Home General Discussion

Elysium's Oslo Adventure

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
I'm going to Oslo, Norway in less than 2 weeks.

It's an opportunity the company is giving only a select few from my department, QA, and I was picked. My co-workers and I will be staying in a nice 5 bedroom apartment for 3 months, all expenses paid.

We're being sent to work more closely with Funcom's development team. There's opportunity for advancement while we're there, which I may take.

I'm in a scramble to buy a laptop and better camera so I can stay in touch with my friends and family here at home. I'm not sure if I'll have time to participate in the Dominance War this year, but I'm going to try.

This is my first time flying, and leaving the country. So any advice is appreciated. blush.gif

Any polycounter's in the Oslo area?

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Lots of trolls...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Coming from the USA, be prepared to pay a lot for food in Norway smile.gif

I have a couple of Norwegian cousins who live/work around Oslo, I've been over there a few times myself, pretty nice place (although I preferred being out of the city and in the amazing mountains and fjords).
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    One of my best friends is from Oslo, I'll check with him what the best things to check out are smile.gif

If it were me, I'd say forget the laptop, when you get there go run away on a sail boat for 3 months with beautiful Scandinavians and wine.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trolls?

I've heard about the price of food. I'm trying to work something out with my roommates so we save money buying groceries, spend the rest on beer laugh.gif . I don't want to live on $10 a meal McDonald's food. Good thing I can cook.

Yeah, what are some good sites to check out, in and near Oslo? Picked up the laptop today. Sailing around the fjords with wine and beatiful Norwegian women would be great...but I'm there to work. :P
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    My brother lived there for about 6 months for his school and loved it, have fun man!!! I can ask him where are the nice spots if I catch him on the phone this weekend (he's in France, me in Canada, not easy...)
    and to echo MoP, he also told me that everything was really pricey(even compared to France).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When traveling outside the US this line seems to ease the minds of those that are apprehensive about Americans.
    "I'm from Canada"
    - Bring some movies and games for the flight.
    - Grab a pillow as soon as you get on the plane, or better yet bring your own.
    - Don't forget to tip, just because the US dollar isn't worth as much as it used to be doesn't mean you can brand us all as cheap skates. You don't have to tip much (remind them you're from Canada) but just enough to let them know you care. Hopefully they will remember the next time you come in and not clean out the rat traps in your food for being an American.

jk about the Anti-America crap, I hear Norway is still pretty friendly to us.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I told you this already, have an awesome time!!!!! bring your DS lite because the plane trip will be long!
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    My buddy says to check out Vigeland Park and the Munch Museum, Astrup Ferney Museum, Akerbrygge,Akershus Fortress, Blaa (great music club) and off course the Castle.

Thats what he says, hope you have a great few months over there.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hallo from Norway. laugh.gif

Thanks Penzer. I think I passed Vigeland Park on my way to work on the bus route this morning, and passed the Castle in a taxi on the way to a bar Saturday. Public transportation ftw! Good thing, because I've been drunk most of the weekend.

Norway rules!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    sounds like it was worth the trip! laugh.gif
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Hell yeah man enjoy your time in Norway,if your not connected back home it is your duty as an American to go after a tall blonde nordic beauty. Its in the constitution look it up. There still snow there?
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oslo is awesome innit? be sure to see the huge ski-jump thingy... its gigantic!
    (i was in oslo for 1 day only, all i remember is the ski-jump, the bus, and the ship back to denmark ) -_-!
    is it all snowy and cold?

and is that seriously in the american constitution?!
    well then: I pledge allegiance.......