Home General Discussion

skate game play footage finally.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
I can't wait to get this game I purchased an xbox360 just so I can play this when it ships.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?type=wmv&id=17381

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Hmmm I have never even heard of this. Looks like EA might be trying to steal the Tony Hawk franchise. Innovation at it's finest.
  • Uly
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    I was actually surprised of its level of quality vs. Tony Hawk. Looks like a much, and I mean much more realistic take on skateboarding, not that unrealistic is bad, but change is good. Game looks nice, and for a skateboarding game, the animation is actually quite good, though there are a few hiccups.

EA has been behaving... Oddly lately. |: | Somethings up. First Army of Two, then Battlefield: Bad Company, and now SKATE? It's almost like buying all that Ubisoft stock made them realize trying out something new once in a while can make profit, and not have the online community lash out.

: D I liek fun looking gemz.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    why not just buy a skateboard, and get off ya fat ass and go outside! kids today! i swear
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Lol. I always thought the same thing about tennis games, street basketball games, etc. I'd just personally rather go and do the real thing. If I'm playing a game, I prefer an escape from reality where I can do stuff that I can't do in real life.

As a shooter fan, I always chuckled when people got all excited about how realistic a game was. So, I'm supposed to sit in the back of an armored vehicle for several hours sweating my ass off, and when I finally hop out I get shot in the leg, and need to spend the next 2 weeks in the hospital? That sounds like a fun game.

Give me Crackdown any day. Let me jump of of buildings and blow stuff up.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    malcolm, game looks tight. The camera was a bit twitchy but otherwise was dooope.
  • Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    This looks like my dream skate game. When i'm playing a tony hawk game I'm always just trying to pull off little realistic tricks like this smile.gif, but it's kindoff hard when your character can ollie 8 feet high.

Anyone remember that thrasher game on ps1? This reminded me alot of that.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    According to gamespot it's controlled by the left/right analog stick combo Fight Night used, with a/b to propel and brake your skateboard. Seems novel, but potentially really annoying.
  • IronHawk
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Tony hawk is fun for pulling off insane tricks that could never really done. Although I do spend time myself trying small tricks that would be real. Skate the same rail for an hour seeing how many tricks I can nail.

Skate games are great for when your feeling worked and just want to relax!

I am also looking forward to UTK2007 for the boards. Did a onslaught map/mod awhile back with modded scorps and benders. Found the vehicle physics were perfect for monster quarter pipes and bowl runs. Still have the displacement map waiting for the new game. The skate park in the megapack was lame ONS_tricky. None of the kickers had landings with transitions.
  • Jay Evans
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    I love the look of this game. That low "skate vid" camera makes a huge difference. nice to see realistic speeds and tricks since tony hawk is now some sort of ridiculous flying\board flipping\gymnastics\combo making, game
  • erik!
    See, I'm all about going out and doing the real thing, I.E. playing soccer or tennis (I love soccer). However, I've tried skateboarding and I never really got anywhere with it. Couldn't even land a kickflip. On the same note, I'd rather grind some crazy rail in a game then potentially break my nuts on a real rail.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Groovy, I've gotten a bit tired of Tony Hawk, it's been the same game for so long with just minor additions to the controls.
  • Cthogua
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    EA has been behaving... Oddly lately. |: | Somethings up. First Army of Two, then Battlefield: Bad Company, and now SKATE? It's almost like buying all that Ubisoft stock made them realize trying out something new once in a while can make profit, and not have the online community lash out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read something online recently that said that after a reviewing some sort of company wide happiness survey it found that people were happier working on original IP rather than the millionth iteration of Madden or whatever. Big surprise eh? The real surprise is that they seem to be trying to do something about that by launching several new franchises in 07. Nice try at sounding like you care EA, I think the real reason is the lisenced stuff just isn't making the money they want to see from it, and the biggest winners recently have been original IP/new franchises. So I think they're just switching strategies and tacking on a nice "we're employee friendly!" face to it.
  • SuperOstrich
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    I think the game looks great. I'm looking forward to playing it. So far there's some really nice stuff to see. Kinda hard to really get a feel for what the game is all about in such a short video though.

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't wait to get this game I purchased an xbox360 just so I can play this when it ships.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, Malcolm. Don't you work for the EA studio making it??
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Yeah man I work at ea blackbox but on another team and we are currently off site due to space restrictions downtown, we just finished nba street homecourt. Some of my good friends from the ssx team are working on skate so I've been able to play a few different builds. The game is fucking awesome hence I bought a 360 in anticipation of its arrival. Looks like ign had some hands on with it if anyone is interested in a more in depth description of the game.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/769/769422p1.html
  • indian_boy
    honestly, i think this game is gonna rock... since i skate myself, i feel an accurate portrayal of the sport (the art) should exist in the video-game land...
    the "button mash + analogue turn" to do a huge combo in Tony Hawk's is getting boring, this realism is welcome! i want my thumb aching after i land my first 360 flip!
    and i wonder what type of creativity we could use? late flips, and newer tricks like "shuv-it late flips" would be difficult, but all the more fun to accomplish. damn, im drooling as i think of all this stuff.....

btw: i felt that after the whole "nail-the-trick" thing from THP8, this was the next step (having the analogue stick control all tricks). And i also felt that it would be EA to do this (given the trick stick for FIFA/NBA street and all). strange, no?
  • xysdf
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 17
    whuuhaa.. this looks like a great skate game to me smile.gif
    I also skate myself & need to say, just like indian_boy said, that it looks like it totally gets the feel of the real along.

I dont know how non-skaters will like the lack of performing 3 indy mctwist/whatever 1260° with landing a darkslide on 3kinked rail..... but I smell a totally great game-time filler for day´s&day´s with this new game.
    One thing that i missed in THPS was something like longer motivation for doing free skating&performing tricks. it got so bored after a while, because of the overexposing of everything... THPS for me just ended up trying to reach the level goals.

maybe this game can give me more of things like: just skating aroung & just doing some cool tricks; feed my mood, feel the game..., just how I prefer to do in real.
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me of trasher skateboarding, which was extrem difficult and realistic. I just liked it frown.gif
  • beancube
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    looks great, the level design seems much more of a reality, alot more open areas and not everything is a quarterpipe.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I don't skateboard, so I can see where this might not appeal to me, but... it looks a little slow. Realism is good and all, but not at the sacrifice of fun. Will wait until I can get my hands on it to pass final judgment.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    im pumped, this look sick.

anyone know if there are ramp mechanics too? lip tricks? mmmmmm, i'm really wondering how flexible the tricks are.

im pumped, whatever it is smile.gif when does this come out?

there better be a "s-k-a-t-e" game mode smile.gif
  • IronHawk