Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low poly self.

Sum-Of-1
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Sum-Of-1 polycounter lvl 17
Here is a low poly self model I have been working on. I'am about to finish rigging it, and took a pic of me playing with the deformations. hope ya like it.

Front Still:
3dme.jpg

Playing around with deformations:
grover-kicking.jpg

Replies

• steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    is that a shaved head with a mullet? or a flat pony tail? nice! you might want to use the '' and '' tag when posting, we are a lazy bunch and prefer not having to click each picture link. Post your wires and flat, and most seem to agree that screenshots from your perspective viewport looks better than a blurry render with a black background with poor lighting.
    Welcome to polycount smile.gif
  • fweezah
    Offline / Send Message
    fweezah polycounter lvl 11
    lol. cool. I think this would be a good thread to start for others that want to show low poly models of themselves.
  • Sum-Of-1
    Offline / Send Message
    me.jpg

me2.jpg

wire-flats.jpg
    its a pony tail made with 6 planes and alpha shading.
  • spinal
    Offline / Send Message
    spinal polycounter lvl 17
    Hy man very cool, just want to know what the res is on your texture...but very nice.
  • Sum-Of-1
    Offline / Send Message
    512X512 on the head map 1024X1024 on the body.
  • Goober
    Check the curve of your hair line, it almost looks backwards in the model, while in your photo it curves upwards towards your head. I dunno how much modelling you're going to adjust, or if you could change that with just the texture work, but I'd also try and bring out some of your facial features a bit more, to give it a better likeness, sometimes you almost have to exaggerate the model to make it really recognizable.

I really want to do a low-mid poly self portrait as well, I'd definately contribute to that thread if it happened.
  • zenarion
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    awesome! i want to make myself too :>
  • Sum-Of-1
    Offline / Send Message
    I went back and looked at my actual refrence pics. Wasnt backwords, but it was down way to low.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    You've made the top of the head/forehead too short. The eyes should fall halfway down the head. Yours are about 2/3rd of the way up. Apart from that the model looks pretty decent. The texturing could do with a bit more love, especially round the eye area. Maybe post your texture flats for some better crits?
  • Xeto
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    with a 1024 for the body, I would think you could get a much higher texture quality on the body. Mind posting your texture flats?
  • Sum-Of-1
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure No problem. I do need to rework the paint-over on the hands though. I did do a very good job on them. The texture sizes are the sizes I was working in at the time and left them their. If i were to put them in a game or something I would just reduce them to the standered size for that game. (I am by no means any good at textureing.)
    head.jpg
    map.jpg

*reduced their size to save on space*
  • Vitor
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Likeness on the face stills need some work, top of the head for example needs to be scaled a bit down on sides.

About the texture, the UVW for the body is really bad packed together so you are wasting alot of texture size with black areas or with mirrored texture spaces. The torso, pants and shoe textures are completly mirrored. On that case you can just create half of the texture, and give both sides the same UVW coordinate.

Add more light information to the texture too, imagine where a standard light would be placed (usually front/up to the model) and light/shadown where it should. Just by looking to your reference you can easly see there are areas too flat now, you could shadow the top of neck/botton of the jaw, same for the cheeks, your cheek bones create some shadowns down... adding these highlights and shadows would make your texture look a lot better.
  • chinups
    Offline / Send Message
    chinups polycounter lvl 17
    If i model myself, my lower half will greatly overwhelm my upper half. tongue.gif
  • Sum-Of-1
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok made a few corrections in the head and lowered the poly count in the head by a few. Yeah the textures are mostly mirrored for now. I havent really decided what it is I want to do with them. I dont know if i want to put a shirt on him and remove those sections of the textures all togeather or what.(the head map is staying though.) So for now I am not going to worry about them too much. However, when I get to that point Ill have to come back and re-read the crits for that. So fire away on those. cool.gif