Home General Discussion

Game Developer's Conference 2007 (GDC)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
I know it may be a little early; but the ticket princes just went up so it can't be too soon, eh?

Here's the querey:

Whom of you are going to GDC? Which Ticket Package did you opt for and why? Are you going freelance, volunteer, or is your company sending you to, "represent"?

For artists, how do you intend to Pimp yourself? If there are any programmers here, I ask you the same.

Myself. I am going; "Hell or High-Water". This is my Senior year in college for my Bachelor's and I have been creating enough work lately to place together a decent portfolio.

I intend to retool my website, and also take business cards with my web-address and phone number. I may also package my website on a CD, with my Demo Reel, and hand out copies as well (both versions will contain my resume); I have just landed the role of Lead Artist on my Mod Team, and I hope that adds a little more credibility to my pimping.

Many say that, as a student you should go twice. The first time you will be filled with the shock of being there. I hope not to do this, but this will be my first time. I relize this is not E3 (not have I been to that either), but it is time to have our Game Faces on (grin.gif).

Any other suggestions? I would love to hear from you, and perhaps even run into you there.

We are going as a team, and hope to have our SUBSIST shirts on...

-Andrew B. Chason

Replies

• skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it wrong for me to be more interested in the San Diego ComicCon than GDC?

I've never been to GDC, is it fun?
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I only assume an aspect of fun. I wish I could tell you. I have never been, however I have heard that the -real- networking starts with the open-bars at the afterparties on the Friday of that week.

I am going to for the Job-Trolling.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be there. Job hunting in the expo, and seeing how many new shirts I can nab smile.gif
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I would be there this year if they kept it in San Jose. San Fran stunk when I went to it 2 years ago (i think it was 2 years ago).

It's a greater experience for game developers and those that are trying to get into the industry than E3 (if you thought you had to choose between the two).
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    skanker, i'm with you on that. ComicCon > GDC
    San Fran GDC was lame last time i went.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have just landed the role of Lead Artist on my Mod Team, and I hope that adds a little more credibility to my pimping.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Most recruitment staff don't even know what a mod *is*.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    dont forget you need a printed out version of your work or something that lets you show them your work with out them needing anything.
    If your going to put vids, make sure to put onto the CD any codex's they might need to play your vids, and set up your file structure on the CD so it makes sense. Better yet make sure all your vids are in a format that is very very basic, so they can lick play with out any worries.

If it they try and show off your work to someone else and it wont show, you just made an ass out of that person and your work more than likely will be canned.

Just some food for thought. Printed out copies are your best bet that you show them but don't give them to keep and CD's of that same stuff for them to keep and take home. Don't forget 5 works that look hot as fuck is better than 50 mehh works with a few good ones in the mix. Its your job to sort out what you think is your best, not theirs.

PS if that reads like a six year old typing, i'm 90% asleep rite now.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well Daz,

Have any tips for a student(s) with no "industry" experience?

-Andrew
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    If your going to put vids, make sure to put onto the CD any codex's they might need to play your vids...

[/ QUOTE ]

How about Quicktime, it's pretty universal? What's a good aspect ratio?
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If your going to put vids, make sure to put onto the CD any codex's they might need to play your vids...

[/ QUOTE ]

How about Quicktime, it's pretty universal? What's a good aspect ratio?

[/ QUOTE ]
    i'd say wmv would be the best... but that may be my bias simply because i hate the quicktime player (hence why i have quicktime alt.).
    as for gdc, if it wasn't for the high price to get in and the price of flying out there and the price of a hotel...etc i'd go. i love all things gdc and have listened to all free gdc radio and gamasutra podcast, watched all free videos on their main site, on their 2005 gdctv site, and on google video. its all very informative imo.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i HATE showreels in wmv. Quicktime allows you to scrub backwards and forwards at your leisure, which is vital if you want to look closely at someone's work.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    GDC is indeed a good way to find companies who are looking to hire. But it is by no means the only way to land a job. The idea of going twice as a student is bunk. GDC is expensive. I couldn't imagine fronting the cost of it while still a student.

The bottom line is (as folks seeking a way in the industry on these boards are likely sick of hearing) that if you're truly good at whatever you do you will land a job eventually. If your work is amazing and you don't have tentacles growing out of your head you can expect to be working on games in your future.

That said if you have the liquid cash to pay for a pass to GDC then by all means go. I like it very much- more than E3 personally.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, $195 for the Expo pass, or $75 for the Student pass isn't very pricey at all for a student. Just gotta get yerself there and find some place to stay, and yer good.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Didn't realize it was so very cheap for a student, geez. i'm used to the company dropping a couple grand on the whole thing.

By all means then, go go!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    if ure going to GDC to look for a job, be prepared to get your pristine demo reel thrown in the bin at the back of their booth and they'll say "we'll call you if we think your the right fit"

Don't bother bringing a laptop, i tried that and it was too time consuming. HR people or art directors want to see the stuff then and now. bring renders and sketches in a binder which they can easily scan through.

The students with the printed portfolios were getting the on site interviews, compared with those of us with laptops & demo reels, from what I saw at GDC 2005.

remember to bring your psp or DS, because you never know who might meet for a lan game smile.gif.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    I dunno, $195 for the Expo pass, or $75 for the Student pass isn't very pricey at all for a student. Just gotta get yerself there and find some place to stay, and yer good.

[/ QUOTE ]
    what do you have to do to qualify as a student? i am currently a freshman at my community college (getting basics done than transfering), is that enough?
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'Registration for the Student pass is only available on-site on Friday, March 9, 2007 at GDC 2007 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, CA. You must be at least 18 years old and provide proof of current enrollment (i.e. a valid student ID) to be eligible for this pass.

This pass is good for students who are interested in accessing the GDC Expo and Career Pavilion on Friday, March 9, 2007.'
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, they have sold out of the Indy pass, so it seems I am only going to be going for Wednesday through Friday.

You all are right, and I need to have a physical copy (or two) of my portfolio, as well as a buissiness card. I don't think I am going to hand out CDs.

I won't have a demo reel, I don't have much to animate but two dynamic props. If I have a weakness, I need to learn more about rigging.

Luckily I have been practicing more and more digital painting, so I hope to have some of my best pieces in there as well.

Hope to see some of you there and get to know you.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I went for the past 2 years (got free passes) and had a damn blast. Got completely wasted at the Autodesk party. Met poops for the first time. Hung out with Sean Miller and Mike Brown from High Moon into the wee hours of the day at a hookah bar. Hung out with the massive black guys. Android is amazing. Got a free space pilot. Met all kinds of people that I have kept in contact with and that may lead to jobs when i grad. It was a great experience. I am not sure if I am going this year. I have a ticket but it's in San Fran and since I graduate a few weeks after I may just save some cash. Who knows though. I have a place to stay within staggering distance of the convention.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And that is the plus side. While I intend to spread the love that will be my portfolio, I look forwards to the social-networking that made possible by events such as this. As of now, this is my plan.

Have printed copies of my portfolio (three at most) to show to a crowd. Have my website up and running, mirroring the content in my portfolio. Hand out business cards with my Name, Phone, Web-Address, and Email.

Is this still flawed?

-Andrew B. Chason
  • kingofmoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I attended last year's GDC and it was a blast. I would highly recommend that if you're completely strapped for cash you should apply to be a conference associate (in fact you should apply for a position anyway). For a mere 16 - 20 hours of working at the conference (which consists of checking badges for sessions and food, data entry, etc...), you get a giga pass for free. The expenses that you're responsible for are travel, lodging, and food. The guys who run the CA program also have a housing option that I believe is generally cheaper that if you rent with a few friends, plus I believe it is in close proximity to the conference. I'm not sure exactly how that works, I didn't do it last time or this one. Last year I even believe that they were lodged in one of the hotels attached to the convention center. In your free time you are welcome to go to just about any discussion or session that is being presented, you're also welcome to attend the expo floor on wednesday through friday. Unfortunatly the application process has been closed for a while now and they've already started picking their volunteers, but there's always next year! One of the best things is, if you are picked to be a CA at GDC, you're practically in for life assuming two things. First make sure you don't completely mess up and make your other CA's hate you, and second, simply make sure that you apply every year and check a box that says "I've volnteered at GDC before". You can find the CA application on their website if you just browse around, I'm pretty sure this is the same URL they use every year.

http://www.gdconf.com/
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have just landed the role of Lead Artist on my Mod Team, and I hope that adds a little more credibility to my pimping.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Most recruitment staff don't even know what a mod *is*.

[/ QUOTE ]

Recruiters for EA, possibly.

But modifications are huge to a games long-term success (maps, TC's, whatever) and I would say that most recruiters DO know what a mod is. It's whether or not that experience holds any weight is the issue.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I have no idea what EA has to do with anything at all. Generally EA don't use recruiters.

Personally I've never needed to use one, so yeah, I guess I don't have much experience of them (other than them hounding me on e-mail and the phone) to make such a sweeping statement.

Still, you're being pretty picky about a post I made a week ago. I don't believe that having some kind of lead role on a mod stands you in any stead with either recruiters or employers. That was my point. I'm so sorry that I worded it poorly Adam. It will never happen again I promise.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Girls, girls. lets not fight. please.. The kids are still awake.

I have been on quite a few mods actually. While at a High Moon open house I was chatting with some guys from Sony, Rockstar and High Moon HR and Artist types and I mentioned I was working on a mod and have on other mods in the past and I was told that was good stuff to know.

So I mean if you did enough on the mod and can show your work then I think it helps but what do I know I haven't even gotten a job in the industry yet. frown.gif
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And welcome to Polycount Kingofmoose! I hope you find the locals as friendly, supportive, and informative as I have.

"Till that day"...

-Andrew B. Chason
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have no idea what EA has to do with anything at all. Generally EA don't use recruiters.

Personally I've never needed to use one, so yeah, I guess I don't have much experience of them (other than them hounding me on e-mail and the phone) to make such a sweeping statement.

Still, you're being pretty picky about a post I made a week ago. I don't believe that having some kind of lead role on a mod stands you in any stead with either recruiters or employers. That was my point. I'm so sorry that I worded it poorly Adam. It will never happen again I promise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I don't know why a 1 week old post takes away from my replies validity. =P I was thinking of your past work history (EA) and figured you were posting in relation to that experience - which in retrospect I shouldn't have done.

However, I know of 2 people who made it in to this industry with 2+ years 'mod' experience as either the founder of the team or in a 'lead' role of sorts that are now leads in their respective skillsets - in only a year or two's worth of in-house experience. I also know a few other people from the a mod community who landed their jobs based on experience. So yah - I think the mod experience can help out quite a bit, especially if the person going for the job talks about their role on that team and how they learned from it.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I'll be there at some point (still not sure when) And I'll probably be working the Cryptic booth for some of that. Stop by and say hey if you're around.

As for getting a job there. . . I tried 3 years in a row to no avail. I'll restate some of the already stated.

Bring a printed Portfolio.
    5 Smokin' pieces are better than 20 so-so ones.
    Be yourself, understand people are busy, but don't be afraid to go up and talk to them. That's what they're there for.

My best recommendation is to find a gimmick that sets you apart from the swarms of others. Something that makes you linger in the minds of the people who are giving out jobs. While I didn't get a job from it, my best response was the last year I went looking for a job. Basically after two years of cruising the hiring booths, I realized that most of the people over there are just recruiters and have no idea what they're looking at and will never give you feedback. Most of the people you ACTUALLY want to talk to are out on the floor.

So I brough my case of Demo Reels, CD's, portfolio & resumes, and a simple cardboard sign I made: "Will Model & Texture for Food." Again, I didn't get my job this way, but I got way more people to take a look at my stuff, got a lot more feedback, and a lot more interviews/tests out of that than I ever did running the circuit.

Some people will be assholes, get over it, there are just some people that like being that way. But the majority of devs all remember being in your shoes at some point, and will take a minute or two out to help you out if they can.

Good luck everybody.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    OK, that's all great Adam but I feel like it's a bit of a fluke. They must have been very good in their fields, regardless of mod experience, to get where they are today. That's really my fundamental point here I suppose. All this talk about this experience and that experience is bollocks If your work is shit. Heck I've met people who've been making Art for games professionally for years and they're still useless.

Personally, I wouldn't anyone based on anything at all other than their work (first and foremost), reliability, enthusiasm and personality.

Incomitatum: that all sounds find, but wouldn't you want to leave something with the recruiter/potential employer that actually has some of your work on it?
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Incomitatum: that all sounds find, but wouldn't you want to leave something with the recruiter/potential employer that actually has some of your work on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would I? I think so, but I dunno. I am sorta getting conflicting responses, but that sort of thing is the reason I started this thread. I want to get noticed, and by getting noticed, get hired. I AM going to make a, "Will Model and Texture for Food shirt". Sounds great!

But if my CD of work is just gonna get thrown in a bin and forgotten like some have suggested it may, then why wast the money to make 100's of CDs, in -addition- to my website, and 3 printed portfolios.

You guys, please, tell ME. I feel you are the experts here, and will take your advice to heart.

Thank you for your concern DAZ.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I've found mod work to vary in it's importance per studio. Valve software for instance, can put some mods as a higher importance in their minds than some shipped titles (like natural selection compared to a my little pony game). However I'd say most studios will only care insofar as how good the work you did for the mod was, and maybe they'll lend some weight to the experience you explain to them you achieved through working on the project. I'd have to go with Daz and say that most HR people I've come in contact with don't care much for mods and it won't impress them any more than experience at a video rental store. Let's face it, most mods don't get finished, have zero originality, and have sub-par work to professioinal games. The exceptions are few and faaaar between.

Also, the best "gimick" is to just have an awesome portfolio and attitude, works every time. I'd prefer you spend an extra few hours polishing your artwork than creating a cardboard sign. In fact most times I see a gimick like that, I assume the person is compensating for something (a lacklustre portfolio perhaps).

poop.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would try not to appear too desperate as people might assume you have been trying and trying to get in and are some how damaged goods to be avoided.

"If 50 companies didn't hire this guy I'm sure they had good reasons, and now look he's begging... and humping my leg... is that money he's putting in your pocket, oh crap is he crying?"

Be careful so you don't become the American Idol joke contestant. Everyone remembers you but no one gives you a shot. No amount of flash or catchy ideas will make up for bad art in a portfolio. I haven't seen your stuff so I'm not judging it.

Most of the time recruiters and hiring staff are looking for rockstars, people to wine and dine and woo them to the company. They get paid to ignore the clingy guy that stands inches away from them saying "can I have a job yet?" over and over again.

Also giving the impression that you'll work for minimum wage or less will only piss some artists off. Since all that does is lower the average starting salary. You will be paid a low starting wage already. Because people have done just that, agreed to work for peanuts, why screw yourself over more by shooting under the already low bar? Shooting under the bar won't make up for bad art in the portfolio either. Again haven't seen your stuff, not judging.

Fast forward 5 years, you've been an artist at a company for 5yrs you're looking for a raise. They hire a new guy for less than what they hired you for 5 years ago. Here is someone that will do your job for less money maybe not as well but on paper it can look the same to people not in the know. That effects how you bargain for a raise, what is stopping them from canning your ass and hiring two starving artists? Now how do you feel about the new guy? Jump back to now how are the other artists going to receive you, now that you just punched their earning power in the nuts? Also your bargaining power goes into the negative since you're hired on a charity case basis.

Trust me you're blind sighted right now by just trying to get in, but 6mo down the road after you're in, and you're on your 80th case of frozen vegetarian bean burritos (the meat ones are too expensive) you'll want more money. Because you started with negative bargaining points you're now in a difficult position of being the new guy asking for a raise when those raises should be handed out to more senior staffers who have gone longer without a raise and given more to the company than yourself. You might be thinking "oh the money will come later when they see how awesome I am" not really, at best they'll think "sweet jesus we pay this guy nothing and he out preforms everyone there what a freakin deal!" Unless you change jobs or pull some asshole tactics your pretty much not going to see a huge bump in pay.

I turned down the first two offers because they where contract and that meant leaving my full time job, they where also less money. You might like living in a shoebox but I wasn't going to move into one just to get in.

Unless you've done an amazing job and blown everyone away and can hold the "I'm going to leave for some place that pays more" cards over their heads. Commonly known as the asshole bait and switch. They think they hire some charity case who turns out to be a good hard working guy, who turns out to be a dick holding them hostage. They think they hired you at a fair wage you can live off of otherwise you wouldn't have taken the job. You are tired of living in a shoebox eating spam, but honestly you did that to yourself. So if you get in working for peanuts I don't want to hear you complaining they don't pay you enough.

I wouldn't work for a company that would hire someone knowing they will barely live off of what they are paid, thats a sweat shop and if you get in one of those places get out when you can.

In the end it's like poop said your art and your personality are what propel you forward. I think your ideas are neat and could help but it depends on how you handle yourself.

And look I wrote another book, I'm sure everyones shocked and won't read it. Ok I'm done...
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Oh don't get me wrong, I totally agree that the most important thing is to have awesome work. My only point is that you need to have someone actually see that awesome work, and that can be difficult at the GDC job fair since most people there are recruiters & HR people.

I agree the gimmick idea isn't great. Again, it didn't even work out for me, but I don't think that by sitting there with my little cardboard sign I was actually bringing down salaries for artists. Even if I had been offered a job, I wouldn't have actually worked for peanuts. The sign was merely meant as a way to attract attention at that time. Sorry if I somehow offended you guys with it. . .

And as shitty as it is, the majority of the people I know who get jobs, get jobs because they know someone at the company. I haven't seen many people get hired out of the GDC job fair.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I guess the companies I'm thinking of aren't the norm. I still believe if you're a great artist and was a part of a mod your chances are better than the other great artist who taught himself then applied to the job w/out any previous practical application of their skillset.

I agree, Daz, in that experience doesn't amount to shit if the skillset isn't there. I also know a couple of guys that fall in to that category.

Ah - and GDC this year, almost went. Starting on a new project as a supervising artist so I won't have the bandwidth to make it. Like I said last year, hopefully I can go next year =P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To toss my 2 cents in on the whole mod thing.

Talking about mod work, what teams worked well, how we structured our pipelines and the fact that I playable demos on my laptop with me helped quite a bit in the 3rd interview. They knew I was bringing it in, and for the previous interviews I had brought nicely printed collated version of my portfolio. Working in graphic design so many years go helped there.

Mod work was more of a segue that allowed me demonstrate I know how most of the industry works and while I was a noob I could hit the ground running. Obviously if I go on any more interviews I doubt I'll be chatting them up about mod work I did from 99-05. I don't think it counts as actual shipped title experience and you have to judge their reaction when you bring it up, but it can't hurt to be part of a good mod team, they are rare and you have to be picky but it can help someone get some kind of taste, some nice pieces of art done, and your name out there.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i guess if you made cool art for a cool mod i doubt anyone wont take that into consideration :P
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, let me echo this back real quick.

Don't be a whore, be yourself (unless yourself is a whore ^_^).

Don't rely on a gimmick, even if that is all you have (better luck next year).

If you were on a Mod, its not the Mod that will get you hired, its your experiences, your knowledge and the work that such an environment let you churn out.

Show a few stunning pieces rather than a portfolio of crap, and take several copies so that if you get mobbed you can have multiple people staring over each other's shoulders.

Take CDs and business Cards, or CD that -are- business Cards, so they walk away with something tangible.

Have fun, keep your eyes and ears and mind open so you learn, and don't get your hopes TOO high.

It that pretty much it?

Thank you all for your input so far.

Good to see you again Poop (he is an inspiration to all the little guys).

-Andrew B. Chason
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your advice, I got my Tickets last night, and I am getting my hotel and air-fare tonight.

Hope to see some of you there.

-Andrew B. Chason
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only slightly related: I Have seen the term, "CV", around here more and more, even when looking at the companies who are going to GDC. I have wracked my brain, and I am sure ones you tell it I will have a Duh, moment... But what is a CV?
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    curriculum vi·tae
    n. pl. curricula vitae Abbr. CV
    A summary of one's education, professional history, and job qualifications, as for a prospective employer.

non-American way of saying resumé. wink.gif
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    CV = curriculum vitae = resume

EDIT: D'oh.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    ehm, shoulda read the whole thread before posting..

Anyway, best advice is always work on your portfolio.

There's a huge shortage of qualified artists out there now, possible the worst the industry has experienced. If you don't get a job it's simple, you must get better.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, thank you all for that.

-Andrew B. Chason
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Blimey.

If I didn't know what a CV was, and I had the internet, I'd firstly go to Google and type "CV". I'd not start by going to a forum and asking.