I just bought this

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
421791522_71283a3077.jpg

sony bravia 40" KDL40V2500

Why?
1080p

I am now officially poor for the rest of time.

I wonder how shite a Wii will look on this.

(I must say, it actually looked bigger in the store, which is the opposite to what people say)

Replies

• animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    the Wii will lok like shite. i just bought a 42" a few weeks ago and the will looked like ass, the 360 looked great though. granted, I did not have the compnent cables for the Wii and I did for the 360 and PS2.
    It feels good to buy a big tv doesnt it smile.gif
    I had a 19" for like 6 years
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, that's nice. Who needs money when you have a sexy tv like that?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, we have one like that, but it's 720p I think. Really gorgeous picture though, XBox360 is super crispy.
  • da_milkman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    da_milkman polycounter lvl 18
    Great choice! I love mine. Blu-ray movies are incredible on this set.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    My 52" Bravia arrives tomorrow. laugh.gif

Frank the Avenger
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    after going with a 720p native (supports 1080p though) projector being used at 90 inch's currently, i don't think i could ever go back to a tv smaller than 60 inch's.
    but yeah, i don't think the wii will look good considering its standard def, 480 upscaled to 1080i/p is going to be ugly, it may look semi-ok if the wii does progressive (anyone know if it does?). but the 360, ps3, hd-dvd/blu-ray should look sweet.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't the wii only have a 480i output?

Nice purchase, I just don't think your wii is going to look as good as you're hoping. That is unless Sony puts an upconverting circuit in their tuner. Some manufacturers do that.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    *ahem*

Nice TV, Hawken. I bought my new set last May, before the second gen XBRs were released, so I have to slum it with 1080i

About the Wii, I can't imagine it not supporting progressive scan. Even the GameCube had progressive output options (think you had to hold/press the B button on load or some such, been a while.)
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    They're hard to find, but they make a fuck-ton of difference. Gamespot did a comparison of Wii standard video vs. the component cables. Takes a little long to load, but the difference is quite severe.

Wii Standard vs. Component
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    cool hawken. you're set for the future man.
    I bought an EDTV 2 years ago. I'm dope like that.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    took me about 2 weeks to finally decide on buying the 32" bravia, when I got to the shop, this bad boy was on sale so I made a compulsive purchase on the 40". I was going to be content with 720p and 1080i on a smaller screen.

Very happy but shit my pants every time I check my bank balance.

Will have to check out this component thing for Wii. Don't actually have a Wii but plan to buy one when mario comes out. I got a VGA cable for my dreamcast, hopefully that will make a slight difference for me, desperately hoping it doesn't suck too much, DC is my religion.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a composite output hack for the Atari 7800 and have it connected to my 46" Sharp Aquos. It's not perfect, but it still looks pretty good considering what it was designed for. I'm sure the dreamcast will still look good enough.

Do you have HD transmissions in your area? (Over the air, or through cable/satellite) If so, you'll see the difference between the 1080 content and the lower content like the Dreamcast and the Wii. That's when the quality on the lower resolutions gets disappointing.
  • Bort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bort polycounter lvl 18
    Despite the Wii composite being the best damn composite picture mankind has ever seen thanks to Nintendo including the DAC from the GC's component/D-Terminal cables inside the Wii, it's not at all comparable to a component picture as Uly's link shows.

With either a component or D-Terminal cable which your JPN tele should support you'll get a decent picture from your future Wii.

Just to confirm, the Wii does support 480p output on nearly all games. Just check the back of the game box or google.

Also your DC should look very nice through VGA as 1024*768 is a supported resolution on your tele.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Wait, I thought everyone in Japan had rectangle tv's since the 80's? I've noticed the ps2 actually looks worse at 480p, it's super jaggy and there is this weird cross hatch effect on all the textures I actually prefer the upscale since it blurs the edges, FFXII looks really nice upscaled on my 37" Sharp Aquous something I noticed recently is a lot of dvd's I've rented are encoded at 480p so they fill the full screen without any stretching which is nifty.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Do you have HD transmissions in your area? (Over the air, or through cable/satellite)

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the set up and running this morning and sat in front of it for about 5 hours not moving a muscle.

Japan is surprisingly late on joining the digital broadcast revolution, some 5 years after the UK started digital broadcasts. The upside to this is that all digital TV is broadcast in HD. There was some law passed that made all the TV stations use 720p / 1080i cameras and broadcast equipment.

In short, all the TV stations are in 720p!

I am thinking about getting cable now... seems worth it.

I'll post some shots later but so far I've tested all my consoles on the TV. The S-Video SNES came out the best, the dreamcast and NES are AV... pretty sucky! I hope the postman delivers my VGA cable soon!!

S-Video appears to be really accurate, giant pixels but no blurring, which is what I wanted. Time to break out some SNES games wink.gif
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Wii also does widescreen 480p with component cables, so those are a must for all the extra pixels!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    right on, good buy! I have pretty much the same screen, a KVL40S200A, just feet away from my face, plugged into my computer. It's fuckin awesome.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've got a bravia at work, i dont know the model, might be one of the lower end ones... I dont see what the big fuss with it is, the quality isnt any better than the Samsung my roomate has, if anything its worse, and more expensive.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it was on sale?

seriously, it was the cheapest in the store, and I got a discount.

actually my photos of it suck, so one day I'll show it off but not now.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for the question but:

"component" is the same as "s-Video"?

"composite" is the same as "AV"?

getting a bit confusing, in the states do you call it component?

If so, the component cable has been around since the SNES came out.
  • Bort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bort polycounter lvl 18
    composite is the yellow (video), red and white (left/right audio). This is the worst connection apart from RF.

S-video is the 5 pin connector (video) and you might get red/white (audio) leads on the same cable. Better than composite but not fantastic.

RGB scart (not the same as a basic scart cable. Only 9 of the pins need to be present for the lead to be RGB. If all are wired the cable will be able to pass composite, s-video and RGB signals as well.) is the best connector for standard tv's. The cable also carries audio.
    RGB scart is mainly only used in PAL lands and the JPN/US Wii's don't suppord RGB ;( )

Component has red, green and blue cable. (you might get red/white audio on the cable as well.) It will carry an interlaced or progressive signal. You should always use a component cable if the device you are using supports it and can't output over a digital cable (dvi, hdmi).

D-Terminal (only available in japan) is the same as a component cable but all the cables are combined into one single cable.

Depending on your tele vga might look better than component. Just try both and stick with the one you prefer.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    sorry for the question but:

"component" is the same as "s-Video"?

"composite" is the same as "AV"?

getting a bit confusing, in the states do you call it component?

If so, the component cable has been around since the SNES came out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    composite is the most basic type of signal, it is used in those channels you cna get over the air or through the composite yellow cable. composite was originally made to allow transmission of the signal using low video bandwidth. all color and luminance is compressed into one signal. however when the tv seperates and uses the signal, info is lost and you get a lower quality image.
    s-video seperates the color and the luminance into two seperate signals, gives sharper picture than composute.
    component sends the red and blue signal seperatly, then luminance is carried in the green able. the actual green color is inferred using the other two colors.
    component is the best of the analog signsl, but hdmi is currently the best signal at all to use.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I wish the U.S would step up more on the HD bandwagon as well. I think the entire country has like 20 HD channels, or something sad like that. It's nearly 2010 for christs sake, every channel should be mandatory HD, at least 720p.

I bought a Sony KDS-50A2000 a few months ago, and I love that. Not as crisp an image as LCD/CRT, but worth it. Larger screen size and pretty cheap.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    it was on sale?

seriously, it was the cheapest in the store, and I got a discount.

actually my photos of it suck, so one day I'll show it off but not now.

[/ QUOTE ]

aha, good deal then.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My bravia has no component ports and obviously no scart either.

It does have 2 of something called mini D-sub though.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I scored 2 in my new job (they're on the floor in the middle):

http://www.gmanx.com/album/IOM_News/DSC00298.JPG

I'm producing online news video for our local newspaper. I'll be checking them out pretty soon..
  • Bort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bort polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My bravia has no component ports and obviously no scart either.

It does have 2 of something called mini D-sub though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scart is/was a japanese standard as well. But it is wired up differently.

If the connectors have screw holes next to them they are vga.
    If the connectors have slits for a connector to be clipped on then they are D-Terminal. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Terminal
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats the fucker, it's got 2.

hmm, they are D4 though, that means 720p on a 1080p TV. bah. Apparently they are for connecting component cables.

Gmanx, what size are those? Mine doesn't have the side ports.

I tried to take a photo of my TV but because it is made from dark matter, the camera couldn't focus properly.

421791614_af67c84a2a.jpg

421791579_680be1de82.jpg

421791465_135c38b1fe.jpg

ironic eh? taking photos of a 1080p tv with a camera set to 768p
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    It... Looks like a Trapezoid in that photo... Weird.

Very nice. Beats my no TV setup hands down.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Hah nice one hawken. Bought mine a few months back, and very happy with the purchase I am too. The only thing close to the picture quality was the equivalent Samsung.

tv.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notice you kept your 1080 sticker on smile.gif

any chance of a "back" shot of this beauty? Interested to see how it differs. Apparently my japanese remote is different too, it's the old sony black brick design
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Nice setups guys..

I don't know what size/model mine are yet.. The office is currently being wired, so I can't get in.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needs more flare effect! wink.gif

It's got a good selection of ports. HDMI and RGB are where it's at laugh.gif I hacked an old CD changer into a computer case and made a mediaPC. I use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect to the TV because my TV didn't come with an RGB port. Looks just as good, but it would be nice to have that dedicated port.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    notice you kept your 1080 sticker on smile.gif

any chance of a "back" shot of this beauty? Interested to see how it differs. Apparently my japanese remote is different too, it's the old sony black brick design

[/ QUOTE ]

Taken it off since then! It looked kinda cheap.

Not the best quality sorry.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hell just froze over

426544978_b3eab44c2e.jpg

1080p ridge racer is nice, the $40 HDMI cable wasn't
  • Bort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bort polycounter lvl 18
    At least you only had to pay the Yen price for the PS3.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just for reference, get all future HDMI cables on Ebay smile.gif
    I don't know how much the PS3 cables go for on there though. They may not have the same savings.

So you going to be getting the Wii still? I think the resolution is the only thing saving the PS3 to be honest.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I want a front shot of that female ps3 player. And what's the purpose of these 3 steel balls? Naughty Justin!

Back on subject - anyone knows of a nice 720p projector? Around the 1000USD mark? With component, hdmi and vga inputs (+ the classic composite). I sortof like the idea of an 'immaterial' TV...

Congrats on the purchase Hawken btw!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior, try scanning around the AVS Forums. They have some pretty good reviews there on different projectors. I'm pretty confident you can find one under a grand. They've been dropping a lot lately. http://www.avsforum.com/

Also, once you decide on a model, you may want to check CompUSA if you have one near you. They are closing half their stores and they have LCDs and Projectors pretty cheap right now (in store only).
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can't go wrong with the hd1000, or the hd70, both good projectors.
    and yes, avsforums are excellent forums for info. i'm going there when i start building my handmade subwoofer and enclosure.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I want a front shot of that female ps3 player.

[/ QUOTE ]

no can do, shes my friend from EA