Home Technical Talk

Intuos3 vs. Graphire 4

Uly
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Uly polycounter lvl 17
This is kind of a "bang for your buck" question. It's clear that the Intuos is a better series, but is it worth the extra $120 USD you have to pony up for a decent sized model?

With an Intuos you have higher pressure sensitivity and the pen rotation functionality. I'm curious as to how often these features come in handy for some of the artists here that use them.

Congraturation! You success at information

Replies

• hetsch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Opinions on this topic would be much appreciated, since I'm pretty much in the same situation as Uly, where the "bang-for-your-buck" factor is really what it comes down to.

And yes, I'm a poor student smile.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    when it comes to your art i say its worth riding that pony for the extra cash for an intuos,, hell sell some of the dopes that you kids are into nowdays and get a cintiq
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    interested in this too, i'm planning on either buying the big ass graphire, or the smallest intuos (which still costs more than the graphire frown.gif )
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    well it depends on your current level i would say.. if you just starting out i dont think you need an intous yet.. i used the smallest crappiest graphire when i first started and it worked just fine for making my first few pieces.. if you already have a graphire or you have been doing this for awhile and want to start to take it more serious then i would say its time to upgrade.. and yeah i am with rhinokey with the cintiq, the best thing i have ever bought, worth every penny and probably more..

another thing is that the intous 3 isnt really that amazing of step from the intous 2.. actually i dont really like the buttons my arms are always brushing the touch strips or pressing the buttons on accident so i have to disable them anyway.. if you really want the best of both worlds, cheap and high quality i would scrounge ebay for some intous 2 pads, i bet you can pick up a used one on the cheap.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the input. I'm rather sick of my wee Graphire, and the improvement sounds worth it. I guess I'll take the plunge.
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    I have the Intuos 3 A5 and it's amazing.

One guy in my class has the Graphire 4 instead of the Intuos which the majority has and while he likes working with it (and being a former Graphire 2 user, it's come a long way) he wishes he had bought an Intuos 3. And that's coming from a person who mainly uses it for modeling and animation.

And it's not just the sensitivity and tilt that make it more than the graphire. The pen in my opinion handles a hell of a lot better and the active surface of the graphire isn't as nice to work on as that of the intuos.

It's expensive, but sooner or later you'll want to move on anyway and the intuos apears to be sturdy enough to last you a while.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    My advice to you is wait until you can afford a 6x8 intous 2 or get the new one. I have a 4x5 intous 2 and wish I had a larger tablet for drawing. I upgraded from a graphire 2 4x5.

Alex
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I grabbed the Intous3 6x8 a few months back. I was using one of the school's graphire's for awhile...and I noticed a world of difference from the get go with the Intous. Arsh is right though, the buttons are annoying. I ended up turning off the ones to the right all together, but I use the left ones constantly. 300 beans isn't all that much to pay for a rather nice piece of equipment imo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16883100016
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    wel I still use my graphire 3 and I can't tell the diff with my wacom intuos at work. if anything I can paint better with the graphire , because at least the drivers don't suck.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    guess i'll be getting the smallest intuos, I don't really mind the small size because i'm quite used to it on my old graphire
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I upgraded from a 4x5 Graphire to a 9x12 Intuos3. Wow, what an upgrade. I love it and would recommend it to anyone.

But my lil' graphire served me well for the time I had it. If you're totally broke and just starting out, go with that.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I need a new wacom, i have generation 1 and mudbox is having problems with it. I'm looking to upgrade to graphite 4 4x5 or 6x8.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Lee! I'll let you use mine for a weekend! Come to Pittsburgh! :]