Home General Discussion

My housemate has a question

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
"what's with all the swords?"

After seeing my dominance war concept, and killingpeoples, and generally a lot of artwork here there and everywhere. He doesn't like/understand why we are all into swords.

i don't know either, i just think they are cool

your thoughts?

Replies

• Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    LOL, it's a penis thing, "my *sword* is bigger than yours!" and then you crush the enemy with it.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    beats me, but i was pitching an idea to struve of a guy with 5 of them.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, Psyko is right, swords are like dicks.
    hmm, but mine is bigger.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    its because we all wish we were born in medieval times and could run onto a battlefield with a broadsword screaming at the top of our lungs
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    it's because guns are for pussies.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    its like samurai vs ninja, and everyone knows samurai are 10000 cooler than ninjas !!!!

P.S - Soworodu in japanese for sword.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    guns for show, knives for a pro!

-caseyjones
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    its like samurai vs ninja, and everyone knows samurai are 10000 cooler than ninjas !!!!

P.S - Soworodu in japanese for sword.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um... excuse me? Don't get me wrong, samurai are cool and all, but no way are they as cool as ninjas. Ninjas are basically rogue samurai who have become mercenaries (being a mercenary automatically gives you extra cool points), and they have a whole mysterious mythology to them. Ninjas are at least 1.5x cooler than samurai.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    regardless of the time frame, swords will always be an effective weapon against flesh.

its for when ammo runs out
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    regardless of the time frame, swords will always be an effective weapon against flesh.

its for when ammo runs out

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, gunpowder isn't all that difficult to make... and I doubt people are going to forget how to make it anytime soon.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ninjas are coward , samurai will chop them in one blow with their mistical ki n shit !1
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

I don't know, gunpowder isn't all that difficult to make... and I doubt people are going to forget how to make it anytime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but people don't carry infinite amounts of ammo around on them.

Unless they're Bruce Willis
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't make me throw a shuriken into your eyeball mad.gif.

[edit] I was talking to Johnny
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but people don't carry infinite amounts of ammo around on them.

Unless they're Bruce Willis

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea but in the future your lazer powered blaster rifle will be nuclear powered and have enough energy for 300 years of continuous fire.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    you know what would be cool ? a samurai pianist ! try to do that with a ninja and it will turn out wierder ! ( to keyzersoze )
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Um... excuse me? Don't get me wrong, samurai are cool and all, but no way are they as cool as ninjas. Ninjas are basically rogue samurai who have become mercenaries (being a mercenary automatically gives you extra cool points), and they have a whole mysterious mythology to them. Ninjas are at least 1.5x cooler than samurai.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to be contrary, but I'm pretty sure the rogue samurai were the ronin. The ninja's big thing is that they ignored the bushido code in favor of stealth and guerrilla tactics.. So the big shots in power would hire them to do 'dirty work' that was too dishonorable for their own troops/minions to do.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    You guys are lames! Clowns is where its at!
    pipo_oben.gif
    Not only do they carry sawed offs under their codpieces, but they also has the power of laughter!
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ronin were samurai who had no master, they weren't necessarily rogues. Yes, ninjas did ignore the Bushido code (a code btw which didn't really come into existence until the period when samurai were becoming obsolete) which is what made them rogues, and the big shots in power did hire them to do dirty work, which is what makes them mercenaries. It's hard to say for sure, since there isn't much written about the history of ninjas, but most of them were likely ex-samurai.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    American Ninja 2: The Confrontation is the best movie in the whole series and one of the best action movies I have ever seen. It has everything and what's more important: it has NINJAS! Tons of ninjas. In fact, there are so many ninjas in this movie that people got used to them. Ninjas wander around freely, shopping in supermarkets, hiding on roofs, driving cars, taking the sun on secluded beaches. This movie taught me one important lesson: ninjas are one of us and we should respect them.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    according to our tour guide at Himeji Castle (I was an exchange student in japan in high school), ninjas rarely, if ever, actually used swords. There were spies mostly... poisoning people and shit. -100 cool points. Sorry.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's hard to say for sure, since there isn't much written about the history of ninjas, but most of them were likely ex-samurai.

[/ QUOTE ]

hm..that makes sense
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    if you putted a samurai and a ninja fighting , the ninja might have an advantage since hes a coward , but the samurai has the same if not better sense enhancer training the ninjas had, all they do is hopa round in a skirt singing edelveiss....

oh and swords in kill bill ??? amazing by its own !
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    samurays, ninjas...
    medieval knight ftw!
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer other things that shred. Chainsaws, for example. Still, swords are cool. Plus I collect knives, so eh.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Facts:
    1. Ninjas are mammals.
    2. Ninjas fight ALL the time.
    3. The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

It's all totally true!
    http://www.realultimatepower.net/ninja/ninja2.htm
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Facts:
    1. Ninjas are mammals.
    2. Ninjas fight ALL the time.
    3. The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

It's all totally true!
    http://www.realultimatepower.net/ninja/ninja2.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Be sure to view this page in IE... the midi doesn't seem to play in Firefox (at least for me), and the "Big Pimpin" midi is an essential part of this page.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Like they say in the zombie survival guide, you don't have to re-load a sword, or a bat, or any other sort of hack n slash or bludgeoning weapon.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pfft, ninja were never samurai. They were hardly any more cowardly than them crusty samurai gits.

But they DID eat frisbees.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    what's with all the swords?

[/ QUOTE ]

Swords look cooler than a character holding a giant, two-headed dildo. Unless, of course, that dildo happens to be made of leather with metal studs.

'nuff said
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    opps posted a link that only takes you to the realultimatepower.com ninja info page. This link has more actual "factual" content. Even the fiction reads like news accounts.

http://www.realultimatepower.net/index4.htm
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninja > Samurai

-caseyjones
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    pirates > ninja, samurai, or ninja-samurai.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    emo > pirates
    everything else > emo
    ninjas > everything
    thus
    pirates = worst

-caseyjones
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samurai were honourable warriors following Bushido (The Way of the Warrior) in order to appease their leige lords, yada yada... if the liege lord was killed (in battle most likely) then the samurai would plead for the permission to commit sepuku. This was honourable suicide where the samurai would shove a sword in his gut and twist... occasionaly, another man, "the second" would cut off the head soon after.
    If the request to commit sepukku was denied, then they became Ronin... master-less samurai... rebels...
    ninjas, on the other hand, were frowned upon. They were extremely dishonourable, and very unlike the japanese ways.

Or at least this is how the system was during Sengoku (the civil war era prior to the Mieji Restoration).
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Obi-Wan: This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster, but an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.
  • indian_boy
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Most "ninja weapons" are modified farming impliments, most notably the ever-popular nunchucks (which contrary to popular belief, were not crafted specifically to repell the nun-invasion of the late Meji-era). Ninjas as ex-samurai is unlikely, they were peasant stock.

</off topic>

Swords are just cooler, does there really need to be any more explanation than that? I'd rather ask why people make so many boring world war 2 games :P
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's mainly about point of view. To samurai, ninja were cowards because they were sneaky and preferred to avoid up front fights. But is it a fair (and honourable) fight to have a guy with some rather spiffy armour and an extremely finely crafted weapon fight a guy in pyjamas and some bodge-job sword? They also thought of ninja as scum so didn't consider it dishonourable to attack villages and butcher thousands of men, women and children (which they did).

But more importantly, they didn't eat frisbees like the ninja, so everything else doesn't really matter. Ninjas are awesome unless you drop a fork. Then they become super awesome!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Those Samurai thought they were hot shit killing peasant's with impunity until they woke up with their face stabbed.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Those Samurai thought they were hot shit killing peasant's with impunity until they woke up with their face stabbed.

[/ QUOTE ]
    BAAHAHAHAHA!
    See... Ninjas > everything
    PUN INTENDED!

-caseyjones
  • Mongrelman
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    lol what i find ironic is how Ninjas swear by ninja, draw weird ninjas,as a Ninja nick, probably eat,shit and dress like one, can have a quote From Takezo in is signature Lol
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    I choked out a ninja a few months back in jujutsu practice. (Seriously) He must have been a ninja-trainee or something, because I did actually see him.

As far as the whole sword thing goes, it's a romantic view of combat where skill and training was more important for survival than it is with firearms. With guns, skill does play a factor, but much less of one. Training time for military is much less for soldiers with guns than it is with swords.

How long is basic training for the modern military? Six weeks to three months, depending on branch of service/nationality? At this point someone is a fairly proficient soldier in a modern military.

With swords, it takes years of training to become proficient. Generally swordsmen would be apprentices/squires/assistants for years before being battle ready knights/samurai/warriors. If you saw a military man in the old days carrying a sword, it was because he was pretty much a badass, and knew how to handle it. By the time he was allowed to carry a sword, he'd probably already mastered various long range infantry weapons such as spears/pikes/halberds and seen quite a bit of action in combat.

Taking all of this historical context into account, here's what most people tend to think when they see an gunman and a swordsman:

Dude with sword: Badass killing machine
    Dude with gun: Dude with gun
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    lol what i find ironic is how Ninjas swear by ninja, draw weird ninjas,as a Ninja nick, probably eat,shit and dress like one, can have a quote From Takezo in is signature Lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I do in fact eat and shit ninja, but it is hard on my budget. Ninja is, like, $20 a pound -- not surprising I guess since they are so hard to find in the wild. I am not a complete ninjatarian, but I try to eat ninja at least 4 times a week. Ninja are very high in fiber, so the shitting part is great-- the shits come out smooth, like miniature dolphins.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    I think Vikings are being horribly underrepresented in this here arguement about sword wielding folk. I mean come on, they scared the christians of the british isles so badly they amended the Lords Prayer, to include a line about saving them from the Norsemens wrath.

Drunken screaming crazy men clad in bearskins and wolfskulls > sneaky dudes in black pajamas

check out this dude
    Egill Skallagrimsson

"at the age of seven, Egill was cheated in a game with local boys. Enraged, he went home and procured an axe, and returning to the boys, split the skull of the one who cheated him, to the teeth" ...nice

Seriously tho...Swords are 1000X cooler than guns.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    I second the notions on vikings. This historical document proves the badassery of their combative methods.

War Photographer
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pfft. M'on the Scots!
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Gunswords ftw! Or better yet - how about a gun that SHOOTS swords!?! Oh HELLs ya!

-off topic-
    I once saw a clan of about 10 ninjas in a park one day while driving by. They must not have been very good ninjas because a: It was daytime, b: I could see them plainly standing around doing nothing, c: They weren't killing anyone. From thence forward the park has come to be known as "Ninja Park"
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18