Home General Discussion

Nintendo Wii

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Showster polycounter lvl 18
I finally managed to grab a wii after months of adventuring, battling demons and rensacking throughout the UK.

With Zelda in the bag, any Wii gamers in here recommend any other decent titles out or coming up?

And does anybody know anything about Wii SDK's?

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Red steel for its outstanding plot, voice acting and animation , weapon textures and physics ( [/not true])

I grabbed gamecube titles, suich as resident evil 4, 1 ( remake ) eternal darkness and wind waker..might be enough for 6 months smile.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Wii Play is pretty fun, but only worth the $49.99 USD price tag if you are looking to pick up a second Wiimote.

Other than that, some titles that should be out fairly soon that I am looking forward to:
    - 3/13 Tiger Woods Golf
    - 3/20 PoP
    - 4/23 Mortal Kombat

Not sure if those release dates are the same for the UK :-/
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm looking forward to Wing Island coming out next month. I like the style and it will be the first flight game I play using the Wii-Mote.

Project H.A.M.M.E.R. looks like fun, but the jury is still out till I can see/play more of it.

Battalion Wars2 could be fun but its a long way off and hopefully they cleaned up and added a few things from the first. I actually stopped playing the first because I couldn't shut off the voice announcer, I wanted to drive a spike thru her head she was that annoying.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    In truth, I play the sports games drinking with friends more than any other. Wii play is "ok." but like zombeh says, its only worth it for the 10 dollars you are technically paying for the game. heh.

Raving Rabbids is another good party game.

Excite truck is pretty fun if a bit shallow. It's kept me playing, though. Carrot-on-a-stick for new cars and skins.

Zelda is rad rad rad.

Hm. Oh, Elebits is good, but if you play it multiplayer i think its inevitable you get violent when your partner decides, hey, let me hold this table in front of the camera so you cant grab shit. Drama ensues. The single player is fun, though.

I bought SSX blur last night and I'm enjoying it. I've not gotten near the level of skill I have palying the other SSX titles due to the new control, but I'm enjoying it. However, it is DEFINITELYH not a game you just hand to a friend hwo hasnt played it and expect and interesting match. Controls are JUST complicated enough to be trouble to pick up and play. Booooo.

Oh! Smooth moves is another game thats worth the tag. It's silly, and you _will_ be laughed at while playing. Enjoyable though for sure.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Sadly, I know little about the official Wii SDK. I believe that they are priced at $2,000.00 a pop. That's actually pretty cheap for an official console SDK. But's its still way out of the price range of the average consumer. You'd have to check with Nintendo themselves for multiple-seat liscences and the like.

I do know that the Opera Web browser on the Wii works with Flash, and fully supports flash games played with the mouse. A recent independent project even allows you to map the Wiimote's face buttons to different keyboard keys, allowing you to use them in Flash games as well. And I'm pretty sure its possible to run downloaded Flash games off a memory card. (though I'm not positive) So if you wanted to make a Flash game desgined for the Wii, that would be entirely possible.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys, thanks for that info Richard much appreciated.

I hope they bump up the virtual console, wish rare was still affiliated with nintendo could get some wicked games then.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Congrats on the find, I'll be setting off to find a Wii to call my own once I get my tax return. I was wondering, does the Wii have FULL backwards compatibility with the Gamecube, or just partial backwards compatibility via updates like the Xbox 360?
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    From what I've heard it should be fully backwards compatibitle with the gamecube right down to the freeloader disc removing GC region locking. I would guess that the same caution still applies to playing NTSC games on a PAL formated memorycard though...
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played the mario kart gc version and wind walker with no problems.

ebagg: - it does update when I connected my system but it took like 5 minutes so its no big deal smile.gif.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    IS there any killer app games coming out besides nintendo's usual lineup? I'll be getting the Wii for Mario, Zelda, Metroid and the virtual console, but so far I'm not seeing any killer third party games on the way...
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    The new sonic game seems good...
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    The wii needs to add more options to the mii's and let you build mii homes and towns.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    From what I've heard it should be fully backwards compatibitle with the gamecube right down to the freeloader disc removing GC region locking. I would guess that the same caution still applies to playing NTSC games on a PAL formated memorycard though...

[/ QUOTE ]

PAL Wiis won't accept the Freeloader.