Home General Discussion

Pan's Labyrinth

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
Just got back from what was easily the best film of the year, Pan's Labyrinth (I think it's technically a 2006 release, but maybe not).

I don't want to spoil anything, but it's beautiful, horrific, and moving all at once- a rare movie indeed. Go out and see it by all means. But for those with kids, do not believe the trailers, this isn't the Dark Crystal or something. It is a really graphic and often times brutal movie.

Two thumbs waaay up. One of the best movies I've ever seen.

Replies

• animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    i was actually very disapointed. i thought it was going to be way more fantastical than it really was. You barely saw anything fantasy related. I wouldnt say it was bad, I jsut wouldnt say it was great either. when it was over i just felt, "meh". I guess from the previews, I was expecting a really dark narnia or something, where she escapes to this fantasy world. So, perhaps I was expecting something different and that's why I was disappointed. Sometimes I like movies better when I think they are going to be utter shit, and then Im pleasently surprised.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    yes sir, i liked it.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    I saw it Friday night and haven't stopped thinking about it since, truly magical and fantastical! The few fantasy moments are used sparingly with good reason, they make you if anything appreciate how special they are, keep in mind Ofelia was merely visiting the other world and not living in it. The Creature designs especially Pan was awe-inspiring and must be seen if not once on the big screen in the dark to truly appreciate. Guillermo del Toro's a great storyteller who has brought the film world something truly unique; I'm really juiced for Hellboy 2. By the way I encourage you see the film first before actually viewing any of the promotional videos on IGN, I think it would really ruin the experience for you since it gives away certain things not to mention soften some of the impact you get from viewing it for the first time. All in all you owe it to yourselves to check this masterpiece out.

Marcus Dublin

Artist - Kaos Studios
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Looked like one big Tool music video to me from what I saw of the trailers, I can't wait to actually see it. I really should go see it.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    saw a screen last monday for it. really enjoyed it. went in not knowing anything about it and that helped me enjoy the movie some. definitely a worth while movie to see.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I loved it, it was much darker than I was expecting, and we've already had a thread on this, but I guess another can't hurt smile.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I enjoyed it.

Seeing it again tonight.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    i still have to see it, and really want to... has been a while too since i was able to see a movie in spanish (i assume they left it in spanish ?)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, it's in Spanish, with English subtitles (if you're watching it in an English-speaking country, anyway!)
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    I'm going to have to give it a "meh".
    Perhaps it was what some touched on in this thread already about expectations being different or perhaps it was because I just saw Children of Men and loved it so much.

Meh.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i liked it as much, perhaps a bit more than children of men, which i also thought was an excellent movie. Loved the mix of fantasy and reality in the movie, to me it seems pretty obvious that all the fantasy bits were just in her head, a way to escape the grim life she had.

on a side note its a fucking shame that with movies like this and children of men in theaters now.. you have crap like "night at the museum" and "stomp the yard" making all the money
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Loved it. A very moving, at times shocking and visually striking film. I wish I spoke Spanish so that I could see more of the actual film.

*SPOILERS*

Her eating the grapes really irked me. It seemed out of character, and there was a distinct lack of remorse over causing the grizzly deaths of the fairy creatures she loved so much.

Evil el capitan's knife wounds would have caused him an awful lot more trouble than they did (and darn, grizzly though his death was, I wished it was slower).

Very sad though the ending was, I really liked the concept that If time allows, you get to construct a nice little dream concept of a safe place to go to, particularly given that I dont believe in an afterlife. Some of the concepts in the film reminded me of Jacobs ladder. Fantastic stuff.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Daz:

I was irked by the grapes too, but then I began to see why.

*SPOILERS ABOUND!*

The whole idea of the underground world, the characters, etc. were a parallel for the civil war that was going on at the time with the rise of fascism in Spain.

Remember when the Captain refers to his unborn son at dinner living in the new, wonderful world he would help create? The means by which that was achieved was by folks like him following blindly the orders of the fascist dictators. Ofelia is told by the faun to do exactly as he says, and she will be granted access to this strange new, wonderful world.

Ofelia wants change, sure, but at some point she decides to have change and think freely as well. in the scene you're referring to she not only disobeys, but chooses a different lock box than the one the faun's minions tell her to open. She is thinking on her own free will, deciding her future, the opposite of what a fascist dictator would want any citizen to do (You could even go a step further and notice that her decisions are marked with red, the color of the rebel's propaganda books. Note the heavy use of red in the end scene).

At the very end she ultimately chooses to not kill the innocent for the new world, something Mercedes suggested to her brother would never happen when she points out that killing only leads to more killing.

Man, I loved this film. I can't wait to buy the dvd.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Ah right ok thanks Nick. It definitely seems like one of those movies you could watch several times over, and continue to figure out new stuff.
    One thing that confused me historically whilst watching is that most of the reviews I read said it was set during the Spanish civil war. I thought the Spanish civil war was in 1936 and only lasted a couple of years, and yet this was set in '44. But I guess there were uprisings happening against Franco brought on by WW2.

This movie made me just stick 'The Devil's Backbone' at the top of my Netflix queue. Have you seen it?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I really wanted to like this movie, i really did, but i couldn't watch 75% of it because i couldn't stand to watch the other parts. Its not that its a bad movie, its just i like the girl would rather see only the world that doesn't exist. The director made sure that no one knew what they were getting themselves into by going to see that movie. Because if he didn't not many would have gone to see it in the rite light. That light being that of innocence, and what all we will do to keep ours.

That said, i will not be watching this movie again. I don't need to be reminded of the evils of humanity and its invisible affects on children.

I'm with daz, i wanted his death to be much longer, this coming from the guy who only watched two deaths, the farmers and the bad guys. It was yet another point made though, there is nothing that could have been done to make him pay for what he did to others.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    the last 2 seconds of him knowing his sone, his legacy, the ONLY thing he cared about, would never know his name. that was pretty much all the torture for his character that was needed.

i don't get what you mean the director made sure no one knew what they were getting into with seeing the movie?

i hate Movies that tell you the whole movie in the trailer, i would much rather be suprised,, and i was pleasently suprised,, i was glad that it wasnt a complete fantasy fairy tale movie.

Daz i saw Devils backbone back a year or so ago, and really enjoyed it,, Cronos, was pretty good also, but not as good as DB
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to go watch this in the theatre in a couple hours.

I've already seen it, mind you, but it deserves my money.

It's great too, since I speak spanish, I don't have to read subtitles for once.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I enjoyed it very much. Visually striking, though thats to be expected from this director.

Didn't expect it to be quite so grizzly, but I thought it was great anyway. Very moving in parts.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Fantastic. Loved the whole back story with the civil war, it tied in very nicely. The music was fantastic as well.

Pale man is probably one of the most creepy things I have seen in a long time.

Can't wait for Hellboy 2.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    A beautiful film. Not much more to say that hasn't already been said here.

[ QUOTE ]
    This movie made me just stick 'The Devil's Backbone' at the top of my Netflix queue. Have you seen it?

[/ QUOTE ]I've seen it and would reccomend it to anyone who enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth. The two films have quite a lot of thematic and stylistic similarities, both using elements of fantasy to underscore stories about the Spanish Civil War as seen through the eyes of children.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Meh. I was pretty dissapointed. I would go see both halfs of the movie seperately. But there was just a giant disconnect for me. The fantasy was'nt really all that fantastic. The creature effects were fairly good, but it was all horribly predictable, especially since the end is given away within 5 seconds of the start of the movie.

I base my likes on movies by the thrill or chills they give me. This movie did'nt excite me at any point, and the gore was pretty boring to an avid horrer movie watcher. I hate to be so negative, but it just had so much unreached potential. I also agree about the grapes, baffled me.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    There was an interview with Del Toro on NPR this morning in which he shares some fascinating tidbits about inspiration, story, creature concepts etc. You can hear it here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7000935
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Fabulous movie, and a fabulous interview. Everyone should listen to the interview & see the movie.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Seen the movie last weekend, excellent film. Cheers for the interview link very insightful...
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I was sooooo glad this was not another retarded fantasy movie...Tastes differ, but I don't see where people are gleaning two types of films from this..I think it was laced together perfectly...I guess if you were expecting David Bowie to pop out and sing about how fantastic his package looks in tights,to a handful of muppets.....oh well. It was a beautiful nightmare....King of the Baby eaters with skinny legs is still creeping me out
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Not that theres anything wrong with Bowie singing to muppets, mind.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    ya, the Pale Man was seriously one of the creepiest things I've seen in a very, very long time. The fact that he was able to make something that scary, well lit, in plain view is absolutely fantastic!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Sorry to bring up a dying thread but I just saw the movie last night. Looooved the characters. My question though is who was Pan? There's the Faun, the toad, the Pale man, the root baby, the fairies,... which was Pan?

The actor that played the Faun and the Pale man (same fella) did a great job. My favourite scene out of the entire flick was the Pale mans scene, very scary.

If you check out the official site for the movie theres some behind the scenes stuff on the different characters. It's worth a look to those anyone interested.

http://www.panslabyrinth.com/
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Traditionally Pan is Usually depicted as a Faun...That interveiw Daz linked with Deltoro explain's the reason for using Pan in the title..It's worth a listen
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    i saw it too since children of men only had one showing and it was late at night... however i was quite happy with the alternative, pans labyrinth. i thought it was perfect the way the realism and fantasy bits were mixed and produced a very nice film.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    I liked it a lot. I thought I'd have a problem with the subtitle bizness but it didn't detract at all. It couldn't all be so much fantasy since the war aspect played a big part in the plot and all. I'd go see it again.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Wow...
    Just got back from seeing this flick and I was completely shocked how good it was. I can see how such a smaller audience would pull this one in but for me I can't stop thinking about it.

nitzmoff, that was spot on man! I loved the way you worded that and it really enlightened the whole story to a new level with me.

The art was amazing, the story was brutal, and hearing Del Toro describe the characterization in that interview just really wrapped it all up for me. SEE THIS MOVIE!