Home General Discussion

"Crackdown"

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
Anyone here download the Crackdown demo yet? I pretty much can’t stand GTA themed games due to the whole thug gang thing, I tent to like games that take me out of the real world but Crackdown is a riot, I've been playing it all weekend and can't get enough. When I first saw this game at E3 I couldn't stomach the pastel blue tint on everything art style but I'm glad to see that the art direction was pulled together nicely, now I can’t imagine it looking any other way. I can't wait for it to be released so I can grab a copy, awesome job by Realtime Worlds!

Marcus Dublin

Artist – Kaos Studios

Replies

• Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    love it too, hopefully you can take your characters abilities a bit further in the full game, there's always that jump thats just a little to far away.
    disappointed with the lack of normal looking characters aside from the black guy, though. the asian guy starts off normal but ends up looking ancient, and the rest are just ugly, mostly down to the ridiculous tattoos.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Played this demo with a friend for 4 30 minute sessions the other day and had a BLAST. Nothing is more satisfying than picking up the car your mate is driving and hurling them into oncoming traffic or the occasional gas station.

I love to just play with games like this, and rarely finish them. The coop alone is enough to sell me on it, as I've craved a real open environment coop experience like this with the GTA style gameplay(Multi Theft Auto is good, but being a hack, it has its flaws). I'll probably pick it up either way, and a Halo 3 beta invite could never hurt to be thrown in the mix.

P.S. I don't know how many people are doing it, but being the Invite a friend isn't working, what I did is had my him set up a filter and then set my settings to the same. The first few times this worked flawlessly, and saw his hosted game right away. For the other two, however, it took quite a few times and a bit of cursing that they didn't include this in the demo (maybe it's not working yet wink.gif).
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm digging it.

I'll definatley buy this when it comes out.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    i have been trying to download the demo and it always starts over once it hits 92%
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, I've downloaded the demo but haven't had time to play it due to the new baby in the family. We at Valkyrie actually made about 50 of the cars for Real Time Worlds, and I was wondering how they looked? How about the damage on them? That took quite a bit of effort on our end, and I'd like to know if it was a worthwhile effort.

I'm pretty excited about this game. For once I got to work on a game that I'd actually be interested in playing.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I'm loving this game. I must have played it 10 times atleast since it came out. I only wish the full game was out sooner.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    They look great Ryno! The cars are all very consistent in looks to the rest of the world; they fit right in! The handling is another story, as it takes a good deal of getting used to and found myself crashing into quite a few curbs trying to make turns at first. The cars blowing up is probably one of the most satisfying parts of the game visually, I absolutely love it. Just running into cars is quite nice, though they all feel so Burnout-esque that I keep expecting that type of reaction upon colliding with another vehicle.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent. Maybe I'll round up a few of the ones that I worked on and pimp them.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I've been looking forward to this game quite a bit, I'll be checking out the demo soon. The one thing I'm wondering about it is, will the game have well-acted mission cutscenes like GTA or Saint's Row? I have yet to see a video of this game show anything about the characters or story.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    There are no missions really, or story.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    There are no missions really, or story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of the demo or the full game coming soon? The sandbox action might be fun for a few in the demo, but just running around the city with no point to the game?
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    there's no traditional missions. going off the demo, you've got an overall objective, take out the crime lord, and then you've got a bunch of extra missions you can do to make things easier. so you can take out the guy who runs the gym which keeps the boss' thugs in shape so they're weaker and take out the guy who supplies most of the thugs so there's fewer of them at the crime lords base, and so on.

there might be an overall story, but i doubt it's going to be like the gta games usually have.