Home General Discussion

300!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sonic polycounter lvl 18
Has anyone seen the trailer for 300? It's based off 300, a graphic novel by Frank Miller (Sin City).

All I have to say is, DAMN!

This is the link to the HD trailers. If you can, I highly recommend it in 480p+. If not, just click for the low res ones near the bottom of the page.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/hd/

Replies

• arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    sonic have you been under rock?

hahaha, there have been like 12 threads for this over the past 6 monthes.
    and yes it looks awesome.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    lmao at sonic.

you are soooo slow.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I saw that a while ago.. I was just wondering how its based off of Frank Miller's Sin City and not the original "The 300 Spartans" (1962) that they're ripping every line from... I dunno maybe they're just using Miller's style?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055719/
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Its based off of Frank Miller's 300, not Sin City.

Wait until the movie is out to say they ripped every line.

Unicorns like apples.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    "The 300 Spartans" was based on reality; the real battle of Thermopylae. 300 Spartans and a small militia force held off the Persian army (of about 250,000 men) for 3 days. This was meant to give the mainland forces time to prepare.
    Frank Miller's 300 exaggerated and romanticized the truth. In Miller's version, it was strictly only 300 Spartans, against a MILLION Persian soldiers.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    And nothing but loincloth between them and the enemy.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still looks good, still waiting...
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "The 300 Spartans" was based on reality; the real battle of Thermopylae. 300 Spartans and a small militia force held off the Persian army (of about 250,000 men) for 3 days. This was meant to give the mainland forces time to prepare.
    Frank Miller's 300 exaggerated and romanticized the truth. In Miller's version, it was strictly only 300 Spartans, against a MILLION Persian soldiers.

[/ QUOTE ]

The entire Persian host was allegedly a million strong. And even if it was exaggerated, it's kind of irrelevant - it's not like all 250,000 Persian soldiers were able to engage the Spartans at once. And to be an even bigger geek about it, we're trusting the word of Herodotus on the size of the Persian army, and his numbers had to be based on Greek estimations.

The 'few stood against many' bit is all that matters, regardless of what the numbers were. No one knows exactly how many Mexicans besieged the Alamo, but it's still a good story.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    hehe.. ok the trailer ripped every line
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Very true, Vermillion. The story and fight of Thermopylae are what matters.

Eld, that's not far from the truth, actually. A lot of Spartans chose very little armor. At most, they would wear a leather chest plate, and possibly leather legging's, along with their helmet. They chose mobility over heavy armor, as they were skilled enough to fight.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    actually, even in frank miller's adaption, the spartans did not fight alone but were joined by other greeks.

trailers are looking good but the lines do not work for me. strong in the comic, weak in the movie so far.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago, bare chested muscular men in loincloth is by far less armoured than leathery armoured ones, but anyway, it does look insanely awesome in the trailer, so I'm not complaining smile.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I don't know about you guys, but my manly/hairy chest is much stronger than leather. But seriously, if you were in a medieval war battle, what would scare you more: some pansies in full armor, or huge muscular men wearing little between their package and your face.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know, but the brutal confidince and anger of a shirtless hairy man will never cease to frighten and amaze me.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't know, but ... a shirtless hairy man will never cease to ... amaze me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ghey.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Ancestral law in ancient Sparta mandated same-sex relationships with youths who were coming of age for all adult men, so long as the men eventually took wives and produced children. The Spartans thought that love and erotic relationships between experienced and novice soldiers would solidify combat loyalty and encourage heroic tactics as men vied to impress their lovers. Once the younger soldiers reached maturity, the relationship was supposed to become non-sexual, but it is not clear how strictly this was followed. There was some stigma attached to young men who continued their relationships with their mentors into adulthood.

Homo love bond = Invincible

That's why the US Navy is so amesome
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    lol that makes me wish I was born at Sparta
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm definitely going to be hitting theaters for this one, very excited for it.

In the meantime...Smokin Aces this weekend will tide me over!