Home General Discussion

Virtua fighter 5 screenies

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't look as polished as I would have hoped, they still have some time =)
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Wow that looks awful.

poop.gif
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    It's a 3D fighting game, what did you expect? Name one with decent graphics, other than SC. And I still think Tekken looks like ass. Especially Virtua Fighter. It's never been cutting edge in terms of graphics.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the review doesnt seem to think so :P
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    It's also a year old arcade game, isn't it?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i love the way they're still using the name Virtua fighter. No other moniker could conjure up the required image of one of those 3D interactive multimedia experiences thats just like virtual cd-rom cyberspace. All the kids are into it, you squares
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wow that looks awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's a 3D fighting game, what did you expect? Name one with decent graphics, other than SC. And I still think Tekken looks like ass. Especially Virtua Fighter. It's never been cutting edge in terms of graphics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think Tekken looks like ass? Tekken 5 pushed the limits of the PS2 and I think it looks sexy.

tekken-5-3.jpg
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    They've shown a lot of VF5 (gameplay) in various 1up videos, and it looks waaaay better than those screenshots. The quality of those screenshots is terrible.

(not saying it's the best looking game ever made, but it doesn't look bad)
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    The characters have the same blocky looks and moves they've have since TTT. It's like 'Oh New Tekken, lets subdivide the models ftw!' The backgrounds are less than innovative, and some of the choices they've made in the past for character portraits are strange. Tekken 4 Xuing-whatever chick looked like she was hit in the face with salmon.

lingxiaoyu_1.jpg
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    OMFG welcome to 1992 prerender world.

Flavour of the day - ~cheese~
    (bring your own spork)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motz: wait, what?
    I think she looks fairly normal there. And i think Tekken always looks fairly good, even though it may not be 'innovative' about anything. Proper gameplay matched with good graphics... who the fuck's complaining?
    Comparing the latest tekken to these screenshots should show a bit of a gap in quality, at the very least, right?

Since we're posting pictures without much of a reason:
    charles1.jpg
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    I guess my point was that 3d fighting games don't neccisarily get the same treatment as other genre's in terms of art quality. I'm sure most stick to the same skeletons from previous versions and mold the new model around it, making the model look more blocky and disproportionate then it needs to be. Guess I just dont like the style. That shot of Xia bothers me for some reason, they were trying to show her age and guess puberty hit her wrong. It's just opinion, it's a forum right? I was just agreeing that 3D fighting games are lacking in art quality I know the teams are capable of.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah but on the opposide side of things I know that one of my dreams would be to work on a fresh fighting game franchise to be able to start from scratch and go crazy!

Back on topic - I saw a few vids of VF5 some time ago and it looked okay, but still it makes no excuse for the color palette the team used on some characters. I just don't get it! The blue on that ninja is like a flashback to days of the first FMW CG cinematics seen on the ps1, like in Resident Evil2 and the likes.

Funny how even award-winning studios had difficulties on their first steps with 'nextgen' and ended up with plasticpoo characters. Kinda like if art direction disappeared under the pressure of an uncontrolled tech... Crazy but happened/s quite often I bet.

I recently had a professional artist telling me "oh when we dont have time, we just slap a uniform 50% grey on the specular map". Snap, some preconceived ideas are going to be hard to kill!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah but on the opposide side of things I know that one of my dreams would be to work on a fresh fighting game franchise to be able to start from scratch and go crazy!

[/ QUOTE ]

QFE! That'd be awesome!!!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    WTF are you talking about it has lensflare and motion blur
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19

VF5 + naysayers =
    virtua-fighter-5.jpg

I've been playing VF5 for months in the arcades on the LINDBERGH system, plays really well in 1080p. The amount of bullshit comments here is staggering! Unless you've actually played it, in the flesh, save your criticism. The characters are all normal mapped in probably the most subtle and sexy way I've ever seen. The environments are hyper detailed, hundreds of costume changes for the characters, funny bits, sad bits, new moves a-plenty.

Those screenshots are about 100 years old.

They also had it running at TGS back in what, september?!

you guys are really behind the times. This game is sex on a stick. And probably the only reason to buy a PS3.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Virtua Fighter never grew on me. I tried it out when VF4 came out for the PS2 I played it for a while and learned a few of the characters.
    Then I played Tekken. To me, Tekken makes "more sense." It might not be as technical as Virtua Fighter... but the simplicity of the actions is what draws me.

Of all the 3d fighters (and there aren't that many) Virtua Fighter, Tekken, and Soul Calibur are easily at the very top.

Christ, if you guys think VF5 looks like shit... then what's Mortal Kombat Armageddon? Absolute failure? Hahahaha

And not to be a dick, but it's not as if many of you CAN DO BETTER. Ouch.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah Hawk that's exactly the problem - as a non player I can't tell and I am bound to believe what I am seing on published screenshots and videos. Which brings the question of, how old these screenshots are (100y or more!), what platform they were taken from, and how ('official' 1080 screens versus video card aquisition aso).

The fact is, that screenshot you linked to makes me want to play the game badly, while this http://media.1up.com/media?id=3175184&type=lg seriously makes me want to run away from it. Considering that it is said to be from the PS3 port I'm bound to believe it is from the actual final product...

Maybe online press is to blame here then. Ha!
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    http://gamevideos.com/video/id/8074
    Use the download link to the right of the video player to get direct feed footage at 720p resolution.

It's made of sex and win.

Some of the environments are a little lacking compared to others. The street one with all the puddles on the ground is drop dead gorgeous though.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Environments are junk, game reviewers seem to think this game defines next gen visuals but I thin it looks like current gen xbox running at 1080p
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    And probably the only reason to buy a PS3.

[/ QUOTE ]
    it's on the 360 too
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    And probably the only reason to buy a PS3.

[/ QUOTE ]
    it's on the 360 too

[/ QUOTE ]

class.
    no reason to buy ps3!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Environments are junk, game reviewers seem to think this game defines next gen visuals but I thin it looks like current gen xbox running at 1080p

[/ QUOTE ]

so you've played it then?