Home General Discussion

Dx9 vs dx10 comparisons...

Joseph Silverman
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/articles/447226.aspx

Is it just me, or do these comparison shots seem a little unfair? Halo definitely isn't comparable to crysis regardless of dx level, and I'm pretty sure I've seen far better water than Flight Simulator's dx9 lake.

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    hahahaha that's pretty hilarious that they compare Halo to Crysis! I'd be interested in seeing the difference between Crysis on DX9 and Crysis on DX10.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Well they're showing what they could do with DX9 (Halo) and what they can do now, with DX10 (Crysis).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool DX10 comes with poorly photochopped dramatic panorama skies!
    - DirectX9
    - DirectX10

Who writes this crap and how did they land a job at MS?

As far as Halo/cysis comparison goes, halo really isn't a DX9 game, its 8.1 or earlier. After its many delays and prolonged dev time they stuck the 9.0c sticker on it and called it good. Its not the full potential of DX9.

Why not compair Barbies dream ranch to Gears of War... oh wait Gear of War is a DX9.0c game, oh craps!
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    tech is tech, it's not like just because something uses a new api, that all of a sudden its fundamentally changing. I'd wish to quote Epic's Tim Sweeny about how much dx10 is being hyped, but I dont remember where I read the interview.
    if you look at how much shadow of the collossues was able to pull from the super old ps2, it's really just a matter of digging into stuff and make the most of it.
    surely some of dx10 things are really neat, but it's not like rendering has changed completely, nor that all of a sudden problems are solved.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Everything in that list can be done in dx9, fps is the only draw back. If dx10 does the same effects at better fps then it is for the win. Most of those comparisons were just old art versus new art showing nothing but newer art looks better than older art. Full screen motion blur and the lot are all available on the xbox360 which is not dx10.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Comparing in-game shots of the first Halo to non-in-game shots from a game engine that hasn't been released yet? Everyone knows most of that will be baked to run on average PC specs. I haven't seen anything new from Vista or DX10. Why should it be exclusive? Microsoft is giving the best Mac advertising campaign ever. Taking after Sony for treating customers like morons.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    is the fish comparing normal mapping to relief mapping (which changes the silhouette)? if so then thats just a comparison of older technology compared to newer technology... not anything specific to dx10.
    from what i understand dx10 is mainly just an improvement for programmers. certain things that once required the cpu can be done on the cards, there are now more ext for optimizations (of which opengl has had for a while). however of course there also comes greater capabilities that can be achieved because of updated shader support (sm4). i think dx10 is cool but way overhyped.