Home General Discussion

I wanna overclock my new pc.

Hi guys.

So i have my final pc build.
The new mem came today.
Now i want to give it a little juice by overclocking a little bit.

The specs are:

EVGA NForce 680i SLI Mobo
EVGA 8800 GTS
2Gb Corsair XMS2 800Mhz PC2 6400 CAS4

I dont know nothing about overcloking (literaly) so i would like some info from more experienced users so i can pull a little more from my machine.

Some CpuZ pics.

cpuz1.png
cpuz2.png
cpuz3.png
cpuz4.png

Thanks and i hope to hear some advices. smile.gif

Replies

• PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    Might want to check your bios to see if your ram is running full speed. It looks like its running half.

Not to mention, that I see absolutly no need to overclock this baby yet.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats what i think. because i think it has to say 800Mhz on the memory frequency. altho it says 400Mhz.
    The memory is SLI ready. I went to the bios and check the memory part and its enabled. The Sli mode of the memories i mean.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    ddr is double data rate, 400 mhz actual speed is what they consider 800 mhz speed since you have the transfer rate of 400 mhz being doubled.
    my friend recently got his core duo 2 to 4.12 ghz, from the stock 1.8 ghz (iirc). it was crazy fast when running super pi, i think he got 14 second 1 m super pi times... possibly, my sucks but somehwhere around there.
    he gets 31 sec 1 m times with it at stock... which is sad because that is what i get with my athlon 64 3200 overlcoked to 2.7 ghz and his is at 1.8 ghz.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    May need to set the bios memory multiplier to 2.

I'm sure you can crank the fsb on that up a chunk, thus overclocking.

stock speed for 6300 is 1.86 GHz, 6600 is 2.4 GHz.

Got my 6300 at 3.22 GHz.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. What is your reason for doing this, bitmap? When you overclock, you risk a number of failure issues and can shorten the lifespan of your components. That may be worth it if your hardware can't otherwise handle games you want to play, but I can't think of any games your new rig wouldn't handle fine at maximum resolution and detail.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. What is your reason for doing this, bitmap? When you overclock, you risk a number of failure issues and can shorten the lifespan of your components. That may be worth it if your hardware can't otherwise handle games you want to play, but I can't think of any games your new rig wouldn't handle fine at maximum resolution and detail.

[/ QUOTE ]
    this is a common misconception. you're not stressing your components more unless you raise the voltage. and even then, if you raise the voltage it really will not harm the hardware unless you riase it a lot. and you cna sometimes overlcok a fair ammount without needing to voltage raise. i have my processor overlcoked 700 mhz without raising the voltage, and its stable as a rock. and my friend got his core 2 duo to 2.5 ghz i think without any voltage raise.
    the biggest risk you run is overheating... however you'll notice a lot of problems before somethign permenent happens. although i wouldn't go for 4.12 ghz on air though, my friend used his phase change unit he built, made his temps go around -50.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah.. The pc as it is i totally cool. But ive been reading stuff about overcloaking and stuff and my components are awesome to oc. and i mean.. a little bit of oc didnt hurt anyone. laugh.gif
    am i right? amd right? who's with me?
    raise your hands! .. no.. anyone?

frown.gif
    lol
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would go for it. just don't be stupid and you'll be fine... i was asked to fix this guys computer and he had an overlcoking motherboard... it seems he raised the cpu voltage as high as it would go for no reason at all! it fried his l2 cache and his windows would only boot if the l2 cache was turned off in the bios.. but as you cna imagine it was slow.
    so don't do that, lol, and you'll be fine.

edit: i just noticed i can't type overclocking correctly unless i really really try. wink.gif
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh.. i thought you mispled it to make a joke on the guy..

Over"cooking"
    lol
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    this is a common misconception. you're not stressing your components more unless you raise the voltage. and even then, if you raise the voltage it really will not harm the hardware unless you riase it a lot. and you cna sometimes overlcok a fair ammount without needing to voltage raise. i have my processor overlcoked 700 mhz without raising the voltage, and its stable as a rock. and my friend got his core 2 duo to 2.5 ghz i think without any voltage raise.
    the biggest risk you run is overheating... however you'll notice a lot of problems before somethign permenent happens. although i wouldn't go for 4.12 ghz on air though, my friend used his phase change unit he built, made his temps go around -50.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know how it works. I've killed one CPU (a Celeron 300A, of all things) and a pair of dimms by overclocking, so I'm not exactly keen on the process. Beyond that, I simply find things are more unstable in general - game lockups, rendertime errors in Max, etc.

Still, I don't object to overclocking in general, just when it's not terribly beneficial. If bitmap wants to play Unreal at 120fps instead of just 100fps, it's his call, but I don't see any point in it.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i notice the decrease in rendering times with my cpu overclock. and you're right that it can be unstable. thats why you use cpu stress test, find your limit, then downclock it lightly below that limit. i have not had any cpu/ram related errors since i've been overclockign my current hardware (although one of my hard drives is on its way out). i'd say it would be worth it, but i love speed crazy.gif
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    I think Bitmap understands that it's not completely necessary, but because he knows it's possible he wants to satisfy his curiosity. That said though, if you are a complete noob to overclocking then seriously, don't practice on your brand new beast of a system that just cost you a month's pay (maybe I don't know). If you really must see what it's all about then go buy an AMD socket A system off ebay for a few bux. Then if you leave a small crater in your bedroom floor, no big deal at least you still have the beast smile.gif Make sure you get a Barton one though, they are awesome overclockers. I had a 2500+ that I whacked up to 3200+ speed with the stock cooler smile.gif
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think Bitmap understands that it's not completely necessary, but because he knows it's possible he wants to satisfy his curiosity. That said though, if you are a complete noob to overclocking then seriously, don't practice on your brand new beast of a system that just cost you a month's pay (maybe I don't know). If you really must see what it's all about then go buy an AMD socket A system off ebay for a few bux. Then if you leave a small crater in your bedroom floor, no big deal at least you still have the beast smile.gif Make sure you get a Barton one though, they are awesome overclockers. I had a 2500+ that I whacked up to 3200+ speed with the stock cooler smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you said it. its pure curiosity. i wanted to see if i could get more of it. anyway. im very much happy with it right now. so i guess i'll pass until i know some more stuff about OC. i mean..
    i dont even know what a FSB is or what it does. lol.
    has it is i can play everything at full specs. laugh.gif rainbow six and what not.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Make sure you get a Barton one though, they are awesome overclockers. I had a 2500+ that I whacked up to 3200+ speed with the stock cooler smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Did the same thing with my last comp smile.gif, though had an aftermarket air cooler.

But that doesn't compare to the overclockign potential of the 6300 core duo. Overclocking from 1.86 to 3 GHz (or more) on stock volts is the norm. Which is faster thant he stock speed of the x6800.

From newegg:

e6300 = $ 195.00
    x6800 = $ 958.00

So you could actually blow up 4 of them (doubt that would happen), buy a 5th and only be $17 over what it would cost for one x6800 hehe.

The 6300 and 6400 have 2mb cache whereas the higher ones have 4mb. But from what I've read there is no noticable difference, and certainly not enough to warrant the price boost.

Bitmap, check out here http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17612922 and dig through the forums for more info on overclocking. There is a lot of info on overclocking the processor you have so you can get a good idea of what you can get.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    play with fire, you might just get burnt
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's pretty much the point Jarrod and I made: you won't need to increase the vcore, so you won't be producing more heat, so you won't get burnt. At worst you're computer would be unstable, so you just clock it down a bit and test, keep doing that until it's stable.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    You have the best and most expensive equipment, and you can't live with it's speed? I would seriously not overclock unless you have a heavy cooling system already in place, preferably liquid based. From teh power consumption of the devices you already have, you are looking at an easy fry.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You have the best and most expensive equipment, and you can't live with it's speed? I would seriously not overclock unless you have a heavy cooling system already in place, preferably liquid based. From teh power consumption of the devices you already have, you are looking at an easy fry.

[/ QUOTE ]
    if he overlcoks without raisingn the voltage it will be the exact same it is now, but faster. and a correction, apparently my friend overclocked his core 2 duo from 1.8 to 3.5 without a voltage raise, which is just nuts.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Just so you know, i'm a systems engineer by trade. Regardless of voltage settings you are forcing a card that was tested to run stable, to speeds it has not been rated for. The more output from a system, the more electricity shoved through at higher rates. It will generate more heat. The items he has already generate quite a bit, thats all I'm saying. Do what you want, but it's not covered in any warranty I know of.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Dude. Just print these out and stick them on your case. The more you have the faster!

2001%20FLAMES.jpg
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Just so you know, i'm a systems engineer by trade. Regardless of voltage settings you are forcing a card that was tested to run stable, to speeds it has not been rated for. The more output from a system, the more electricity shoved through at higher rates. It will generate more heat. The items he has already generate quite a bit, thats all I'm saying. Do what you want, but it's not covered in any warranty I know of.

[/ QUOTE ]
    some large card manufacturers now have it in their warranty so that overclocking is covered as long as no volt mods have been performed.
    as for not upping the voltage and getting an increase in heat... you're right but the increase is so minimal it might as well be not existant, and something that is not worth existing is also not worth worrying about. i've tested my system at stock and at 700 mhz over stock and maybe notice 1 celcius difference. however that kind of change could be from a slight gust of warm air going by, its minimal.
    so many people are afriad of overclocking because of the irrational fear of "frying" something . i'll say it again, if you don't up the vcore you'll see not damage done to your components. if you do up your vcore you still won't see any damage unless you go too far.
    all i am saying is he'll more than likely be fine.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dude. Just print these out and stick them on your case. The more you have the faster!

2001%20FLAMES.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

AHAHAH
    damn, those are ugly!!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so. im having a little issues. dont know whats going on. but when watching some videos on the net or pictures. they get these little artegacts.. the weird thing is that. they are like.. transparent pixels.. i tooks a screenshot of me watching a video on youtube i think, pasted it onto photoshop.. and if i zoomed to see the pixels (the transparent ones) i could see 3dstudio max thru them (i had max open)

i dont know whats the deal.
    im gonna update my 8800 drivers. since there are new ones. but i belive this only started to happen when i switched memeories.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you think there may be a problem with your ram, run memtest86. You made a boot disk (or CD) and boot up into it and it tests the ram, and will spot errors. Also good for testing stability if you overclock your ram or change timings.

Used this myself when I built this comp and got confirmation that it was faulty ram that was holding back my overclock, as one of the sticks was producing errors.

Run prime95 to test stability of your processor. I runs your processor at 100% doing calculations, and stops if it produces an error. So if you run it for several hours and there are no errors, your comp is stable.

To test a dual core, you'll need to run two instances of this, which you do by just running it from two different folders, then setting the 'affinity' in one to '0' and the other to '1'.

Monitor your temps with 'core temps' or intel Thermal Analysis Tool (TAT) for several minutes when you start this to make sure they are ok. When you're confident the core temps won't go higher you can leave it running. If there are no errors after several hours and the temperature is ok (try to stay under 60 C at full load) you are good to do.

Artificating sounds like a problem with the graphics card to me, from overheating or being overclocked too much as those things are known to cause it. Could be something else though I guess.

Fraid I can't help beyond that :/
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    lol bitmap you ARE SCREWED !!
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Artificating sounds like a problem with the graphics card to me, from overheating or being overclocked too much as those things are known to cause it. Could be something else though I guess." yiou will know when its your video card, trust me. it will display odd green/blue blocks and flickering blocks (semi large ones) when its your vid ram going bad, you'll see large streaking artifcts that are long for gpu problems.
    however your problem bitmap just seems like a video updating problem, certain pixels aren't updating, more so a problem with the codec than anything hardware related, possibly the 8800 drivers too since they porcess the video on the graphics cards these days and the 8800's drivers are still pretty imature. i've actually had it a few times where i was watching a video and loaded up my game engine, and through certain parts of the menu i coukld see the viodeo playing (this is with the engine fullscreen), i've also had it happen to where i am working in photoshop and can see the video through the image in was working on (no bleeding or semi-transparenc,it was fully visible).
    so odd things happen with video, that or as i said it could be the drivers. nothing too much to worry about.
    although lupus is right, it is always a good idea to monitor your temps whether you're overlcoking or not. one time my habit of monitoring my temps saved my pc since it seemed a fan on the north bridge failed and my chipset temps were through the roof, some that can easily corrupt your windows install and even your partition.
    although there is the possibility it could be your ram, but i doubt it, run memtest just to be sure. you should actually run memtest right when you install new ram just to be sure its good, otherwise rma it and try another pair, run memtest...etc.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies. you guys are awesome! (not you johny! youre not! :P joking, you know i love you)
    so i updated the drivers yesterday with teh new forceware from nvidia version 97.92 and aparently everything is looking fine again. Jarrod that thing you said about bieing in photoshop and being able to see thru the image happened to me yesterday also. i guesse it was the drivers..
    whats a cool program to monitorize the temperatures?
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Upping the clock speed on a microprocessor generates more heat, with or without more voltage applied, period. If you overclock a microprocessor you run the risk of damaging it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    water cooling doesn't really seem that difficult and some women find it sexy, SRSLY!
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Upping the clock speed on a microprocessor generates more heat, with or without more voltage applied, period. If you overclock a microprocessor you run the risk of damaging it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    yes, but i would say its a very, very, very, very minimal risk. its almsot like some of the people here are trying to use scare tactics on bitmap, lol. seriously, no worrys.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

whats a cool program to monitorize the temperatures?

[/ QUOTE ]
    It starts between your eyes and ends just above your upper lip. To quote Ralph Wigam "I smell like burning".

Seriously tho, it depends on what your mo-bo supports. Normally if it supports that kind of thing it, the software comes with it. I doubt it would work but you could try the version Intel or ASUS uses for theirs, who knows maybe you'll fry your system faster than over clocking it =P
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure what to montiro graphics card temperatures, I think there is ATI tool which I'm guessing is just for ATI cards.

For the cpu, some software take their readings from outside the cpu, and so give a less accurate result. Core Temps and Intel TAT take their readings from inside and so are more accurate. And will also give you readngs of both cores.

Also in many cases overclocking isn't actually 'overclocking'. Much of the time the lower chips in a family are actually higher ones that have been clocked down, to fill demand. I've read that all core duos are the same, but clocked down to the different speeds, and 2mb of the cache disabled in the 6300 and 6400. This theory seems to hold true considering how easily the 6300 chips match the 6700,without needing any increase in vcore.

So it's often a case of removing the underclock, instead of actually overclocking.