Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Website Pimp

Hello

Long time no posts. Years really and busy years at that, but ive free time on my hands once again since im officially unemployed.

Im not hoping to get myself into Graphics as a career instead of a hobby so ive been working on my portfolio, and with the help of my friend Pete, we have a site up and running. Not 100% finished, but hes done a great job and given me the time to work on my cg work while he hammered on the site.

Anyways heres what we got.

http://www.zenpoly.com/

Needs more content and im working on that and we are workin on the loading speeds, crits are more than welcome and please tell me how it loads for you and if your on dial up, cable, or DSL.

Adam cool.gif

Replies

• MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    pretty cool! my only crit would be that the darth maul images are diffacult to see. He's wearing all black, so he should probably be on a lighter background so people can see the full extent of your handy-work.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Its a nice site - but you are not showing your art off very well.

Tiny tiny washed out thumbnails? Get the art to smack me in the face! It's a portfolio site, innit?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed with these guys - the site is nice, very original and memorable, but the way you're displaying your actual artwork is tremendously underwhelming - your website shouldn't overshadow your portfolio itself.

Make those thumbnails bigger and more obvious (users shouldn't have to hunt for them), and do what MAUL0r suggested with the Darth Maul renders, having him on a black background is killing his silhouette.

The models and artwork looks nice though, just needs to be more accessible and better presented.
    I'd say keep the site as it is, as far as possible, while just making the thumbnails much more visible and clickable.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty nice, but it loads hella slow for me. :S
  • Cheshire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, and update

The scrolls no longer roll down and so they show better and the how too text on each page was removed to take your focus off of the text.

http://www.zenpoly.com/index.html

Im pretty happy with it now. I just need more content!
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    You should recomend the best resolution for your site. For exemple "best view at 1024x768"
    My monitor its set to 1280x1024 and everything its to small and not centered. U could easily correct that.
    About the layout i think its very funny but u could arrange better the images of your models.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    Hey, checked out your site. Visually, the site is cool, but the shell distracts HUGELY from the content. I had to click around quite a bit just to see any work. It was almost painful to find your work samples, and that's a very bad thing for a portfolio site. In fact, difficult-to-find content is bad for any site. I had a site similar to yours years back, in that I wanted the whole site to feel like a game. Doing this made it hard to present my work, so I opted for a simple blog, and simply laid out portfolio. My site is definitely nothing special, but I share that with you, that *displaying your work* is what is important. Especially since it is the only content on the site. The fundamental problem is that the content is poorly presented.

So specific suggestions and crits... The way the thumbnails are laid out is too compact, having only three thumbnails at that size is almost an oxymoron. If you only display three, why not show much larger thumbnails? I would suggest making those much larger or having plenty more thumbnails to choose from. With only 3 thumbnails, the "Next and Previous" arrows are enough to make me leave the site right away (a little annoyed). Also, the way that the thumbnails are grayed out, and still have a bit of sepia tone even when they are highlighted doesn't help the viewer out at all. When you click on the next/prev buttons some of the thumbnails are the same, I get different results each time, that's annoying, and counter-productive. I agree with the Darth Maul comment. He needs either a mute or complimentary background. The site is also very colorful, which hurts the presentation of your work. A lot of your work looks very dull with the site behind it, you don't want that. There are viewer scripts that can overlay the rest of your site and help mute it out when a viewer is looking at an image. Though I would suggest muting the site elements anyway, as it is also hurting the viewing of thumbnails.

Well, I know that was kinda brutal, but I really think you can do a lot to present your work well. I hope it's helpful
  • Cheshire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The site is best viewed in 1024X768 and while id love it to be bigger for my monitor this is a good res for most users.

We will ad "best viewed" to the home page.

The way the site is set up is to avoid scrolling. Scrolling only replaces clicking, and this way everything should be onscreen to everyone who runs a larger res than 800.

The reason you see images over and over is that the content is not finished yet. Right now the site is set up to have 27 images per set so what you are seeing is just images that are added for now just as placeholders. Eventually it will roll around seemlesslly.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The site is the main focus (content should be), it’s slow, requires a plug-in, takes too long to find anything and most of the time that doesn’t work.

Need poly count numbers on the low poly, wires, flats, etc.

Keep it simple stupid. Name > position sought > contact information > resume > portfolio content, all on one page.

While it’s a memorable site, it’s not for your art. To me, this site says “Hire Pete to make a site” instead of “Hire me for my art”. I suggest completely redoing this site as a simple gallery.
  • Jon Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Jones polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Chris. I have no idea how much content there is on the site and I'm likely to miss a lot as a result of it. Don't hide it all. smile.gif
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    I think you should keep the splash page where you can select the area you want to go to, but from there it should link you to more of a structured design where you can see all images for that area on one page with big thumbnails. Have the buttons to the other pages somewhere at the top or something so you can then quickly get to any other area of the site.
  • 3D-j
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The site needs some optimization for those who are not blessed with good bandwith. It seems like you have coded it with some ancient html and flash. Try some css and get away from frames. Try using divs and flash. Design wise I think these guys have pretty much nailed the crit so I wont preach anymore.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a cool site, but not a great portfolio site. The site steals focus from the art =/ The art needs to be free flowing and not obscure tiny thumbnails. I really like the site as a site, but I just don't see it working well "right now" as a portfolio site unless you tweak it.

- Increase the number of thumbnails and the size. Move the left Chinese dog statue farther left, reduce the space between thumbs and make one standard brick spacer so it downloads quickly. If its small enough people won't notice. They should be looking at the thumbs not the space between em.
    - Make the pop up image click to close.
    - Include info such as polycount, texture size/format in the scroll to the right of the bigger thumbnail.
    - Give proper credit where credit is due, I'm not sure if you actually made the Beatrice model or just made a texture for it? I remember it being a community thing everyone was making textures for. Make sure you don't take credit if you didn't make it. If you did, then all is well.
    - Standardize your renders, make a simple scene and lighting set up that works well with almost any kind of character. It will help give uniformity to your site.

Put yourself in your next employers shoes. Which would you rather do;
    Click, art, click, art, click, art, you're hired. (see three pieces of art in 15sec)
    Or
    Click, click, click, squint, click, squint, click, art. (see one piece of art 3 different sizes in 15 sec)

I think you can keep the site memorable and still have it be functional. Lets face it if they have a lot of portfolios to sift thru they won't take the time clicking to hell and back.
  • Cheshire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "- Give proper credit where credit is due, I'm not sure if you actually made the Beatrice model or just made a texture for it? I remember it being a community thing everyone was making textures for. Make sure you don't take credit if you didn't make it. If you did, then all is well."

Yeah shes mine. smile.gif Im an old PCer fram way back, but its been some time since ive done much pimpin.

Anyways, thanks for the crits and Chris Holden, thanks for puting it in words that made sense to me, even if they did make me sick to my stomach. frown.gif After all we put alot of work into this the past few weeks.

Ive got some ideas to keep the site fun and more Work Orentated. But im off for the night so Petey try and call me later, but im prob out till the morning.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Images are way too small and your actual web design takes up too much screenspace, you should be showing off your art not your web design/flash skills.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Holy carp, man! Great to see you back on here, man. I kept thinkin that the name Cheshire was familiar to me (not just the Alice reference).

Wasn't till I saw Beatrice that I finally remembered ya. haha. I sure had fun helpin you out with the unwrap with you.
  • Cheshire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Holy carp, man! Great to see you back on here, man. I kept thinkin that the name Cheshire was familiar to me (not just the Alice reference).

Wasn't till I saw Beatrice that I finally remembered ya. haha. I sure had fun helpin you out with the unwrap with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man you changed your name though, what was it before? (feels age setting in)
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I was... KMan.
    *_*
  • Cheshire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I knew it! Helped with Darth Maul too, way back when i very first started modelling.

Great to hear from you.
  • ZeroCartin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroCartin polycounter lvl 16
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was... KMan.
    *_*

[/ QUOTE ]
    O_____________O!!!

laugh.gif A2wesome! hjahahahh, great memories ^__^ remember me? q3manga! heheh smile.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I think the look and animation of the shell are awesome. Very Ragdoll-KungFu-ish. As for functionality, I'm with everyone else. It's hard to see the art! When I went to the galleries I thought they were empty, because I could barely see those images on the bottom.
  • Cheshire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK guys Bumpity Bump Website Update!

Shes pretty much done, but im still for crits. All im doing now is working on content.

And yes, i rmember everyone from the old old days. smile.gif
  • Cheshire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Double Bump blush.gif

Any feedback on the changes?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Much, much better presentation of images now. I can see exactly how much content you have, and what it is I'm clicking on smile.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    good to see you back Adam laugh.gif been a long time since we made those Jedi Knight 2 models!
  • Cheshire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mop smile.gif

Spacemonkey! awsome model btw on your sig i saw it at CG and was stunned. Great stuff good to see ya again.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    not sure if this has been mentioned but you had an error on your contact / info page. you said you were looking for a job in graphics desing but it should read graphics design. I know this doesn't seem like a big deal but it's attention to detail which can make or break some games, models, jobs, etc.

Loaded pretty fast on my connection but i would work more on how you present your models.
  • Cheshire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    not sure if this has been mentioned but you had an error on your contact / info page. you said you were looking for a job in graphics desing but it should read graphics design. I know this doesn't seem like a big deal but it's attention to detail which can make or break some games, models, jobs, etc.

Loaded pretty fast on my connection but i would work more on how you present your models.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool ty fixed!
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    The presentation of content is much better!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Much improved!

One thing, your main page (index) is meaningless. I'd replace it with your contact/info page as the new index or just straight to your 3d work.
  • fweezah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fweezah polycounter lvl 11
    The new layout for the thumbnails is much easier on the brain. When you roll over the images that link to the 3d pages, and the arrow hits it, I laugh every time!