Home Technical Talk

3ds Max and rig?

I was wondering if there's any good tutorials out there for quick rigging in 3ds max, and which does everyone prefer using CS biped or just bones? or what ever else anyone using that seems to work the well and with quickness.

Replies

• ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    biped + skin is the fastest
  • ZEROrhythm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well if you have a premade bone that works well also , then you can just import the skin with a few adjustments. But yes right now I'm using biped and skin and it's kind or a pain when you have more than the ordinary biped a lot of mods are need to be made on biped bones in order for it to be efficient. I also tried CAT. I really like it, but just a pain with getting it into a computer with out CAT.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    biped+skin is by far fastest, but may not be very flexible imo. I prefer a straight up custom rig any day just because I can customize it to my needs.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    isn't biped/physique faster than using biped/skin? Granted skin will give you a few more options and more flexibility but for simple standard characters physique should go be really fast and efficient.

Personally I don't like physique and I'm not a big fan of biped unless you tweak it pretty heavily, all that "speed and easy set up" come at some pretty high compromises.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    physique can be faster for initial weight setup (envelopes). but for the tweaking part it's a pain to work with. or do you mean "faster" as in playback speed? no idea, not much of a noticable difference probably.

biped may be limited and has rather crappy curves but i don't think you can beat it for quickly animating a character halfway convenient. not with some easy to break custom rig and a huge interface floater that get's into the way.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with both you two, Physique is a lot easier to get up to speed for people not very familiar with the system (as it was for me at least), but offers little control in many cases in comparison to Skin. I wouldn't expect anyone's first rig to take full advantage of either systems so it's just a matter of spending 10 minutes with each and seeing which you progress farther with result-wise...

I also don't know if Skin (I can't remember at least) has the oh so easy copy/paste structure that Physique has, which is extremely useful for characters and works jiffy quick after rigging one side if the character is symmetrical.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah it does..has a whole mirroring function that seems to be working forme pretty well so far....using max 8 by the by