Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Nazi SS update

whats up. here is a nazi with a mp40 I finally finished. I couldnt decide on a pose so i kept it simple. any suggestions?

nazi1.jpg

Replies

• Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, u have catch nice german characteristic thing, blue eyes and angry mimic. Really like the chosen race.
    Maybe this black color u shoud brighten a bit ' cos u losing the details IMHO.
    Grat work anyway.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i dunno, he seems very stiff , his hands and arms seem to be bend/twitched in a surreal way. I can also see that the materials are a bit rushed, or at least they read like so. His face is cool , but the texture seems a bit washed out. Mind posting the flats ?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    The shadowing on his face could use some love. Seems very harsh. The eyes could also use some details in the white areas. He also seems too skinny for those forearms/hands.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's off to a good start, would it be possible to see more views, maybe a wire overlay and some texture sheets =0

Crits:
    - there is a highlight around his neck where it meets the collar. I suspect this is because they are joined and part of the same smoothing group when the normal map was rendered? You might want to detach it and move the neck down and attach it lower on the collar.
    - The helmet is pretty angular and I bet you could shave out enough polys from some other place to round it out properly.
    - I see texture seams on the arms you might want to address those. I find that if you have big viens running down the arms those make good places to hide seams =)
    - His belt looks like gravity does not effect it. push and sag it a bit in places to give it more of a used look.
    - The pants seam to be lacking any kind of detail such as pockets, a fly and seams. I'm not an expert on WW2 gear but I'm pretty sure sweats where not standard issue. =P
    - The eyes are too bright and I would stay away from using baby blue and bright white. I would imagine a darker blue and a light desaturated pink/orange might work better. Look at some photos and use the color picker to come up with some colors that will work.

I'm sure someone who as worked more closely with WW2 Nazi uniforms will be along shortly to address any issues there might be with the authenticity of uniform.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeah the whites of an eyeball are rarely white,, specialy in photos where they are shadowed by the eyelid and brow i usual use a slightly lighter skintone color,, maybe with a tinge of pink or yellow
  • SneakyP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments. this is my first character I know its not perfect but I think its ok. I'll post some different angles, wireframe, and tpages in a bit.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I couldnt decide on a pose so i kept it simple. any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not so much simple as completely stiff and lifeless smile.gif How about googling soldier, guard or sentry for some pose reference?

The model and materials need a bit of work. (the helmet almost looks more WW2 U.S than German to me) But you seem happy with it and I don't get the sense that you're truly looking for critique.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Or have a look at Daz's soldier for a good reference of a natural pose smile.gif
  • SneakyP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha yea man he is stiff as a board. laugh.gif im gonna go back and work on the pose then Ill post some pix. believe me I love to hear my shit get bashed, so then I can try to improve it. I've just worked on this so long I'm over it you know?
  • SneakyP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok here are the renders and diffuse tpages (i know its wrong). thanks guys for the input.
    0.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dkorch polycounter lvl 17
    well his pose makes it better here, but its still pretty stiff. personally I would really push those hips forward more and give him some more lean going back like he is really forcing to hold on the gun as he unloads...then put his back foot a little farther and tweeked out more. A great way to start a pose man is just taking what you have in your head, and just push it to a ridiculous amount, then bring it back in to more realistic version. and for god sake go stand in a mirror and pose for your self and see what you would really do...would you stand like that if you were a Nazi, holding a gun to someone?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Holy shit, that guy has one serious look on his face.
  • SneakyP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha yea he is dead serious....so I'm not really liking my lighting setup. It isn't realistic. anybody have any pointers on a lighting setup in max?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Holy shit, that guy has one serious look on his face.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's a nazi with a gun on his face... i thought that wpould make him happy .lol.
    joking.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    his eyes need to be waaaaaay darker.

add in a little shadow fakery along the top of them as well
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paint over for the eyes.
    SSEyes.gif

- The scale of the pieces in the UV Layout is off. The eye could be much smaller, about 70% smaller actually and still retain the same lvl of detail. Pieces like the chest should be much larger and should take up roughly half the space on one of the flats.
    I am very tempted to suggest mirroring the back of the head and scale the face up more. Since it looks like you mirrored the legs I guess mirroring on this model is ok? But I know that can cause nasty seams especially with normal maps.

Paint overs of the UV Layouts:
    Face & parts sheet
    Torso and Legs sheet
    I suggest unwrapping the arm bands in straight strips or as close to as possible to avoid the jaggie anti-aliasing.

- I would also suggest not painting on a white background but gray instead. Your eyes tend to over compensate when you work on stark white, think of it like snow blindness. What you end up with is high contrast textures because the white is throwing your perception of the colors off. If you paint on black it tends to have the opposite effect and things don't have contrast. It's almost like seeing in the dark your eyes adjust and you are able to see contrast that won't be visible on the model.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Dolph lundgren the nazi. smile.gif
    c15j6qls60r64p501ez32k87.jpg
  • kukk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kukk polycounter lvl 17
    A Really cool guy (not Lundren)! It instantly reminded me of a poem I learned at school:

The Happy Warrior

His wild heart beats with painful sobs,
    His strain'd hands clench an ice-cold rifle,
    His aching jaws grip a hot parch'd tongue,
    His wide eyes search unconsciously.

He cannot shriek.

Bloody saliva
    Dribbles down his shapeless jacket.

I saw him stab
    And stab again
    A well-killed Boche.

This is the happy warrior,
    This is he...
  • Pedro Amorim
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Your uv's are really inefficient. The face should take up more room than the sides and back of the head. Especially since he will have his helmet on so much
  • SneakyP