Home Technical Talk

NEX modeling tools for Maya

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
http://draster.com/component/page,shop.p...com_virtuemart/

Nice toolset from what I can see... I like the focus on stacking functionality and reducing keyboard roaming or popup/panel access. The quad draw looks sweet too. Anyone using this? Comments?

Replies

• fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    I tried it out and liked what I saw before the free trial ended. The soft selection tools were much better than the sculpt / paint tools in Maya.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    looks really cool. got most of the useful features from polyboost in there..i have been half heartedly switching to maya just to open up my job opportunities.. would like to try this out sometime. looks like it would be awesome for retopology. good stuff
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    the ability to choose any coordinate system for translating geometry in sounds neat. haven't heard about a general approach like this since mirai. other tools are far too restricted and narrow minded in this regard.

anyway it's a maya plugin. as such it is version- and platform dependant. will they update it for every new version of maya to come out? are they supporting all the platforms? will scenes that contain nex nodes be compatible with vanilla maya installations?

generally, i find plugins in maya rather impractical, to be honest - as long as you are depending on someone else's support, that is. byron's poly tools anyone?
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    As far as I know, they've gone out of their way to make sure that NEX doesn't leave any extra crap in your scene files.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    thomasp makes some good points. Great plugin, and it's clearly needed but I never feel 100% comfortable depending on plugins, I must say. Autodesk should buy this and incorporate it fully within Maya 9 (or in harsher reality I suspect they'd just rip it off).

If you read the thread on CGTalk, I think they say they'll update for each Maya revision and are working on a Mac port. I'm having some issues with this screwing up my mesh's at the moment, which is frustrating.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Can't say I've ever needed to use any of the tools in that thing, it's just a rehash of all the standard maya tools but with buttons that look like max. 99% useless if you are a long time maya user but I would imagine this would be useful if you are forced to switch to Maya against your will and want the exact same functionality as what you are used to in max. Also I don't like using plugins or after market hot keys as part of my normal workflow.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    The only thing I thought looked really useful was the quad-draw thingy. Very useful for building the game model after builing a high-rez in Mudbox.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Finally got to try this for myself. Really like the quad draw tool. I'm definitely adding it to my toolset.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Ya I really like quad draw as well. Its very similar to the Polyboost plugin for Max. Glad Maya has it now.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    Im loving max and polyboost too much- I just reimport my models into maya after I am done. Though I would love Maya to finally get some decent modelling tools I suspect its going to be like this for another couple of generations and I am on the 'plugins are risky' camp too.

I really wish I knew enough Mel to be able to add decent edge cloning and bridge tools to maya myself. frown.gif
  • imurpet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    May be the url dosent work correctly at these days.But I really wanna try this tool,is there any other url?