Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Courtyard

Em.
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Em. polycounter lvl 17
I did a small one shot scene of an entry to a courtyard a month or two ago, but decided I wanted to expand upon it. I put in a statue of a saint or goddess, and the little building is an apothecary and place to buy offerings. I've gotten to a point where I'm not sure where to go next. So, any crits or ideas that my fellow polycounters may have, would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Full bright screen caps from Max.
wip14.jpg
Wire, 18,900 tris all together.
wip15.jpg

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Coloration and lighting seem inconsistent, the walls look awkward and fake due to the scale of the bricks within that pattern, a lot of your vines are inexplicably bright and colorful, and that grass tile is really painful. Also, the completely uniform ground seems unusual. Shouldn't there be a path, or more worn areas, or anything?

(sorry if that sounded kinda harsh, posting really fast and don't have the time to rewrite.)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    about lightning i will disagree as it is full bright. the rest i agree.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I'm trying to unify the colors more right now, and I haven't even touched the ground, just grabbed a tile from somewhere. I'll fix the vines and the size of the bricks, update in a little while. Thanks for the replys, needed that, been staring at this a tad too long.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    about lightning i will disagree as it is full bright.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, but some of the textures/pieces still seem inexplicably brighter or darker than the others.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i just noted this uses almost 20000 tris ! i thought it was 2000 , i dont see 18000 tris used in the scene frown.gif
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    probably because of the statue (character) in the middle of the scene. But 18.000 tris is a bit waco for something that looks so simple.
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    It looks cool, but definately it need some kind of light 'cos in here is none. And almost 20000 tris??o_O WTF WHERE!!
    U need to check it 'cos these scene doesn't seems to have such a huge numebr of tris. From here i see that the roof of house would have a lot less tris. Simple place shall be enough. The same about walls around the scene. Try to till textures not a mesh. And check the scale, looks a bit odd when u look at house and fountain.
    Otherwise it starts looking really cool. Keep it up wink.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uh wow, 19000 tris? Yeah, I figured 1900 too. How are those getting used?
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah..my bad, I duplicated pretty much my entire scene, so it's more like 9,000 tris. There's also an interior to that building. I changed the sizes of some things as suggested and added a little temporary wear and tear to the ground. The ugly grass tile is still there, I'll deal with that issue tonight. I'll also be dealing with lighting after all of these issues are resolved. Thanks for all the comments and crits, keep em comin'. smile.gif

Update::
    wip16.jpg

wip17.jpg
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    the fountain still seems too large compared to the building.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your wall texture tile is really obvious too. Rows of vertical lines.

This is a significant improvement already, though. smile.gif
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    As i was thinking you probably have hidden objects and waste material all over your scene.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    So..to do list..
    .proper grass texture
    .better wall tileable
    .futher geometry optimization
    .lighting

As far as the size of the statue goes, I wanted it to be gianormous, larger than life, still...you think too big?
    Thanks again for all of the prompt replys, Polycount rules, but we all already knew that, didn't we? Updates again this evening. Cheers.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for the statue size, it all looks very disproportionate. With the statues by the giant walls, it looks small. With it being so much bigger than the house, the building appears tiny.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Right...add scale statue to that to do list then. Thanks SupRore.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Why do you have all those loops on the roof? It doesn't seem to be using them to add shape.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Updates. Optimized some geometry, scaled statue, made improvements to grass texture and wall texture, plus various other tweaks. I realize the ground needs some more lovin', and more lovin' overall, but that'll have to wait till tomorrow. confused.gif Thanks again for all the comments and crits.

wip18.jpg

wip19.jpg
  • Goober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have a direct birds eye view of the whole thing? That could maybe sort out some of the issues with the building seeming too close to the fountain, or the fountain seeming too large.

Other comments about placement: I question who built the fountain, as its not placed directly between the walls. Asymmtery is fine, but its just weird in a ritualistic location like this. Also, come up with a rough outline of what the ruins looked like before they were ruined. Why did those corners fall out more? Maybe a few scattered very low walls blocking in the remainder of the ruin, and possibly junk up another wall. Remember, these stones are heavy, so they may fall, but even when they do, the rubble is going to stay there for quite a while.

I'd also think about the placement and angle of the shop. Play around with other placements, like move it to the left corner of the courtyard, and rotate it 40 degrees, with its door facing slightly towards the fountain. Whoever built it wouldn't want to be crowded against the fountain, and they'd likely want a view out of the shop at the statue etc. Just give it some "Front yard" area essentially. If this is for a game environment, it also crowds the points of interest for the players in the area. Instead, if you have a square like this, put something interesting in each corner, instead of all right in the middle. Give them a reason to explore, and not find just a blank wall when they do. Just relax the layout a bit ya know. Maybe put the tree in the corner where the wall is broken, as that corner would get the most light for the plants to grow in.

Also, I'd say scale the grass texture up more maybe, it still looks too large to fit in the scene once you get up close.

Just my thoughts, listen to all or none, I find I just have alot to say about it I suppose.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You're generally better to keep grass textures pretty simple and low contrast. Thiw should cut down on the obvious tiling and not draw the eye away from the rest of the scene so much. Starting with a bit of light noise and then building up from there should yield much nicer results.

Killing off the grass around the base of the fountain where people are likely to have walked and near the walls around the building and under trees in areas where it won't have gotten sufficient sun would add a lot to the realism and would stop everything from looking like its just be pluked down on the landscape.

As GOober says, you'd do well to have a bit of masonry laying about. If not big piles then just a few siable chunks that were too heavy to carry away.

I like the little shrubs but you might want to cary the form a little bit. It looks a bit odd that all of them have the same arcing shape, nice as it is.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks everyone for the lengthy crits/comments/ideas, there's some good ones. I'm still working on the grass texture, so I'll adjust the scale and contrast. I'll also add some rubble lying about and think about how the walls are breaking down. I'm also going to add some more props and areas of interest I sketched out last night. Again, some really great crits and ideas, I'll update in a bit.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    So, Update. Played with the layout, more attention to detail, more rubble and break down, etc. Still haven't gotten to the props I want to add, but all in due time. Update again later..
    wip20.jpg

wip21.jpg

wip22.jpg
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    grass is way better!! much easier on the eyes!!
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Another update, still going, more tomorrow, lots more to do. Thanks again for the crits. smile.gif

wip24.jpg

wip25.jpg
  • ming
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ming polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Emily! It's Lani smile.gif

The new layout looks great, it really opens the space up. I think the placement of the house and the ruined wall on the left adds a lot of interest to the scene. The ruined wall also makes the space seem alot bigger now. I like the detail of the offerings around the statue.

I can't wait to see more.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    @ Ming::Heyyyyy, Lani. Thanks for the comments and good to see you on/welcome to Polycount! I'm awaiting a posting of art from you.. crazy.gif
    Should have a new update in a bit, better grasses, new props added, etc.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Alright, update, still tweaking, at this point I could really use some crits, but I think it's getting to the finishing point. Big fat screencap dump, full brights, no lighting yet. It's at 11,100 polys now, with the new props and detail.

wip26.jpg

wip27.jpg

wip28.jpg

wip30.jpg
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I started playing with some lighting stuff for fun.
    wip_lighting2.jpg

wip_lighting3.jpg

wip_lighting7.jpg