Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gatling plasma gun wip

C&C very much welcome.
Just started this yesterday, this is my high poly wip @18000 tri's. concept by Justin Adri www.justinadri.com

concept.jpg

shots.jpg

This piece is going into my pitchbook for a UT3 mod.

I also wanna say this is my first gun I've attempted. Any tips when it comes to guns would be helpful.

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    gatling guns aren't as fun to use if you dont' expose the barrels much in first person view frown.gif
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome design, nice lines/curves, it would be good to see how it's carried by a player model, I cant realy get my head around how it would be mounted because it apears symetrical.
    looks like a mean gun though smile.gif
  • multivac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does that curved support go on you head or what?:D
    Nice work,though with that tank it reminds me more of some rocket motorcycle than a gun;)
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    Neat concept, though its kinda hard to see how it works.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    stick a player model in there
  • systmh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tell the concept man that i love the idea of incorporating the motorcycle gas tank and what seems to be part of the frame too smile.gif
    if you're going highpoly for normal maps, i'd definitely model in the little panel lines on the tank and the cowling around the barrels, as well as the little bumpies on the grip and shoulder rest, etc.. either that or add them to the normals later with photoshop. i also agree with cheapalert... you oughta stretch the barrels out so the player can see them rotating or something to that effect.
    i think the purpose of the shoulder rest is quite clear, it rests on the shoulder and the part at the very back cradles the triceps area of the arm and then the elbow, right? it would be cool to throw it on a player model just to mock it up though. i think it'll make a cool gun.
  • Savage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice guys, the concept artist has some skills eh? He's another student I go to school with, and I think he got the idea for the motorcycle inspired bit because I asked him to do the concept for me and I ride a Suzuki SV650s.

I'll post up another wip shot tomorrow afternoon to show progress.

Also for a nextgen FPS gun, any idea's on polycount? I was thinking 3000-ish?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    As low as it will still look good with the normalmap tongue.gif
    Sorry, but that really depends on the particular engine and gametype.

Anyways, concerning the model you posted: It really is too low poly to be a mesh to calculated the normalmap from, but 18.000 polys seems to be a little excessive even for a UE3 game if it is a ingame model.
  • allyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    It certainly is a cool concept and I like the way it looks, but I would probably agree about the lack of interet from a first person view with the short barrel unless you can do something else to give it a similar rotating effect.
    I may have to try something with a similar design on my own things.
    Thanks for the inspiration smile.gif