have these nasty TN-panels I'm absolutely allergic to, so I guess I'll just have to wait a bit.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    double wide baby
    primeDesk.jpg
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that dell the 24" inch one?
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    yup, the 2405, i think it looks smaller than it is because that optimus prime toy is actually about 12" tall
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks wicked, but way too expensive for me frown.gif
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    24" Dell and 19" here.
    Wide screen is great, secondary I use for misc crap like forums, reference and emails etc.
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    All I got is an old 19" crt. frown.gif
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also looking to buy a new wacom, now having a small volito A6. So I'd like to sync them to the new screens I'm going to buy. Only thing is there is no wacom wide for A4, A5 wide seems a little small and a3 wide seems a little big. Does dual wide work pleasantly or is that like too much? It seems like two normals is already really wide combined.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    All I got is an old 19" crt. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

join the club frown.gif
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also looking to buy a new wacom, now having a small volito A6. So I'd like to sync them to the new screens I'm going to buy. Only thing is there is no wacom wide for A4, A5 wide seems a little small and a3 wide seems a little big. Does dual wide work pleasantly or is that like too much? It seems like two normals is already really wide combined.

[/ QUOTE ]

matter of taste, i guess. 2 monitors and one tablet feels awkward to me. you could buy an A4 and restrict the active surface to match the overal aspect ratio of your combined screens. not sure if an A5 wide is bigger than that?

or, you could restrict your tablet to one screen at a time and switch via utility/hotkey between them.

i prefer it simple - one screen only. and at work, all i have the second one for is to dump outlook, reference material and some rarely used ps palettes onto it. oh, and an episode of "24" or whatever floats around at the time. wink.gif
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    21" Cintiq as my primary and a LCD as my secondary.

- BoBo
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I use a 19" crt at home - for painting stuff since the colour repro is more reliable. Work is 2x dell 24" flat widescreens (where the colour isn't as high priority). Avid uses all of that real-estate, especially working with HD source material..

work_desk_th.jpg
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good lord, two 24" wides:P Lucky you:)!
    I will have to check in a store how the 22" inch TN-panels look, else I'm going with 20" either wide or normal.
    Anyone has any experience with wacom A5 wide, A4, or A3 wide?
  • Rhydian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went from an old and busted, embarassing 17inch CRT to Samsung's 22 inch wide with a 5ms refresh.

1680x1050 I believe.

It's like a whole new computer. I shrugged off the monitor for so long just because it didn't seem like a priority. I can't even imagine how I put up with that old hunk of crap.

Wide is awesome for modelling, but there is a really nice Samsung that does 1600x1280 with 1000:1 contrast and 2ms response and it's like 300 bucks at best buy. THAT monitor would be really slick for doing art and is the only monitor on the market that ISN'T wide that's even worth considering in my opinion.

(I don't work for Samsung or anything, but I'm really impressed. The housing is somewhat cheap, but they make up for it with the screen.)
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you happen to know the type of that samsung?
    I have seen and worked with samsungs before, for me it's a nono-brand, only the most crap TN-panels with 10 degrees viewing angle, that's right, even sitting exactly in the middle and not moving your head is bad already.

Perhaps you mean this one: http://www.behardware.com/articles/654-1/xl20-samsung-s-1rst-lcd-led.html
    that does look quite good, but isn't close to the 300 bucks.

I am inclined to go with two 22" but man look at the viewing angles
    http://www.behardware.com/articles/647-5...-2-to-5-ms.html

I'm digging the IPS ones, the dell and LG ones, dell because it's good colour rendering and good ergonomics, and LG because it's a lot cheaper, though the colours being off is a bad thing.
    http://www.behardware.com/articles/619-17/updated-survey-13-lcd-20-5-6-8-16-ms.html
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i have 2 monitors...i love it. i have both of them set vertically as well. it's like reading a book. ha. plus, when working on characters....2d or 3d...it's easier to see the whole char.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just ordered a 2407WFP 24" UltraSharp widescreen from Dell... Getting a second one once I put more money aside. Now I'm poor frown.gif

-caseyjones
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Just ordered a 2407WFP 24" UltraSharp widescreen from Dell...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Dell once in a while drastically lowers the price for its screens - next time they do that I'll get myself a 2407WFP too. smile.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    To back up the comments on the Samsung, I just bought one of these: http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Digital/LS19MEDSFXAA.asp
    at Best Buy (ugh) for 260$. It's nice and bright and has a 2000:1 contrast with 2ms response. It is far beyond even the CRT I was using and I recommend it highly if you are on a budget and don't mind not using widescreen.

//Edit - Oooops! Wrong link. Corrected.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I've thought about a wide monitor, but doesn't that make everything wider and squatter looking, and not give an accurate picture of what you're doing?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've thought about a wide monitor, but doesn't that make everything wider and squatter looking, and not give an accurate picture of what you're doing?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Widescreen monitors don't display in 4:3 aspect ratio like CRT monitors, so you won't get any squashing. Their display is at 16:9 or 16:10.
    It will only look squashed if you set the desktop res to a 4:3 resolution (ie. 800X600, 1280X1024, etc). But if you use the native resolution of the monitor (my current one is 1440X900) it will be fine. Just means you have to scroll down more :P
    That probably didn't make any sense laugh.gif

-caseyjones
  • Rhydian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^ He just nailed it, 2000:1, I didn't remember that clearly but it looks right.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/12/30/samsungs-new-2ms-lcd-displays/
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    If I wasn't spending so damn much money on twin turbo soarers I would have waited out for the Samsung 275T (27" @1920x1200) with the CCFL backlighting. I just bought a Samsung 215TW the other day and it's hotter than co-occupying a confined space with Scarlett Johansson. Seriously it's that good.