Home General Discussion

2006, warmest year yet in the US

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
linky
Wait, the US government reports that humans are contributing to global warming? Oh, they've held that stance since 2002!

Damn you Michael Crichton, you hornswoggled us!

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Global warming will lead to global cooling. I'm all for it. laugh.gif

Seriously though, it's scary shit. But from what all of the scientists say, it's something akin to the ending of The Day After Tomorrow. The northern hemisphere will be iced over/very cold, while the rest of the world remains pretty neutral.
    The cooling process would take some 15yrs or so, after the north atlantic current is toast. So it's nothing like the over dramatized scenario in that movie.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    This has been the warmest January that I can remember. I haven't worn a jacket all month.

That sounds a bit too cheery, Vassago, but you may well be right. Either way, there are going to be some mass migrations if this keeps up. frown.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    it sucks, there has been no snow and it hasnt gone below 40 all winter in new york, new york is supposed to be 4 degrees with a windchill of -15 this time of the year and i cant go sledding in this weather
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Bring on the nuclear winter than, bitches laugh.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Washington has been odd the past few months, wind storms and snow storms along with record setting precipitation.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I took a break from games for this winter to work up at Stevens Pass (washington ski mountain) and we've been having one of the best winters in 10 years so far.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    freaking cold here in Tokyo
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I had 2 feet of snow over the new year here in Albuquerque, NM. Denver was in a declared state of emergency.
    Personally, I'm sure that Ug Von Caveman noticed that it was getting steadily cooler, and blamed his fellow Neanderthals over-hunting of birds for the change in the weather and warned that we'd have to stop killing birds or the planet would freeze, and all of humanity would perish.
    I'm not saying its utter BS, but if you ask me on one hand to believe that the earth is billions of years old, and the period of the earth's history which was most teeming with life was when most of the planet was warm and jungle like, then tell me that by looking at maybe 250 years of data you can tell that HUMANS are the largest contributing factor to how the planet's climate changes, and that having a warmer planet is BAD.. thats just too much coexisting illogic for me to buy.

And why is it that we seem to expect weather trends to always follow linear trends when so little else is in the world?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    earth is still expanding, that always shocks me
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    [ QUOTE ]
    Global warming will lead to global cooling. I'm all for it. laugh.gif

Seriously though, it's scary shit. But from what all of the scientists say, it's something akin to the ending of The Day After Tomorrow. The northern hemisphere will be iced over/very cold, while the rest of the world remains pretty neutral.
    The cooling process would take some 15yrs or so, after the north atlantic current is toast. So it's nothing like the over dramatized scenario in that movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, you saw that discovery special too? hahahahhaa... ive been saying that since i watched that special. not sure i believe it, but meh! fight fear with fear!
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Im in sweden its 25 celcius warmer than usual for this time a year.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    We have been having really odd weather over here, yesterday it was 50 something then it snowed last night and now is 30 something. The plants are trying to bud already because its been quite warm but then we get hit with sudden normal cold temps and high winds.

I just wonder what summer will bring in terms of heat if winters are this calm.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I miss leaded gasoline and chlorofluorocarbons too but we gotta make some sacrifices, shit, Earth is were I keep all my stuff!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    [ QUOTE ]
    I took a break from games for this winter to work up at Stevens Pass (washington ski mountain) and we've been having one of the best winters in 10 years so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stevens is sick and I had great time there when I visited. Had the pleasure of 2 ft of fresh and blue skies. This was a few years back though.

On topic though. Global warming sucks and is some scary shit!!! I have a sinking feeling that nothing will happen till washington is under 20 ft of ice.
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    Go watch Al Gore's 'An Inconvenient truth', it's a very well made documentary and also very informative. It's almost criminal that there is such a strong international Lobby against pro environment solutions, especially active in the US and Europe.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not feeling the warming right now. It's colder than normal in Washington and we have had more snow this year than in past no doubt. While I can buy into the idea that global warming throws off weather patterns and can cause wacky weather like no snow or more snow its hard to buy into global warming when I'm scraping ice every night when I go home. I've grumbled a few times, "global warming? GOOD! Maybe I wouldn't have to do this shit every night... son of a b!tch did my finger just fall off!?"

I know other areas in the world are having record warm winters but does that really worry anyone? Pleasant winter weather OH NOEES stop it I can't take a mild winter! Isn't the time to get everyone freaked out about global warming in the summer during a drought?

I keep hearing about how Washington state will become a better climate for grapes over the next 20years. Sounds like its time to buy some land in eastern washington since no one is getting a handle on this global warming crap. Maybe from the sale of the land my daughter can buy a dome on mars.

Who else thinks humans came to earth from Mars after screwing it up. I bet we've been bouncing back and forth for a very long time. Ruin one colonize the other. Only we managed to screw up the earth faster than Mars could rebound hehe =P laugh.gif
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    While the mild winter weather surely is nice, I don't particularly like the idea of living in a city that will probably be underwater (just like 70% of this country) within my lifetime. laugh.gif
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I saw the "End of suburbia" movie recently. That is also a scary but true movie like Inconv. truth. PLease watch that one too.

http://www.endofsuburbia.com/
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    all I can say is these record high temps in the middle of winter are raising my concerns about summer. unless for some reason winter is becoming summer, and vise versa. in which case we'll have to invade Australia, and pillage their womens. don't ask questions, just do it.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    We had a fairly mild summer here in Michigan and now having a very mild winter. It's barely snowed at all when normally we'd have been covered in 2 feet of snow for a month by now. Frankly, I'm loving it. Fuck snow!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You say that now, but you wont when your whole state is asked to not use your water because of huge water shortages.
    Global warning and or weak snowfalls = less melt off of snow so rivers run dry and lakes get more and more shallow.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in Michigan. If there's one thing we'll never run out of here, it's lakes. :P
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dammit! This thread cursed me. I woke up to about 8 inches of snow outside this morning. It's like mother nature trying to make up for the weak December. :P Oh well, at least it gave me a good excuse to go into work a few hours late. smile.gif

Pic!
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    It's normally 16F-20F this time of year where I live. yesterday was 46. Today it's snowing, and going to drop to 16F tonight. I don't know about you, but I dont remember that as a kid. I remember predictable weather.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far this winter its been 50 and sunny one day and 20 snowing the next more than a few times. I'm talking i go to work at 9:30 am in a light jacket because its 55 out then leave to go home at 6pm in the snow where its 20 out.

I'm used to a 15 degree drop in temp over a day but not 35.