Home Technical Talk

Photoshop prob....brown in my red/green channels

fritz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
fritz polycounter lvl 18
something weird is goin on. anyone ever have this problem? it's happened before a long time ago, however i thought it was a glitch and disappered....obviously it hasn't. these are the channels for a normal mapped asset. the red and green are brown instead of greyscale. any ideas?

browndf5.jpg

Replies

• snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know what prog you use, but i may think those are overlaps geometry

Can someone correct me on this ?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    snap.crackle.pop: I think he's actually referring to the colours of the R and G channels themselves, not the ray misses (shown in red on the main image).

Fritz: Never seen anything like that before ... very weird, maybe a display option somewhere? It looks like your final RGB image is correct, so I can't understand why it's showing them in brown unless that's a preference (probably tied to some arcane hotkey) smile.gif
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    yeah it's weird...and if i want to alter my normal map...i can only paint in that burnt sienna tone....i can't paint in grey. it's really weird...and i'm just kinda wondering about editing/painting normals. but...like you said mop...rgb looks aight. thanks for chiming in as always.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Weird! Your normalmap looks fine here, is this really your actual screenshot, or did you colorize it, i mean i could udnerstand if there is something wrong with your monitor, but your image is sepia... never saw anything like this, maybe you've loaded a strange color profile?
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    Try going to preferences -> display and cursors: there should be a checkbox that says "color channels in color".

Does that do the trick?
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    "Try going to preferences -> display and cursors: there should be a checkbox that says "color channels in color".
    "

Let me check here too, what prog are you using ?
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    oh snap.crackle.pop. i apologize. i'm using Pshop 7.

i tried that hyrumark. the channels are now "red", "green", and "blue"....like they are actually those colors...and bright ones.

and this is the actual screenshot. i opened one version of the normal map in painter...and one in photoshop. the rgb looks exactly the same. so i guess it's not messin w/anything

thanks for the help so far guys. i may just have to re-install(if i still have it)....or just paint brown. ugh.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    fritz: If all else fails, don't uninstall, just close PS then move/rename the folder in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourWindowsUserName\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\
    Then restart PS. It'll be back to factory defaults.
    Then you could try copying the files back into that folder after closing PS again, and see if the problem comes back.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    oh dude...never heard that before. thanks mang. i owe you so many pints at this point. i'll see if that works.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    still brown...bummer. i appreciate all the help. i can't even find this prob on google.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    wow thats indeed weird, tried to watch it in other computers ?
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    I encountered this Problem too at some point, all the Channels suddenly seemed to be brown ! shocked.gif

I was able to fix it by installing Adobe Gamma and going through it's "Wizard" to create an Adobe Gamma Profile for my Monitor. After that the Channels were nicely black / white again smile.gif.

Now maybe there is another way to approach this problem, by disabling some ominous option inside of Photoshop, but not sure. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    could it be your color profile loaded? try going to edit->Color settings or Edit->Assign Profile I know having different settings in these menus can affect how the document appears on your screen
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    johny...yeah..it's not my monitor. it's most def my Pshop. WOW...reeb, finally someone else had the prob and it's not just me going crazy. i'll try that when i get home. tinman, i will try that before the gamma thingy. per128, what the hell you talkin' bout?
  • Goober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess he wants his colors to look more next-gen by default!

You're right about it not being your monitor or color profile though, it's totally out of whack for us to, meaning this is how the video is outputting and not just how you're seeing it. Freakin weird though for sure.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    yep, photoshop is just like 3ds max, accidentally bump the board and oh noes!!! you just hit some random hotkey and something went all freaky! lol, i've had that happen so many times i just keep a backup of the 3ds max .ini file with my usual preferred settngs.
    as for photoshop, each channel is 8 bits (hence 24 bits for full 3 channel color and 32 bits including alpha), and 8 bits is only greyscale... so it must be some funky photoshop channel option somewhere... sorry though, i can't help... never had that problem before.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    well...i have given up. i was workin on some stuff last night...and i noticed that when i was editing the info in the channels(which are still brown)the color picker was registering grey. so....oh well. i would like to thank all for the tips.

cheers
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You didn't try the Adobe Gamma wizard?

I bet if you removed it entirely from your startup folder, and rebooted, you'd get rid of the brown.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    well...that's a monitor sort of calibration thingy right? it's not my monitor...there are greys in other places. it's just my channels that are brown. the color picker is grey...i pick grey in it...then when i go to paint in the channels...it's brown. i'll try it anyways tho. hell...i'd piss on a spark plug if thought it would do any good.

that last bit is a line from a movie...trivia?...anybody know it?
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    sing all!!!!!! sing EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!HALLELUJAH!!!!!!HALLELUJAH!!!!!!

red/green

halleillujahox1.jpg

just reloaded the exact same ICC file that the damn puter was already running. whew!!!!

beer's on me!!!!!!