Home General Discussion

Company of Heroes

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
I just got to check this game out as I've been on an RTS kick as of late. To those who haven't, I highly recommend you check it out as well. It's one of the best (art wise) RTS's out there, if not the best. The level of detail up close (4000 triangle characters, for instance) is stunning. The immersion, the terrain, the audio, the economy system - all tight.

A lead programmer from tools team for that engine works with me so he was telling me some interesting details about the engine and how it was done is pretty interesting. I doubt I can say much so I'll keep it mum.

Replies

• Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    I've been meaning to pick this game up for a while now. I didn't get myself too into the demo, but I'm sure that's only because I played one or two rounds. I just have to suck myself out of Dawn of War first, as both games got rave reviews.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It's certainly a good game.
    Even my monster rig I build last September (right before the game came out) can't play it maxed out. It's very demanding. Lots of alpha, lots of shaders. Eyecandylicious smile.gif
  • FightingChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FightingChance polycounter lvl 17
    I haven't played it myself but I looove Relic. Can't wait for Homeworld 3! (if it gets made at all...)
  • AlexanderLawrence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexanderLawrence polycounter lvl 16
    Most the guys in the office have been playing CoH after work every day for a month or so. It's the best RTS I've played.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    great game! bought it for 19.99 at best buy.

Too bad Relic never bother to fix the internet code to allow for 2 people behind the same router to play online together using the same external IP. It was busted in Warhammer and its busted in CoH.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    They also don't seem to have fixed the engine to work with dual monitors, at least not on any system I've played it on. I hate it when I scroll the battlefield in the direction of my second monitor, accidentally click and end up switching back to Windows. :P

I'm a big Relic fan, quite possibly to the extent that I'm also an Epic fan. Dawn of War has been my crack, off and on, since it came out. I love Company of Heroes too ... though since the Dark Crusade expansion was released, I haven't been able to leave my Necrons long enough to smack down some pansy Amerikaner. I'll have to soon though, thanks for the reminder. smile.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Picked up both W40K and CoH a few months back....IGN gave CoH PC Game of the Year, but I've been dinking around beating older games on the shelf. I just beat Homeworld 2, and I love Relic's work, so I'll make the plunge soon!
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    I've been playing this as well, long time since I've enjoyed a game this much. I liked Warhammer's type of gameplay but felt it was too limited and too small scale. This took care of both those things. Very tactical game. As soon as I've finished the so far kickass and varied single player campaign I'm going to play this over the internet with a friend, see how cool the game is with two human players.

It also looks amazing. Relic kicks ass.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    yes,yes it is an amazing game.

completed the single player pretty quickly but I love the multiplayer. Unfortunatily im not hardcore enough to play online multiplayer(I still cry when i lose),but I play 3 way CO-OP with my dad and a friend normally against AI and it rockzors!!.

Im trying to make a tank for it to see if I can get it going in the game but relic havent yet relased the model importers. Anyone else concidering doing some mod work for it? Looks like damn fine engine to dam up those urges to mod/make an RTS game.

John
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah. Resource hog, but very fun & very pretty.
    LOOOOOONNNGGGG Loading times though.
    Runs a little chunky on my system @ nearly max settings.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Yay for Johnny! The game looks ace I am quite surprised at the visual quality, better than some fps I have played. But alas, the rts genre can go fuck itself I hate, so much stress constantly clicking and managing, I get enough stress at work clicking and managing.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    i haven't been interested in a new rts in a long time smile.gif
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Its such an awesome game. I picked it up the week it came out. Unfortunately, it runs like complete shit on my machine. It literally takes 15 minutes to load a level. It looks great, and the in game cinematics kick ass, but my poor computer cant handle it... So it's collecting dust right now.

My only complaint really is that the gameplay is almost identical to Dawn Of War. I guess that's not too bad, because DoW kicks ass, but it's a little annoying.

Most modern FPS games play exactly the same and nobody says anything, so I guess maybe I'm just being picky?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yay for Johnny! The game looks ace I am quite surprised at the visual quality, better than some fps I have played. But alas, the rts genre can go fuck itself I hate, so much stress constantly clicking and managing, I get enough stress at work clicking and managing.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, suck it up princess! I'd hate to see you in a game of chess. Haha.. :P
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My only complaint really is that the gameplay is almost identical to Dawn Of War. I guess that's not too bad, because DoW kicks ass, but it's a little annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Errrmm ... really? smile.gif I think when you can play it in its full splendor, you'll change your mind. Playing CoH as if it were DoW will get you a lot of dead soldiers and not a very good online ranking!