Home General Discussion

The Darkness

Uly
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Uly polycounter lvl 17
Is it me, or is this game looking extra yum? After Butcher Bay (Riddick), I'm interested in anything those crazy swedes put out. (I particularly enjoyed their developer commentary.) Either way, Xboxyde just got a whole bunch of new screens, and it's looking quite nice. (The hair is really well done as well.)

New Screens of "The Darkness"

Anybody else here play Butcher Bay, like it? And has anybody actually read the comic this game is based off of... I haven't, looks interesting though.

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, hell yeah
    I've been in love with that game ever since I heard about it.
    Just looks so...
    Wonderful.
    Starbreeze is a great studio. Enclave, Riddick...two of my favorite xbox games.(second only to phantom dust) This looks like it could be my favorite 360 game possibly ( A position currently held by Lost Planet)
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    I was a big fan of the comic back when it came out, it was awesomely drawn by top cow great marc silvestri. I liked butcher bay, amazing graphics, this looks to be an awesome product. It seems they are going for more realism than the comic book so I don't know if we'll see some of the villains such as the Angel of Light chick or the Magdelina chick.

Can't wait!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Is it using the same engine as Doom3? It has that plasticy look. Personally, I'm not that impressed with the graphics on those screens.

-caseyjones
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Right on, the game videos I saw were badass. I loved Butcher Bay, it was a unique FPS with lots of fun adventure and role playing elements, truly one of the few really well done movie tie-in games.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Butcher bay was a fun game, and arguably about the most technically impressive engine on xbox. This should be interesting. It feels a little cheezy and derivative at the moment. Like a sort of amalgam of Fear, Condemned and a few other things, but I'll keep my eye on it based on Riddick for sure.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is it using the same engine as Doom3? It has that plasticy look. Personally, I'm not that impressed with the graphics on those screens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surprisingly no. Riddick was their own in house engine, and I'd imagine that this is an enhanced version.

I dont like the creature designs and the leather jacket cheese factor might be a bit too high for my tastes (still, this is based off of existing ip) , but its hard to fault the facial stuff, the sheer amount of work in these shots and the actual engine. For this kind of game its high quality.

'That plasticy look' is easy to fix by laying off the specular, but personally I find the Doom3 style impossibly hard pixellated shadows far more egrigous. I'm all for a unified lighting solution, but I long for soft edged stencil buffered shadows.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I love this image... Hands off my nipples!
    I also like their "Foolproof Equipment" boxes.

It's a pretty nice looking game, but last time I saw a vid of it in motion, it looked a bit slow and not fluid enough for my tastes... maybe they'll iron that out along the way though. Could be interesting.

I wonder why they release images like this though... the first person models just look hugely unfinished and/or rushed, not a very good presentation.
  • GameFruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It does look a bit plastic as Daz was saying. I think its pretty. I like the detail. But still it lacks some unity.

Is there something wrong with the Graffiti. It looks a bit cheese, no? I like the creepy pink critter, though. hehe.
    Click For Graffiti Kitchen laugh.gif
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    i like the fact that they wrote some of the graffiti in swedish.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Mop: yeah the hands and arms look really sub-par. I'm not sure why they went with such a low texture resolution on the sleeves.

The red glowy bits on the aliens are really neat, but in this shot: http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/4964/788_0016.jpg the creature looks like a really bad halloween mask.

I think it overall looks pretty darn nice. I'll probably check it out.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

It's a pretty nice looking game, but last time I saw a vid of it in motion, it looked a bit slow and not fluid enough for my tastes... maybe they'll iron that out along the way though. Could be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is one of the bigger faults I had with Butcher Bay, and with the demo vid for this game. For some reason with games like Butcher Bay, the Deus Ex games and System Shock 2 (and the Bioshock trailer looked a bit clunky too). The character you control feels clunky as hell, the movement is very robotic and you don't get that smooth sense like you do in regular shooters. Why is this? Are they too busy with the RPG elements that making the fps movement feel right takes a back seat? I understand that you can improve stats to move faster as you go along, but at the very least, the character you play (especially Riddick) should've been moving about without feeling like some stiff geezer right from the start...
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    There's a huge difference between clunky movement, and immersion. Whether or not you like the latter is up to you. Deus Ex had problems yes, there was a much larger emphasis on the design, and as such animation seemed to take a strong hit, which ties into direct player feedback from a first person cam.

System Shock 2 and Riddick however had a strong emphasis on immersion, simply dismissing it as clunky due to stronger view bob, and and the player not gliding through the environment like a cloud is exactly the direction FPSes should take. In Quake, or Unreal Tournament, you're essentially a floating gun, and that has its merits purely for twitch based gameplay.

I played Shock 2 last weekend, and the movement still seems leaps and bounds over anything I've played recently. You have excellent awareness of your collision within the environment, actions like peeking and crouching seem very fluid, and are presented through the camera in a very tolerable and understandable fashion.

Though Riddick isn't perfect, one complaint you have probably stems from the fact that Riddick's head can turn independently from his torso, and as such, has to straighten up if you want to move directly forward. You get used to it fast. Shock 2 on the other hand, is like saying Thief's controls were messy, and that game relied very heavily on spacial awareness. They're the exact same engine, with the exact same motion model, up to the mantling and everything.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm definitely not expecting "floating gun" Quake 3 arena...compare a more realistic game where you aren't running at 50mph. Far Cry for example, had a realistic movement speed, but felt much more smooth than the movement in the previously mention FPS hybrids...
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    deus ex and system shock's movement began feeling a LOT more like a regular FPS towards the end when you got your reflexes and speed boosts up...they start you at a normal movement speed, or close to it.

I read somewhere (maybe that 'masters of doom' book?)that they when they settled on a 'fun' run speed it was close to 90 mph in doom..not sure about other fps's but I know that most of them sure as heck aren't going at the normal 'average human walking speed' of 3 mph.

but yeah, riddick WAS clunky, moreso that SS2 or DX, which were just slow... it didn't make it any less fun though..watching a movie about a guy who cannot possibly be stopped because he's "just too badass" isn't very enjoyable...but playing as that same badass..well...there's something really fun about that.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    Far Cry does have an excellent model for player movement, and it feels excellent. Far Cry, however, does take place in *largely* outdoor environments, with as little gameplay taking place indoors as possible. I remember getting caught up on small props on a regular basis whenever venturing indoors.

It's not to say that its motion model isn't better than Riddicks, which I agree with you, it is, but again, immersion comes at a cost to gameplay. I haven't played Riddick very recently, so I can only remenisc about how it controlled. (Basically, very similar to Thief Deadly Shadows.) Now, they could have done it Halo 2 style, which also lets you see your legs, (albeit, not your entire body) and let the legs turn with the head, which kinda looked goofy at times, but worked. This however, made the game also feel kind of floaty, but then again, immersion wasn't a primary goal for Halo. (As far as I know, anyways.) In Riddick, you're legs aligned with your direction of facing after movement, which created a few millisecond delay. Whether or not this annoys somebody is completely dependent on the player, it is however, much better than some titles that could truly define "clunky".

Where am I going with this? I don't know. Basically, what I'm trying to say that though it isn't perfect, it's far from "Clunky". Clunky is something like Project Eden, Ghost Recon 1, or Tomb Raider, and I still can't find any of the aforementioned flaws with System Shock 2. (I played it minutes ago, and it's pretty much standard FPS fare as far as movement goes, with the inclusion of peeking, momentum, and view bob. I took some vids as examples, I could upload them later as examples.)

It is, at the very least, getting better, even with games with multiple genres. The "sequel" to Far Cry, Crysis, bosts probably what I've seen as one of the most comfortable movement systems yet from the most recent video released. I particularly liked how you moved while prone. (Rooowr.)
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    New vid here: http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1762

Seems like the HUD models MoP was commenting on, whilst surely look rushed in a frozen frame.. Don't look too shabby in full motion, although still I can see how it could be a hinderance to a degree.
    I can't wait. smile.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    looks great. wasn't familiar with the IP, but the demons in first-person are a cool way to show "possessed mafia hitman".

oh, and...
    darkness_interview.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    that vid looks pretty sweet have to say.. it looks great moving
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I wonder why they release images like this though... the first person models just look hugely unfinished and/or rushed, not a very good presentation.

[/ QUOTE ]In my experience, online games magazines go out of their way to use the most unfinished/bugged looking artwork that they're given. The hands in that shot are clearly earlier versions than these ones http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/4964/t_788_0002.jpg
    which still look like they could use some work but are an improvement.

I dunno about this game. Some of the graphics look quite nice but the whole playing as some hentai tentacle demon thing seems a bit silly, particularly with those little demon heads popping into the side of the view.
    http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Darkness-Magnet-C11750586.jpeg
    I wonder why they decided not to go with the design from the comic - it seems far better than what they've got here.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I'm really interested in this after playing Riddick on pc and thuroughly enjoying it. The game doesn't look that good in screenshots for me due to the razor stencil shadows and the lack of bounce or ao but seeing the game in motion makes me forget about the flaws in the light rig.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    I really would've preferred a graphical style closer to the comics. And I think they made a bad choice for the engine.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    haha just seen a dev diary type thing on gametrailers, they've got Mike Patton as the voice of the darkness....
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    ...And suddenly I'm much more interested in this game. More importantly, is he composing the music?
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Not as far as I know...unfortunately...
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Patton FTFW TBH

That's too awesome laugh.gif
  • Petter T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, you will also be killing homeless people. Classy...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    They were holding knives in a threatening manner, they had it coming to them!
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those upper wall textures are horrid laugh.gif
    Guy on the left must be an upper class russian tramp.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    It's less classy to be killed by homeless people.

Never heard of the comic before, did a bit of reading up on it and it sounds interesting. That, and the video have got me looking forward to this one.