Home General Discussion

I got a new puppy!

PfhorRunner
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
This is Shelby, she's 3 months old. She's 1/2 Australian Shepherd, 1/4 Lab, and 1/4 Rottweiler. Currently she's really melo, but still playful at times. By the looks of her paws, she's gonna be pretty big.

th_DSC_0003.jpg
th_DSC_0004.jpg

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on possible toys? Hopefully something not too distructive, and that'll keep her entertained. smile.gif

Replies

• doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    very cute - sounds like a good blend of breeds. Please be sure to socialize her plenty and train her. Then she'll grow up to love people and dogs smile.gif

Toys wise be sure to get a Kong, but anything will do for toys really. There's lots of fun to be had with training games like hide and seek.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    awwwwww!

I miss have a dog, I wasn't allowed a dog when we moved into our house, since i'd be the only one taking them out wink.gif so i settled for a cat who thinks he's a dog. lol
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course we'll socialize her. I live fairly close to a dog run, and directly inbetween two state parks (both about 2-3 blocks away). She'll get plenty of excercise, and im sure make plenty of friends smile.gif. Kongs are those 3 tier hard rubber toys, right?

We're going to train her well, and have already started to try games like hide and seek tongue.gif
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I can tell you that my dog loves killing toys with squeakers in them. Gives her a nice satisfied feeling when her victim squeals in pain I guess. :P
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Keep rawhide bones on hand at all times for an instant pacifier (at least for my dog).

Also, keep a bag of baby carrots around for treats instead of store bought treats to keep her from getting chubby. The vet told me that giving them one of those store-bought treats is like giving a kid a full candy bar.

And btw, that is an awesome looking dog. Mutts are the best pals in the world. =]
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i want one!

actually no ... i'm planning on getting a woof very soon but we know we can't get a puppy, which is a shame. They've usually got massive hands.

to polycount : more of this sort of thing please, and less of that frankly creepy cat-love
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    That's an awesome puppy Pfhor!
    Very cute.
    Good luck when her seasons start kicking in laugh.gif

I'd pretty much go for anything that's rubber or softer, anything slightly hard is gonna do damage around the house..
    Dogs do like stuff that makes some kinda squeek, they play for reaction.
    When she sits down and focuses on ripping them all to shreds, it's pretty much the coming of age where toys are no longer needed... But bones are.. In abundance.

till1_s.jpg

That's my pedigree dobermann when he was a little pup (3 months), an absolute kingkong hurricane despite being the most innocently handsome dog in the world (as far as I'm concerned ofcourse wink.gif ).

He's exactly a year old now, is the size of a horse (literally) and is still the most hyper-active bulldozer of a dog. Walking him around town = very entertaining.
    His paw completely overlays my hand.. scary shit confused.gif

Dogs are quite easily one of the best companions you can ever have, loyal to the core and equally as protective.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, being protective isn't one of her strong suits yet. When walking her around my neighborhood, we ran into another pup (about 5 months) golden retriever. They looked at each other, the golden barked, and she bolted for my legs. Cowering behind me warily peaking out... what a wus! ^.^ but i still love her. (not to mention my last dog's list of fears included being scared of the dark, heights, and citrus fruits... also didn't know how to fetch(Golden retriever =[))

She's in the middle of losing her baby teeth right now, so she seems more interested in the softer toys (rope, stuffed animals, etc.) but i'll keep the advice in mind, thanks! (oh, and the carrots work awesome!)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I would agree on the Kong btw... my dog had one and she loved it. We need to replace it, the old one got lost for a while and by the time we found it, some nasty stuff had grown inside it (from some left over cheese most likely).

One thing our vet suggested was to use an old stuffed animal. You place it in their cage with them and it helps them feel like they have a companion. I don't know if it made her feel better, but I know she'd always walk out of her crate with it in the morning (she'd also give it a good beating wink.gif).

Something to play tug of war with is always a winner, like a good rope. One suggestion is to avoid using old clothes though (like a sock). My old dog was raised using socks for a tug-of-war toy and he ended up thinking it was a game to bite your clothes (while you were wearing them). Then of course it would become a game to give it back to you. So you'd be fighting the dog every time he got a loose piece of clothing.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Animals, everything that squeeks and make sounds are bound to make them happy. At least all the cats and dogs i grew up with loved them.

They will drive you mad at times though smile.gif

Notman: Heh that stuffed animal thing is a pretty nice idea. We have a small stuffed animal at home (a german shepard), you know the ones with small bodies and big heads? smile.gif

Well, our real german shepard likes it. She flips it upside down and what not just for the heck of it when she walks by.

EDIT: A small warning about those rawhide bone things. If unlucky pieces of it can get caught in the throat of the dog. Happened a few times to our dogs, now they get to gnaw on cowbones (and other bones) instead. Works just as well smile.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the rawhides are a big no-no. It's sad because so many raw-hide toys exist. Small pieces can get caught in their digestive tract also.

Pig's ears are good also as an alternative
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    I got a pure bred mini-aussie named Burke he's 9 months old now. I love him to death, although he can be a lot of work.
    Aussies are an AWESOME breed...INCREDIBLY smart/clever. Needless to say Burke smoked all the other dogs in his puppy training class. Keep your dog busy...aussies LOVE to be busy and have jobs. Chances are your dog will learn tricks incredibly fast. The kong is a must, shove peanut butter in it too. Depending on how much aussie is in your dog might mean she's a herder...with the possibility that she might nip at you, or other people's ankles. My friend's aussies would herd anything and everything, including your car when you tried to park it on their driveway! My dog doesn't herd too much although he likes to keep my wife and myself very close together when we go to the park. We're crate training our dog...works wonders for potty training, and giving the dog their little den area to rest. If you will be leaving her alone for long periods I'd recommend turning the TV on for ambient sound, i hear that can calm them when they are alone.
    Best of luck with your pup!
    B
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    AWWWWW!!! She is so freakin adorable!

I want a cute puppy someday. But I am going to make sure I have the time to commit to it first. Right now I'm sticking with guinea pigs. smile.gif
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes... She likes to herd. Not excessively like you mentioned, but a fair amount if you take her for longer walks. It's interesting, and kind of annoying. But it's part of her, you know? who am I to make it a "bad" thing?... Anyways, to keep her from doing it, we've decided to give her the task of carrying her ball with her while we walk. Working pretty well so far.

She's super clever, and catches on real fast. Potty training is going really well so far, and the only problem she's having with it right now, is with herself trying to figure out if she has to go... She's kinda Potty-ADD right now, where she goes to the door, scratches, and wimpers a bit, then instantly runs off to chew something... only to find her peeing on the carpet two minutes later. Tricksy!

Right now, as i said, is going through somewhat of a teething phase, and is kind of testing her grounds by chewing on everything. But she's a quick learner, so she'll try something twice, and if we shun her both times, she'll move on to the next thing. We ended up giving in and giving her an apple to chew on. It was cold (felt good for the teeth), tasted good, and kept her attention for a whole 30 minutes! smile.gif

Crate training isn't going so well... She's already found a den-like area (behind our free standing un-used wood burning stove) and doesn't seem to want to switch over. The problem is, she can get back there now, but will probably have issues next month ^.^, we'll see how long that lasts.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get one of these: http://www.hartz.com/Our%20Products/Browse.asp?ActionID=7&SKUDetail=3270099005

My dog loves it... they hold up well and my dog chews the crap out of it.