Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

web syte Critequ

http://www.3dandmore.com/
Wanted to post my site and get some feedback on what I can do to improve it. For the past 2 years I have been doing Computer based training so there is a lot of industrial stuff. Before that I was doing digital FX and Charter Animation so there is some of that as well.

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Bigger thumbnails!

BIGGER!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i think a title other than "New Page 1" would be a nice change.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Rick. Make your artwork smack people in the face as soon as they open your website. Make them easy to see, or better yet, don't use them at all. Scale your images down to half size or so, and turn them into a link that will show the full-size.

If your page doesn't catch someone's eye in the first few seconds of viewing, chances are, they'll just lose interest and bugger off.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    just put all your images in there in a list, instead of thumbnails

think about how YOU read websites and what you would rather see. Like scrolling threads in pimping and previews.
  • fweezah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fweezah polycounter lvl 11
    you have a lot of pages with not a lot of content. You can put all your 3d work on one page, and separate it by category. I think it will be more impressive.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Agreed with all of the above, bigger thumbnails and simple navigation would help a lot. I think it's a lot easier to look at portfolio websites with simple/fewer links/pages, i.e. 2D, 3D, resume. I'm not sure what sort of job you are looking for after looking at your website, the first thing that's up are a few thumbnails of fine art pieces. If you're looking for a 3D job, the 3D should be first.

Also, when you do get to the work itself, the images are very small, it's hard to tell what is going on, and there aren't any wireframes, un-textured models,polycounts, or texture flats. Also, something pretty nit-picky, when you click on the environments section, you spelled the word "environments" wrong in your directory, like " http://www.3dandmore.com/enviorments .html" It's a small mistake, but every little bit helps. Take a second pass at the webpage and also if you haven't read the "Your Portfolio Repels Jobs" article in the Archives section here, you should check that out, helps a lot. Keep at it, and post some updates! smile.gif
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the large title banner would be more effective if you loose the bright coloured "portfolio of Jonathan M Edwards" part and just had the logo. It steals from the professionalism of the site. Try perhaps having your "portfolio of Jonathan M Edwards" text just below the logo or just on the right of it.

In fact it may just be the bright colours that remind me of clothes washing adverts behind the "portfolio of Jonathan M Edwards" text which make it look a little cheap in comparison to the rest of the site...which is pretty neat and stylish
  • mikael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikael polycounter lvl 12
    add a title for the page.
    <title>3D and more</title>
    and of course bigger thumbnails.
  • JonEdwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally had time to update my site. Thanks for all the great suggestions, it looks a lot better. Any more suggestions are welcome; there is always room for improvement.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    yeah? looks about 10% better.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    It's a strange site - it looks like time and effort was put into a nice banner, then the rest it just a bunch of images. Stylistically, it doesn't gel for me.

I'd say it's a little wide, but I always say that. But it's a little too wide for my default browser size - so I had to widen it. Except all the content was on screen, it just had an ugly horizontal scroll bar. I just had to widen it to get the head to fit.

The header just stops. Yup. I widen it, and it has a hard line from black to white. Just set the background image of the side to be the black bar, so that it repeats horizontally.

The thumbnails are a better size, but some of the images they lead to are very small.

For my sake, check your spelling. Desert. Diagram.

Have a look at rewriting your CV - it's very hard to read in the current layout. The use of underlining and capitals seems the wrong way round, and you could vary your text sizes. The text seems to randomly jump around the page with no respect for margins or justification.

Make it readable.