Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

DMT BoBo

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
shotgun polycounter lvl 19
Just gotta say I went a little bit commercial with all the flashy layout, sorry about that, I'm still old school at heart.

I tried a few different techniques while working on the skin, so things look pretty messy to me, I'm not happy with the design and other elements.. but w/e. it was good practice.

dmtbobo2.jpg

dmtbobo1.jpg

oh flatz:
dmtbobo_body.jpg
dmtbobo_wing.jpg

Replies

• Erol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    I really like it--nice work!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hm jo.. don´t know whats your problem with it.. i´v think you´v looked at it too long wink.gif

realy like the colors and this "overdrawn" design smile.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm... I don't see any images... ?
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, gamespy are acting weird, should be fixed now.

btw model was done by bobotheseal, thought I should mention it for the protocol.
    also credit for aesir on the vagina idea. no ref used laugh.gif

rollin: possibly, yes, but I still think there is much to improve.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Hot dag on dude. I love the design and colors, but as far as faked volume, that's THE single most successful texture I've ever seen in any game, from any artist. You come *correct* with the painter skills.

Really interesting surface treatment and color choices too.

poop.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i honestly thought there was a normalmap there somewhere...

geeze thats hot.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! My favourite part is the eye and forehead area. Great work Eyal. smile.gif
  • polybrained
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polybrained polycounter lvl 17
    pretty sweet version of the ol imp guy. the face looks like a demonic boar. You did a good job mixing the organic with the metallic parts. And sorry ive gotta say it but is the penis "ribbed for her pleasure?" ;p
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    love the color and volume information ! top knotch !
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can i buy some drugs from you?
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    What poop and gir said. Very nice definition, and I love the rib cage treatment.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I would call this pretty much perfect smile.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome. A few problems with the seams though, like the back of the neck, shoulders, all around the hips. Loverly lighting.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    very nice work shotgun. it's very oldschooly. thazgood.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    it's very oldschooly.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's funny though, is even though it should technically be called "old-school", the texture is loads better in terms of execution and art style, than the majority of "next-gen" games. Multiple passes and per pixel lighting don't make the art better. It's about skill of the artist, and the level of execution of the asset, and the vision of whoever is in charge of the style. Those three things are infinately more important than engine technology in my opinion.

Sorry for the derail Shotgun, Can I say I like it again?

poop.gif
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    thanks shotgun for keeping it alive
    seeing all this normal mapped crap from E3 screenshots makes me shudder, the good art is hard to find
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    looks trippy wink.gif great job man, i like it.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    really neat shotgun smile.gif

I'm not sure I'd say "old school" so I second t3h poopstah.

I also have to say that the volume and lighting are really perfectly executed, I love the way you paint backlights, that really gives a lot of detail to the model.

great job again shotgun, I'm definitely fan.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Impressive. Very well executed and original, i also thought there was some normal mapping in there!
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    nice one shotty.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    nothing much to add but 'sweet!' :] great lighting
  • ebit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebit polycounter lvl 17
    Wow. Going to reiterate on how incredible the lighting is. I had more fun going through and picking out every detail on this than I did on any Dominance War entry. Whatever techniques you experimented with I hope you continue to implement them in the future.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys, you made my heart warm today smile.gif

mop: glad you liked the eyes, I dunno, I really wasn't sure about them. This was an alternate version I tried at the end, whaddya think?
    dmtbobo_head.jpg

poop: i'll have to shy down and remind you of some very talented friends (one in particular!) who do it and do it better than both of us together.. but thanks a lot bud, i appreciate it.

irritant: thank you. dmt gets my full attention.

vahl: thanks a lot bro, i dig ur style.. still waiting to see that tetris-man fully designed wink.gif

eq: DMT is present in our bodies 24/7 and is accessible through meditation and internal practice.

jon_warner: click here - http://www.alexgrey.com/ - if you want to see true "DMT art". Maybe look at Andrew Jones' stuff.. that guy is way out there.

polybrained: hi welcome.. ye you got it right. Originally it was more prominant but ogro_fix wisely suggested it was too bright.. so I changed it. But yea, I mean, I wouldn't just blatantly post a nude penis on teh internet. I mean, seriously, come on!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Can i buy some drugs from you?

[/ QUOTE ]
    oh-oh eq, comments like that can get you an angry Pm from shotgun.

Seriously though, i quite like the lighting and colour on this thing, and some of the painterly stuff like the drippy bits on his sides.
    The wings are my least favourite part, but probably just because i want them to be more disgusting looking

oh, i like the alternative eyes slightly more, they seem to just bore into your skull.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work man, I love the outrageousness of it (and of course the lighting, execution, all the other stuff everyone has mentioned) Its totally you. A whole menagerie of your interdimensional wierdos would truely be something to behold.

Ok crit time...since the execution is near perfect, for the style, I wonder about the character. There is alot of detail on him, but very little of it tells us who this guy is and where he fits into his world. I know I'm reaching a little bit here, but its so damn well painted I figured I'd move on and crit the concept a wee bit. Seriously though, I love your detail work, but often times I find myself wondering what it is. It floats around somewhere between tech and organic, which is great, but what purpose does it serve? who put it there? what is it made from? I think if you put some more organization behind your conceptualization your work would really advance to (dun dun dun DAAAA) "the next level" A whole world where this sort of thing is the norm. Crazy organically grown, flesh-metal penis-vaginas are attached to anything at the drop of a hat, while triple mouthed emperors decry multiple, contradictory edicts that make total sense to their followers.

On a slightly derailing side note: I recently watched a DVD interview with Alex Grey called, "ARTmind" that's great. For some reason I expected Grey to be very serious or dark or something...I think mostly because of his art, and some pictures of him I've seen. However on the DVD he's a funny, pretty bubbly guy...and totally unafraid to talk about LSD and DMT. Infact he mentions he met his wife at a party the first time he took LSD...I think he even said she was the only other one tripping...funny how people find eachother.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    shotgun- totally dude. i've seen alex gray's stuff before, and i just totally love it. interesting how i get this bizzare sense of empathy when i look at his work that gives me this feeling that he's got a few things figgured out smile.gif some people are just honest i guess.

oh, and i like both sets of eyes. they both have a different feel heh.
  • WMaker3030
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WMaker3030 polycounter lvl 17
    Rockin concept and colors. I like the red and orange accents. keep it up bro.
  • Chi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chi polycounter lvl 17
    At first glance it looks like he's wearing a mask, very future/tech like, awesome painting. Good job.
  • kongni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kongni polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for making the DMT ref smile.gif
    I think I had a conversation with this character in glossolalia the last time I was on "the other side" wink.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Doh, now I see why Poop was raving about this last week.

It's the best texture map I've ever seen made by *any* drug crazed Israeli living in Florida evar!

Seriously though man, beautiful work. Call it old skool If you will, but with handheld gaming booming and plenty of other applications, painting faked volume to this level of quality is hardly on its way out.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz: really? i don't see any lubed dildos around, except- o well, nevermind. well if poop said so - better leave it alone, because he wouldn't laugh.gif

oh and fuck you. we israelites are a proud people, damn right biotch.
    look at ariel sharon, that dirty old bastard can't even breath right today but so long as he ""lives"" nobody's gonna fuck with us.

MightyPea: wait till i call the Mosad

John_Warner: aah.. just honest! i like that.

Chi: now it really could be a mask, couldn't it? wink.gif thanks.

kongni: cared to tell us about the visit, so long as you brought it up? smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    ariel sharon likes teh cake!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dear Sir or Madam,

I've noticed something odd that I can tell you honestly disturbs me. This peice and all of your works for that matter seem to have a distinct lack of jewfro. If you think that a person in such a position as yourself could go around causing this kind of injustice and get away with it, you my friend are sadly mistaken.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry, I will do my best to remedy this scandelous situation.

forgot to post these in case anyone is interested - wing steps and booty steps

daz: oh yes! he does..
    i think our avatar likes it too.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Looking awesome!
    Kinda like Bitmap Brothers taken to the next level.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Can i get up that thread please? awesome steps, Shotgun, and awesome piece at all
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    sexy calves.

amazing job man. really top-notch!
  • Michael Knubben
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    I like far more this eyes u show now. The have more life IMO. Great texture anyway. Interesting inbetweenlegs XD wink.gif

LOL now i see that is gravediggering haha.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    hooray, a proper artist at last
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    At last? This was half a year ago.
  • tremulant
    Options